iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Mar 11, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,052 of 3,458
The Ican pro is priced at 1699.00, you should be just fine

its not the ican i'm after.
looking for an upgrade on my micro idsd, which i use only as a dac.

Mar 11, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,053 of 3,458

Same here. The micro idsd has performed admirably as my dac, but I am seriously ready to upgrade. All along I was prepared for $1500, which is the price that we heard. That it has escalated to $2000 or more is a big jump. Not happy about that, it is now 4X the price of the micro 
confused_face.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,054 of 3,458
I believe we were discussing the pro Ican, not the idsd.

Well some were also asking about the iDSD Pro.

Price wise I was hoping it would be around $1,500 USD but after seeing the iCan at $1,699 USD I figured the iDSD Pro would sell for more, especially since it sounds like it may have more features. 

But speaking about the iCAN, I was also told that the iCan should see the light of day in April (USA, not sure that is world wide).

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,055 of 3,458

This might sound a bit stupid, but I ended up buying the micro iDAC2 + Gemini cable exactly for this reason.

My micro iDSD was mostly used as a line out DAC for 90% of the time, but was taken off once in a while for portable duties, so I wanted something dedicated to USB Line out purposes.

micro iDAC2 being cheaper than iDSD, I thought the sound will not be as good, or identical (since it uses the same DAC chip etc), but it turned out that the micro iDAC2 had a lot more clarity and openness in the bass compared to the iDSD's line out. It was a definite upgrade.

I guess the lack of onboard battery or a powerful headphone amp circuit means the majority of the cost is dedicated to line out purposes.

Now I wish if I had that iFi rack thing, but it's super expensive.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,057 of 3,458
Is the up coming iDSD Pro a Delta Sigma DAC?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-design-the-meaty-monsters-are-flying-out-page-95/60#post_10404689

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-design-the-meaty-monsters-are-flying-out-page-95/840#post_10641478

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #1,060 of 3,458
Looks like a June 2016 release date for the iDSD Pro:

The iCAN Pro is out early April.
The iDSD Pro is not imminent. The iDSD Pro is expected in June. It is possible that the prototype makes it for Munich in May.
The MSRP is still at the moment expected to be US$2,000 (ex-tax) but this is our best guess until the features are confirmed.
On the marketing side, the full specs are not released to us until close to the launch - like the iCAN Pro we have had to wait.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f30-abbingdon-music-research-ifi-audio-sponsored/idsd-pro-25523/index2.html#post520220

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #1,061 of 3,458
I got a chance to hear the iCAN Pro a few weeks ago in Charlotte. Avatar Acoustics was there and demoing with the Hifman HE-1000 and the AMR-DP777. The iCAN pro is a very good amp and it sounded marvelous with the HEK. I didn't compare side by side with other amps with the same headphones and source, but needless to say I was very impressed. They were only running it SE but I would have loved to hear it balanced. The form factor is a very nice size, it is still small, but not too small, it doesn't feel cramped like the other iFi lines. Pairing with a top flight headphone like the HEK was perfectly reasonable.

Apr 3, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,063 of 3,458
I got a chance to hear the iCAN Pro a few weeks ago in Charlotte. Avatar Acoustics was there and demoing with the Hifman HE-1000 and the AMR-DP777. The iCAN pro is a very good amp and it sounded marvelous with the HEK. I didn't compare side by side with other amps with the same headphones and source, but needless to say I was very impressed. They were only running it SE but I would have loved to hear it balanced. The form factor is a very nice size, it is still small, but not too small, it doesn't feel cramped like the other iFi lines. Pairing with a top flight headphone like the HEK was perfectly reasonable.

From my experience with a couple of amps which offered both SE and BAL out, the HEK benefits greatly from SE to BAL

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #1,064 of 3,458
Just found some decent (but silent) unboxing AND teardown videos of the iCan Pro. Looks like iFi's usual innovation inside and out. I really want this amp but the cost.......

What I noticed was the laptop style power brick. It says iPower Plus and (from what I could make out) is 15V 4A. Also noticed circuitry for the analog/tube stage appears to be on the underside of the mainboard.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #1,065 of 3,458
Just received message from Kate @ ifi. She said global launch should be by end of April. Evidently she said the hold up was the silk printing on the units. They wanted it to be more legible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back