iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #706 of 3,458
Computer - > iUSB Power - > Gemini Cable - >  iDSD Micro - > SPL Auditor - > HD800s - > Mind (blown)

Not too dissimilar to my setup. Macbook Air -> Schiit Wyrd -> iDSD Micro - > SPL Phonitor Mini -> LCD2F.

Have you ever considered or tried adding an iTube to your setup?

Also, are your headphones connected with a 6.3mm jack or dual-xlr to the rear of the Auditor?

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #707 of 3,458

Not too dissimilar to my setup. Macbook Air -> Schiit Wyrd -> iDSD Micro - > SPL Phonitor Mini -> LCD2F.

Have you ever considered or tried adding an iTube to your setup?

Also, are your headphones connected with a 6.3mm jack or dual-xlr to the rear of the Auditor?

Yeah, pretty cool setup! :)

Yes, I did have an iTube, but I found that only certain recordings leant a really cool feel with tubes, while others didn't. Most of my recordings didn't so the iTube just sat there, and I got tired of putting it in-line and then out-of-line again. That's one of the many things about the iDSD Pro specs is that it promises to switchable from tubes to SS. No taking a tube buffer out-of-line: just a flick of the switch.

As for my Auditor, I go single ended, 6.3mm jack. I've tried various balanced headphone rigs, before, with HD800s and either it sounds like the music is coming in one big rush, or it looses some aspect of stereo imagery, or no effect at all. I know there are lots of people who love to go balanced HP in, and that's awesome; I just don't think it's for me.

Now, balanced interconnects are a different story, and I'm really keen on going balanced from the iDSD Pro into my SPL Auditor.

So, I take it you like your rig? I LOVE mine! :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #708 of 3,458

Yeah, pretty cool setup! :)

Yes, I did have an iTube, but I found that only certain recordings leant a really cool feel with tubes, while others didn't. Most of my recordings didn't so the iTube just sat there, and I got tired of putting it in-line and then out-of-line again. That's one of the many things about the iDSD Pro specs is that it promises to switchable from tubes to SS. No taking a tube buffer out-of-line: just a flick of the switch.

As for my Auditor, I go single ended, 6.3mm jack. I've tried various balanced headphone rigs, before, with HD800s and either it sounds like the music is coming in one big rush, or it looses some aspect of stereo imagery, or no effect at all. I know there are lots of people who love to go balanced HP in, and that's awesome; I just don't think it's for me.

Now, balanced interconnects are a different story, and I'm really keen on going balanced from the iDSD Pro into my SPL Auditor.

So, I take it you like your rig? I LOVE mine! :)

Same reason I'm waiting for the iDSD Pro. Need balance output to feed my Beta 22 & SPL Phonitor

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #709 of 3,458

popcorn.gif
Any chance of the iDSD Pro being a streamer?
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #713 of 3,458
It would be great, sure. I think the iDSD Pro should be R2R, playing DSD, obviously, and still be switchable from tube/valve to SS.

Whatever the case, though, it seems that iFi has done a drastic redesign (and they've alluded to this), so I expect the results to be nothing short of spectacular.

I posted a recent email about how iFi had announced the Pro about a year and a half ago now. To put it further I prospective, Schiit had announced the Yggdrasil back in 2013, and peeps are just now getting units.

It takes time.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #716 of 3,458

I'm finding on most tube amp/dacs that the tubes are usually bypassed when not using the amp. The only ones using them on the output stage for sure are tube dacs with no headphone amp.

Maybe @iFi audio can chime in on what the design plan or if they can add this feature.

I know the Pro probably won't be crowd designed like the Micro but I'm thinking about holding off getting another dac until the Pro is released. My Micro is so versatile that each time I think of swapping it for something else, I just change a few switches to get closer to the sound I want. Would be nice to have that versatility with both tubes and balanced in/out.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #717 of 3,458
I have so far resisted the temptation to suggest any new iFi Pro features because any such features will, in all likelihood, affect final pricing.

However, given that this is going to be a desktop rather than a portable unit, the one feature that I really think all high-end DACs should have is "analog bypass" capabilties.  Why?  Because for the best possible sound I would want to feed the iFi Pro directly into my amplifiers and then directly to my speakers, nothing else in the signal chain.

But most iFi owners will likely have other source equipment and thus a stereo or multichannel preamplifier (I use the excellent Bryston SP3 which itself has balanced analog bypass capabilities).  But for the very best sound from the DAC (which is presumably why we buy the best, we want the DAC's output going direct and unless you are into replugging your cables all the time, the only way to do that is to put analog bypass capabilities in the DAC itself.

Thoughts?

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #718 of 3,458

The iDSD Micro already has that feature with its direct/preamp switch on the bottom. It also has dual dacs and the reason iFi is taking its time with Pro is because they're having a hard time making significant improvements over the Micro including its dac.

If all you want is great dac with analog bypass, may as well get a Micro now.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #719 of 3,458
To be clear, what I meant was a true balanced analog bypass.  The Micro may be able to perform that on an RCA basis, but still requires replugging as there are not two separate sets of outputs.  For example, the Oppo HA-1 has it:

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #720 of 3,458

The iDSD Micro already has that feature with its direct/preamp switch on the bottom. It also has dual dacs and the reason iFi is taking its time with Pro is because they're having a hard time making significant improvements over the Micro including its dac.

If all you want is great dac with analog bypass, may as well get a Micro now.

Correct, that is how I run my micro.......in direct mode only. Combined with the Regen, it is a very superior dac  I'm not in such a hurry now for the pro. I still want it though. I am intrigued what it will be and how much it will cost. ifi was very open in the beginning, now it has become a top secret project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back