iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Apr 3, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,702 of 3,458
It will, but Pro iDSD just as any other DAC is also affected by a product before it. That's why you'd hear a difference between i.e. a laptop and expensive audiophile streamer.

Can you please tell me in what way one channel is lagging? Is it about volume level or something else?
‘wouldn’t the best option be directly wired with cat 5 or 6, memory card or ssd connected to iDSD since it is a high end streamer?

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #2,703 of 3,458
‘wouldn’t the best option be directly wired with cat 5 or 6, memory card or ssd connected to iDSD since it is a high end streamer?
the streamer is ok it’s more a secondary almost tertiary function , i run a pi as a streamer and it works super well

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2,705 of 3,458
As a streamer would this be better or worse than streaming from a bluesound node 2i with MQA SQ wise?
I am hoping to move my node 2i to another location in the house.
Slightly worse but if you use a HAT like pi2aes it can beat thousand dollar DDCs for jitter performance , as for MQA meh lol

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,707 of 3,458

It's worth trying out for sure and moving from there.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #2,708 of 3,458
can i ask which filter u consider the smoothest
Definitely the "Apodising" filter. If a song is poorly recorded and too bright-sounding for me, my default is to switch to that setting.

Apr 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,709 of 3,458
It's worth trying out for sure and moving from there.
So directly wired isn’t the best option?, my main goal is streaming Tidal hi-fi / masters and accessibility of my flac library on a 500gb Mirco sd card / ssd drive.
is the streaming end of this unit that poorly implemented or bad sounding?, doesn’t all incoming data through all inputs go through the same dac processes?, other than some inputs being bit-rate limited.
would I be better served feeding the iDSD from my node 2i optical or coax out for Tidal streaming?, or seeking a different option for my needs?

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,710 of 3,458
So directly wired isn’t the best option?, my main goal is streaming Tidal hi-fi / masters and accessibility of my flac library on a 500gb Mirco sd card / ssd drive.
is the streaming end of this unit that poorly implemented or bad sounding?, doesn’t all incoming data through all inputs go through the same dac processes?, other than some inputs being bit-rate limited.
would I be better served feeding the iDSD from my node 2i optical or coax out for Tidal streaming?, or seeking a different option for my needs?
feeding data from source through a seperate unit is usually better due to jitter snd some other factors , if optical it’s inherently higher in jitter i’d go coaxial

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #2,711 of 3,458
Hey there,

MConnect, Tidal, 352 kHz Samples from 2L.

Why is there a "N/A", when i turn the filter button?

In my first tests i tried MQA directly and am pretty sure i got a blue or violett color too and was able to switch the Filter.

may i used another App? I couldn't remember.

Apr 4, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,712 of 3,458
Hey there,

MConnect, Tidal, 352 kHz Samples from 2L.

Why is there a "N/A", when i turn the filter button?

In my first tests i tried MQA directly and am pretty sure i got a blue or violett color too and was able to switch the Filter.

may i used another App? I couldn't remember.
if i recall filters don’t work on samples above 192 before oversampling think that’s why

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,713 of 3,458
feeding data from source through a seperate unit is usually better due to jitter snd some other factors , if optical it’s inherently higher in jitter i’d go coaxial
If the signal is getting into the iDSD from the LAN connection raw and unfiltered wouldn’t the electronics and DAC inside the pro iDSD do a better job from start to finish on jitter and the other factors as well, rather than starting with the node 2i for first unfold?
currently only 5% of my FLAC library is in high res 24 / 192 with no DSD yet and thanks for the heads up on optical vs coax.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #2,714 of 3,458
If the signal is getting into the iDSD from the LAN connection raw and unfiltered wouldn’t the electronics and DAC inside the pro iDSD do a better job from start to finish on jitter and the other factors as well, rather than starting with the node 2i for first unfold?
currently only 5% of my FLAC library is in high res 24 / 192 with no DSD yet and thanks for the heads up on optical vs coax.
MQA is bad regardless due to hidden higher noise on full unfold but that’ll i leave to you heh , gimme a sec i’ll link a good video on DDCs

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #2,715 of 3,458
MQA is bad regardless due to hidden higher noise on full unfold but that’ll i leave to you heh , gimme a sec i’ll link a good video on DDCs
I get it you don’t like MQA and to you on your equipment it is not acceptable but for me on my equipment with 95% of my music files being flac @16 / 44 rips and a Tidal subscription, MQA is a big improvement over the 16 / 44 files to me, maybe I will try qobuz high res for comparison later on but I currently find MQA quite good.
‘it would be nice if you would actually just answer a actual question if you had anything useful to add instead of just bashing MQA, I would think that wether it was MQA processing or a regular hi res file processing allowing the pro iDAC to do it’s thing from any input would be the optimal choice especially from the LAN, a good DAC shouldn’t care if it’s processing mp3, MQA, DSD or FLAC 24/192.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back