iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #3,436 of 3,456
Maybe I am biased, but I do find there is a bit more oomph with the iCAN. Not that it is a question of power it self. Also there is the very useful X-bass feature which I use quite a lot. Finally, I can use the balance XLR. So it is a kind of swiss army knife, including double up on tubes...FWIW
However, I did buy the iCAN 2nd hand to a very nice price and just couldn't resist. :sunglasses:
Thanks for your input:)
I'm looking to upgraded to another set of closed headphone, mostly because I can't use open ones, it's too much noises for my surrounding. Never heard of ZMF, but the verity closed seems to be one hell of a good headphone, not very neutral, but still, very very enjoyable.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #3,437 of 3,456
Hi, everybody - I've been using the IDSD pro for about year now. Together with a custom made linear power supply this became a DAC I don't see myself replacing for a while.

I bought the DAC second hand paying an amount that made it probably the best hifi purchase I ever made. Using it in the tube + mode which in my system gives great results. After one year I have my first issue - the tubes seem to have reached their end of life. I get from time to time strange noise and last night I got a tube error.

Can someone explain (it would have been great if a video was available) how to replace the tubes. I understand this requires opening the thing and messing around and I am not that great with my hands......

Also what would be a good replacement for the stock tubes?

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #3,438 of 3,456
Hi, everybody - I've been using the IDSD pro for about year now. Together with a custom made linear power supply this became a DAC I don't see myself replacing for a while.

I bought the DAC second hand paying an amount that made it probably the best hifi purchase I ever made. Using it in the tube + mode which in my system gives great results. After one year I have my first issue - the tubes seem to have reached their end of life. I get from time to time strange noise and last night I got a tube error.

Can someone explain (it would have been great if a video was available) how to replace the tubes. I understand this requires opening the thing and messing around and I am not that great with my hands......

Also what would be a good replacement for the stock tubes?
If you go back in this thread, there is a discussion on this. I took the jump and ordered the WE396A tubes, as someone recommended. It wasn't too tricky to open the iDSD and replace /when you have the right tool). My stock tubes was still OK, but I wished a bit more oomph. And I think that I got that....

Nov 4, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #3,439 of 3,456
If you go back in this thread, there is a discussion on this. I took the jump and ordered the WE396A tubes, as someone recommended. It wasn't too tricky to open the iDSD and replace /when you have the right tool). My stock tubes was still OK, but I wished a bit more oomph. And I think that I got that....

thanks yes I found some posts but they did warn that opening the Dac is not straightforward. In any case I will first get the tubes as I do not have anything in my stash.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #3,440 of 3,456
thanks yes I found some posts but they did warn that opening the Dac is not straightforward. In any case I will first get the tubes as I do not have anything in my stash.
If you have the right tools and follow the instructions in the video (as far I recall there is one), it is not a very big deal (although I took a very deep breath before the operation :smile_phones:) Must admit, I was pretty proud when it was done....:innocent: Good luck

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #3,443 of 3,456
Do you happen to have a link to this video?
Try these two - they are about iCAN pro, but in principle it is the same.....

Nov 9, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,445 of 3,456
Thanks for posting this!
In the meantime I contacted ifi support and they firstly confirmed the need to change tubes and secondly provided me with a video.

I am now sourcing tubes for the replacement.
Can you please kindly share the link to the video? I had mine done by a tech guy but wish to learn about it.
Thanks

Deric

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #3,446 of 3,456
What is the consensus about the best imput to use from a streamer? Coax digital, BNC, optical or USB?
I recently picked up a DMP-A6 as my streamer in the rec room so i could move my blusound node to replace some gen 1 sonos and would like to run a line to my bedroom setup.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #3,447 of 3,456
Can you please kindly share the link to the video? I had mine done by a tech guy but wish to learn about it.
Thanks

Deric

The link is unfortunately a private one and is protected by a one time password you get on your email address. I can email the movie file to whoever contacts me privately.
in whole honesty I was surprised how easy this was. For some reason I was led to believe this is a complex procedure. The only trick you need to pay attention to is to unscrew and screw back the wifi antenna.

I replaced the tubes with NOS GEs I got from my supplier and the DAC sounds now better then ever. I will probably try some tube rolling as 5670 tubes are relatively inexpensive.

Nov 15, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3,448 of 3,456
What is the consensus about the best imput to use from a streamer? Coax digital, BNC, optical or USB?
I recently picked up a DMP-A6 as my streamer in the rec room so i could move my blusound node to replace some gen 1 sonos and would like to run a line to my bedroom setup.
I don't know if there is any consensus. I have a SotM-Ultra-Neo streamer that is connected to the iDSD Pro by a USB Wireworld Ultraviolet 7, and I am happy about this. Me and my wallet (and ears) decided not to pursue this further :beyersmile:

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #3,450 of 3,456
greetings

i hooked my ifi pro to my home system amp, my home system amp has no remote control

so i tried using the ifi as dac preamp and setting my volume amp on roon at 80% volume ( using ifi also as a streamer )

but i found the volume steps on ifi was not doing it for, sometimes moving the volume on ifi as preamp gave me too much volume

so i wanted to revert back to using ifi just as dac, and control the volume via roon, but somehow the volume ( device volume ) just goes either no volume or it will dial in full volume which is weird

any help with roon to control volume using ifi pro just as a dac

or if there is a more ideal way to have good voume adjustment

@iFi audio

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back