iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Apr 9, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,731 of 3,456
Please note that the picture below is from ifi’s homepage showing a 400 gb card!! Haven’t tried myself though. But why show it, if it not supported?
Ooooops, maybe we get an accurate answer from support!? :deadhorse:

I tested the exact card, which is shown on the pic, but with 128 GB. So, i already asked for it above. I had problems with several other devices with these cards. With all of my modded ipods, neither one, nor all four sdcards worked together. I don´t know if it is because of the build in controller, but every equipment with which i tested these geniue cards crashed. So, also the Pro iDSD yesterday, i had to hard reset with power unplug.

iFi seems to have already forgotten this post exchange from just this past January. There is no reason why the compatible capacity of a microSDXC card would be limited to 128GB unless it was intentionally done so in firmware, which they have already said is not the case.

The SD card standard says that SDXC (extended capacity) cards can be as small as 64GB, or as large as 2TB, but so far the largest offered is 1TB.

All of the other sizes being discussed here are also SDXC, which means the slot is SDXC capable. The only limitation with regard to the slot itself is when older units had a slot that was only SDHC (high capacity) compatible, in those cases the largest card you could use was 32GB.
I have cards up to 1 TB from SanDisk and Samsung. But the MUZO Player is the only App, which give the option to access the slot. Or is there another app, which i don´t have in mind? So, please give me input (only android, no apple or pc available actually).

I tested my Samsung Evo 512 GB Card from my Poly yesterday, formatted to exfat, doesn`t work. Shows the 6000 tracks, but than Muzo crashes and the Pro iDSD isn´t reachable anymore via WLAN, so i had to restart all. I have to test more today, but therefore i have to copy my music and format the cards aso...The 400 GB SanDisk Card FAT32 doesn´t work at all.

So, it only could be software limited...

Sorry, but i am a bit disappointed actually with an 3k device....I cried about the handling of the poly, but this a shame.

I wan´t to plug in an 1 TB card to be more flexible and don´t have any more equip. QNAP died last summer.

(2TB is too expensive and surely not managable as i know for many app´s)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #2,733 of 3,456
I agree, although I don't own an iDSD Pro and so can't test anything. I take from your post that you are trying to access these cards via the MUZO app, but what about with the front panel controls? Isn't there a way to do SD card playback using the front panel controls?

I have a $99 Shanling M0 portable, at the time I bought it the largest available microSD card was 400GB, which I used for a time before upgrading first to a 512GB, and now more recently a 1TB card, all were SanDisk Extreme and none required any special reformatting, they all just worked, in a $99 device.
Ok, tried it again. When i start the Pro iDSD with SanDisk Extreme Card U3 V30 128 and 400 GB (shown on ifi Marketing picture, only 4GB music on it), the Pro iDSD stocked in restoring Last Volume Display. Only a hard reset via Power unplug helps.

Also other geniue cards aren't managable. FAT32, exFAT, nothing...The MUZO Player shows the card, Status please wait, card isn't shown anymore, Pro iDSD crashes. Hard reset.

Either i am doing anything wrong, my Pro iDSD has a defect or i don't know what to do next...

As for the music Access you only could choose the sources itself, but control is only via App or a PC.

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_135206259.jpg
    PXL_20210409_135206259.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #2,735 of 3,456
OK I understand now, maybe a last ditch effort would be an uninstall and reinstall of that app? Can't hurt to try, maybe the issue lies with the app itself, otherwise I'd have to agree that your unit might have a defect of some sort.

Perhaps a different app might help, I've never heard much good said of MUZO, maybe try mconnect Lite?

I imagine any of these apps would attempt to index what is on the card after it is recognized, so the MUZO app crashing could be a failure there, or it could even be device related. I would suggest a restart of the Android device, close all other apps, start with a clean slate and allow the music folder to be indexed. That shouldn't pose any big challenge with a 4GB test folder, but a large folder with thousands of tracks could take a very long time and/or stress the available RAM and CPU of the Android device depending on which device it is, you'd likely not want to do a bunch of multitasking during that index process (assuming that is actually what MUZO is doing.
I already un- and reinstalled the App, cause i know this issue with the GoFigure App to find the Chord Poly. :wink:

The Pro iDSD crashes itself, before i've openened the MUZO Player App.

MConnect doesn't show those sources or i am blind!? I don't know any other Android App to manage the SDCard Hifi-Cast, BubbleUPnP, aso.

Maybe i miss anything and am the jerk, but idk. Thought it is more intuitive and self regulated. Have to to some other things now and try it later again.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,737 of 3,456
I have just tried to insert a 128 gb card (FAT32) with some flac music on, ordered in album folders. Didn’t work with MUZO, it can see the card, but not what is on it. mConnect can‘t see the card...So I am sort of lost too. Fortunately, this functionality was not the reason for buying the pro...

Apr 9, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,738 of 3,456
I have just tried to insert a 128 gb card (FAT32) with some flac music on, ordered in album folders. Didn’t work with MUZO, it can see the card, but not what is on it. mConnect can‘t see the card...So I am sort of lost too. Fortunately, this functionality was not the reason for buying the pro...
I'm able to use MUZO successfully with a 128 GB FAT32 card. It took a few tries to get it to work at first.

Apr 9, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #2,739 of 3,456
iFi seems to have already forgotten this post exchange from just this past January. There is no reason why the compatible capacity of a microSDXC card would be limited to 128GB unless it was intentionally done so in firmware, which they have already said is not the case.

You're right, we had that exchange indeed, now I remember. FAT32 file structure is the only requirement.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 9, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #2,740 of 3,456
I'm able to use MUZO successfully with a 128 GB FAT32 card. It took a few tries to get it to work at first.
Thanks - will give it another try...

Apr 9, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,741 of 3,456
*Also, iDSD Pro/MUZO won't play >DSD64 files or DXD files. And it will ignore your folder structure and just generate a long list of songs. It's particular about metadata, as well. Some of your songs will come up as "unknown" songs. It'd be great to have greater capacity (512GB) cards work, but the MUZO interface is terrible, so greater capacity just means it takes you longer to scroll through all your songs to get to the one you want.

If you're just getting started, don't bother with loading up folders of songs on a microSD card. Just put a few tunes on there to get things rolling.

This aspect of the iDSD Pro is not iFi Audio's greatest work. :unamused:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #2,742 of 3,456
You're right, we had that exchange indeed, now I remember. FAT32 file structure is the only requirement.
This couldn't be the only requirement. Please proove it...

Edit: Ahhh. Ok, maybe only the Müzo Player don't show it up. But how to control the SDCard slot in another way?

I tested about ten different geniue cards from 128 GB up to 1TB and different speed from SanDisk and Samsung.

The only card which actually work for me is the SanDisk Extreme U3 V30 128GB FAT32 with only 4GB music on it. Hard work for Müzo Player.

All other cards won't be detected from Müzo Player. It's called TF there.

Is there any other App recommended?

I actually use a SDCard to USBC adaptor to my phone and stream via BubbleUPnP.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #2,743 of 3,456
*Also, iDSD Pro/MUZO won't play >DSD64 files or DXD files. And it will ignore your folder structure and just generate a long list of songs. It's particular about metadata, as well. Some of your songs will come up as "unknown" songs. It'd be great to have greater capacity (512GB) cards work, but the MUZO interface is terrible, so greater capacity just means it takes you longer to scroll through all your songs to get to the one you want.

If you're just getting started, don't bother with loading up folders of songs on a microSD card. Just put a few tunes on there to get things rolling.

This aspect of the iDSD Pro is not iFi Audio's greatest work. :unamused:
Yes the streaming and local file management greatly diminishes what could have been a outstanding one box solution.
IMHO ifi would have been better off to not including streaming, USB, micro SD slots with a reduced price and earlier release.
One of the reasons I purchased it was due to local files handling and streaming good thing I already have a node 2i on hand or this would be returned.
That said the DAC and amp portion are amazing.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,745 of 3,456
Hello to everyone, I just like to share my experience, I have pro idsd like 3 months and today I connected to power supply, what the deference, idsd start to sound much better right away, faster, more air, better in all aspects, I didn’t buy expensive one, one of power supply from China for 100 dollars, I’m really shocked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back