iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Apr 13, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #1,096 of 3,458
I was told by the ifi dealer that the iDSD has dual chip and hence a better sounding DAC section than the iDAC. Any idea if this is indeed the case?

Here is a quote from IFI from the IDAC2 thread:

Sound quality is frighteningly close. So you can spend less and go for iDAC2 and not lose on SQ. Later on, more important is better ancillaries such as iP2 and Gemini which benefits all dacs.

More important consideration is if you are 90% desktop, then go iDAC2. If you are 50% desktop/50% portable, then got to be micro iDSD.

Cheers.

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,097 of 3,458
More a choice of portability vs desktop then. I could use a good portable DAC. Now if only ifi builds a portable source transport too. (Hint hint ifi)

Apr 13, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #1,098 of 3,458
Up sampling is never recommended
redface.gif

Tis true. However, I think they're talking about upsampling crap MP3s and the like, trying to squeeze the best sound out of lossy files. I don't really have any MP3s, so I wouldn't know, but I've upsampled with lossless files and I didn't like what I heard.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,099 of 3,458
iDAC 2 is a single BB dac chip, and iDSD is dual BB dac chip.  However, because there isn't a battery inside the iDAC2, there's supposedly better soundquality to be had from iDAC2.

I already have iDSD and the main advantage of dual BB chip is ability to perform DSD 512 that the iDAC2 isn't able to.

Having a truly fully balanced signal chain throughout the iDSD PRO is what I suspect iFi is really after.

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #1,100 of 3,458
Having a truly fully balanced signal chain throughout the iDSD PRO is what I suspect iFi is really after.

Yeah, I can't believe I've actually been going this long with an unbalanced signal. True, I've been enjoying the iDSD micro for nearly two years, but running RCA to XLR to the back of my HP amp has never been optimal. I even have dual XLR cables for my HD800s that I don't really get to use.

I suspect you tried the iCAN Pro?

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #1,102 of 3,458
Yeah, I can't believe I've actually been going this long with an unbalanced signal. True, I've been enjoying the iDSD micro for nearly two years, but running RCA to XLR to the back of my HP amp has never been optimal. I even have dual XLR cables for my HD800s that I don't really get to use.

I suspect you tried the iCAN Pro?

I have. But I don't want to spoil iFi's thunder.

Let's just say, right now, it's the quiet before the storm. I think the PRO series is going to be very special indeed.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,104 of 3,458

iFi USA

Official distribution handover

Southport, UK – 18th April 2016

iFi has taken over distribution from Avatar Acoustics.

AMR/iFi would like to thank Avatar Acoustics for their immense contribution since 2007. The new launches, product awards and national dealer network is second-to-none. Avatar Acoustics will always remain much respected.

iFi USA; a wholly-owned subsidiary of AMR/iFi will handle the expanding retail network and all the demands hitherto required of such a major operation. It is fully committed to serving our customers as we enter the next growth phase.

For further details, please email admin@ifi-audio.com

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 19, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,105 of 3,458
Apr 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,107 of 3,458
I read it no problem at all, but :D If only I could understand the language

BAHAHAHAHA, lol.

I used Google translate :p

I spoke to the guy who posted this on FB. Not only was he Polish himself but the way he spoke hinted that he might actually be the reviewer!

His enthusiasm for this amp, and from my own background hands-on experience with the iFi Retro Stereo 50 (a precursor for sure), the Pro iCan is an efficient, agile MONSTER.

iFi Audio might have outdone themselves...

I'm also interested in the Pro iDSD but if I can save up for the Pro iCan, I could use my Onkyo DP-X1 as source and a DHC balanced interconnect...

Just need to rob a bank or something...

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,109 of 3,458
BAHAHAHAHA, lol.

I used Google translate
tongue.gif

I spoke to the guy who posted this on FB. Not only was he Polish himself but the way he spoke hinted that he might actually be the reviewer!

His enthusiasm for this amp, and from my own background hands-on experience with the iFi Retro Stereo 50 (a precursor for sure), the Pro iCan is an efficient, agile MONSTER.

iFi Audio might have outdone themselves...

I'm also interested in the Pro iDSD but if I can save up for the Pro iCan, I could use my Onkyo DP-X1 as source and a DHC balanced interconnect...

Just need to rob a bank or something...

And the iDSD Pro will play DSD natively while the Onkyo DP-X1 does a PCM conversion before playback.
A key difference there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back