iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,081 of 3,458
If this can replace my SPL Auditor I will be happy, indeed. Not that I want to spend money on a new product, nor am I unhappy with the Auditor; still, for a long, long time I've been waiting in the Pro series, with my eye on the iDSD Pro, and with everything promised I simply have to give the iCAN Pro a try for starters.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #1,082 of 3,458
I'm getting bored with ifi not giving us anything to keep our appetites whetted on the idsd pro. I started scanning dsd dacs around $2000 and found one that intriques me. It is the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse. $1500 basic but it is upgradable and futureproof. I would get it loaded. There is much to like about it and I don't have to buy in on a head phone amp I don't need, which is something surely gonna happen with the idsd pro. Very nice package and very good reviews.

I recently purchased the W4S USB Recovery which really impressed me and brought their company into my sights. Still will wait on the idsd pro, but getting itchy, especially since I see something else I really like.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #1,083 of 3,458
I'm getting bored with ifi not giving us anything to keep our appetites whetted on the idsd pro. I started scanning dsd dacs around $2000 and found one that intriques me. It is the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse. $1500 basic but it is upgradable and futureproof. I would get it loaded. There is much to like about it and I don't have to buy in on a head phone amp I don't need, which is something surely gonna happen with the idsd pro. Very nice package and very good reviews.

I recently purchased the W4S USB Recovery which really impressed me and brought their company into my sights. Still will wait on the idsd pro, but getting itchy, especially since I see something else I really like.

I rather they be working on these products than updating this thread. But that's just me.

I'm sure when the iCAN PRO is released sometime this month, iFI will have plenty to say.

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,086 of 3,458
Apr 12, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #1,087 of 3,458
  @iFi audio will the ican pro include phase splitter for RCA input to make it into balance signal?

It is included, in a special way so that instead of splitting phase, the positive signal always passes directly and only the (missing on RCA) negative signal phase is inverted, with a direct coupled single stage open loop circuit. 

This means that if running single-ended in -> single-ended out no extra circuitry is added and for single-ended in -> balanced out the single ended signal is stepped up to balanced with least possible degradation.

Of course, it also means that balanced in -> balanced out signals only pass a single stage of gain without any added electronics or stages.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,088 of 3,458
It is included, in a special way so that instead of splitting phase, the positive signal always passes directly and only the (missing on RCA) negative signal phase is inverted, with a direct coupled single stage open loop circuit. 

This means that if running single-ended in -> single-ended out no extra circuitry is added and for single-ended in -> balanced out the single ended signal is stepped up to balanced with least possible degradation.

Of course, it also means that balanced in -> balanced out signals only pass a single stage of gain without any added electronics or stages.

Wooooohhh !! This will be such an awesome device

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #1,089 of 3,458

Yep.  With only funds for either ican pro or idsd pro, and not both, I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Option1:  idsd micro -> i can pro
Option2:  idsd pro only

Given there's lack of info on idsd pro at this point, and ican pro supporting phase splitting, means option 1 probably sounds more feasible.

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,090 of 3,458

Yep.  With only funds for either ican pro or idsd pro, and not both, I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Option1:  idsd micro -> i can pro
Option2:  idsd pro only

Given there's lack of info on idsd pro at this point, and ican pro supporting phase splitting, means option 1 probably sounds more feasible.

There is a 3rd option. iDAC2 to iCAN Pro which would save you more funds........

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,091 of 3,458
I was told by the ifi dealer that the iDSD has dual chip and hence a better sounding DAC section than the iDAC. Any idea if this is indeed the case?

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,092 of 3,458
I was told by the ifi dealer that the iDSD has dual chip and hence a better sounding DAC section than the iDAC. Any idea if this is indeed the case?

iDAC 2 is a single BB dac chip, and iDSD is dual BB dac chip.  However, because there isn't a battery inside the iDAC2, there's supposedly better soundquality to be had from iDAC2.

I already have iDSD and the main advantage of dual BB chip is ability to perform DSD 512 that the iDAC2 isn't able to.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,093 of 3,458
Oic. It's more for DSD files. I don't have a lot of those but they sound pretty good and natural even when I bring them down to PCM for playback.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,094 of 3,458
Oic. It's more for DSD files. I don't have a lot of those but they sound pretty good and natural even when I bring them down to PCM for playback.

Not just for file.  Most people listen to DSD 256 to 512 as realtime upsample from lower res or compressed formats.  Basically, makes bunch of older recordings that was crap listenable.  Use software players such as jriver media player, hqplayer, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back