iFi audio NEO Stream - Sweet Streams!
Feb 3, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #886 of 1,454
Does Roon has the option to import Qobuz (subscription option) music on an external/internal storage device? Or does Qobuz forbids this to third party apps accessing their property?
krzrc104lsl71.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #887 of 1,454
It seems to me that you have asked the question on other forums. The encrypted download for offline listening can only be handled by the original Qobuz application.
There is a certain logic, Qobuz being also a content seller, it cannot give the "keys" of its encryption to third parties. As far as I know...
On the other hand, there is still streaming in UPNP from your laptop or smartphone.

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #888 of 1,454
Thanks. I finally get it. I do not think someone has ever replied my question like you do. So I will have to wait until there is native Qobuz integration into the iFi Volumio. I do not have any idea when that will happen (or even if it will ever come to reality).

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #889 of 1,454
I justed wished there was a Google Play store available in the iFi Volumio (just like it is with the Fiio M17). How did iFi manage it to get native Tidal and Spotify integration?

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #890 of 1,454
For Tidal, it's iFi audio that developed the plugin... and a priori made it available "without their knowledge"... which allows it to be used on other platforms. For Spotify... I don't know. iFi audio often cites "open source" but has a rather particular concept... well, it's the case of a lot of companies, notably Chinese, who don't publish or cite their sources.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #891 of 1,454
Thanks! Perhaps the sollution for me is to go for Tidal then. But I do not think the RME AdI 2 pro (AKM dac +/- 2018) can decode MQA and to be honest I prefer the usage of flac files (like Qobuz uses). I have not seen the Tidal integration into iFi devices yet. So I hope there will be the possibility for offline streaming as well (like there the option to stream offline content in the Qobuz app).

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #892 of 1,454
I just read from What hifi: "There are, however, a few limitations to Tidal Connect. Naturally, you won’t be able to use Tidal Connect when you’re away from home, as you’ll need to be on the same wi-fi network, and in the same vein, you can’t use Tidal Connect to play your offline Tidal content."

So this is also not an option for me to stream offline content. Fortunately, I have up to +5000 songs on an external hard drive. If I want to stream online content, then I will have to check my internet usage frequently :rolling_eyes:

The other option is to play the Qobuz content on my smartphone OFFLINE to the RME ADI 2 pro. I am able to import the music on Qobuz there :gs1000smile:

I do not know if it will be bit perfect but it will be at least in 16 bit 44 kHz

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #893 of 1,454
I just read from What hifi: "There are, however, a few limitations to Tidal Connect. Naturally, you won’t be able to use Tidal Connect when you’re away from home, as you’ll need to be on the same wi-fi network, and in the same vein, you can’t use Tidal Connect to play your offline Tidal content."

So this is also not an option for me to stream offline content. Fortunately, I have up to +5000 songs on an external hard drive. If I want to stream online content, then I will have to check my internet usage frequently :rolling_eyes:
If you want to integrate your external files with Tidal and Quobuz and be able to stream it, at home or on the go, the best option is Roon. Roon ARC allows you to do this when way from home. Of course you’ll need a Roon Core always turned on in your home network. This is not a problem if you set up a NUC running Roon Rock but could an issue if you use your computer as the Core. Otherwise, the IFI streamers are excellent Roon Bridges. Hope this helps

Feb 3, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #894 of 1,454
Since the covid19 pandemie and the war in Ukrain, the energy price has gone way up to high. I don't want to spend too much money on energy usage. I have another hobby besides listening to music. I am single. I have to buy new race bike(s) often. These are quite expensive as well.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #895 of 1,454
Only one question (got no answer yet from Ifi support) :
Will the Neo stream support DSD 512 native over I2S ?
__
My DAC only supports DSD native over I2S (> DSD1024 _no DoP) .

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #896 of 1,454
Only one question (got no answer yet from Ifi support) :
Will the Neo stream support DSD 512 native over I2S ?
__
My DAC only supports DSD native over I2S (> DSD1024 _no DoP) .
According to the listed information it does over USB and I2S but these are the only outputs listed for "native" with no conversion.

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 8.43.35 AM.png

I have not confirmed this myself, but I am sure others can chime in for you.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #897 of 1,454
Thanx.
Pulled the trigger.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #898 of 1,454
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #899 of 1,454
Apologies if this has been answered...thread is too long to read all of it:

Using NEO-Stream as a Roon endpoint I occasionally get a split second of signal dropout where the music just drops out. It usually comes back before the DAC loses the bitstream. It happens for both local files and for Qobuz streaming. Further, I thought it might be that the NEO Stream needs a firmware update. So I used my PC web browser to navigate to the NEO Stream IP address to adjust settings. The firmware version it's running is 2.15.17 from 11 Oct 2022. Auto update is on. But even when I tell it to check for updates it just hangs on this:

1675622902612.png

for several minutes. That's true in both Chrome and Firefox. It could be the NEO Stream, or it could be Roon. I'm not sure which one to chase down first, tbh. I'm sure each will blame the other first if/when I contact them.

I'm running ROCK on a Roon-approved NUC. Hardwired LAN connection all around with the NEO Stream and NUC plugged into same ethernet hub. System versions:

1675623226611.png

The NEO Stream is connected to my Berkeley Alpha S2 DAC via coax spdif.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #900 of 1,454
I totally agree with your findings @Mr BubbaHyde, the Optibox takes the NEO into another league. The difference may be perceived as "subtle" to some users, and more noticeable when listening to good recorded music as you wisely mentioned. However, for that "little" difference many audiophiles have burned serious money. :thumbsup: :beerchug:.

Edit* Very nice pictures too
It took me a few days after initially using the WiFi connection to get Opibox up and running but your posts were helpful. The four white lights are lit now and the green. The network screen now shows ifi.local as the host. Wifi also shows an ip but I'm not seeing the wifi icon on other screens so I think I'm good. What makes this such an incredible bargain to me is the incredible clarity and presence of the built in dac and isolation provided as a better transport to my tube dac than my node 2i. Tidal connect is great so now if I could just find a decent app for Qobuz. Also, plan to get iFi balanced cable to connect to my fully balanced amp. I haven't tried many more expensive network players but wonder if this could be a giant killer. Node 2i was only one I'd ever bought and kept cause nothing else I'd tried actually maintained a connection. I think the Neo deserves to blow up like the Node because to me it is kind of the defacto audiophile alternative to the Node. The uber expensive network players are also not appealing because they don't have digital outs to be used as a transport. The Neo functions pretty well as long as I'm delibrate in using it. Thanks for the tips!
I totally agree with your findings @Mr BubbaHyde, the Optibox takes the NEO into another league. The difference may be perceived as "subtle" to some users, and more noticeable when listening to good recorded music as you wisely mentioned. However, for that "little" difference many audiophiles have burned serious money. :thumbsup: :beerchug:.

Edit* Very nice pictures too
It took me a while to get Optibox to connect to my NEO after initially using Wifi but your posts helped. It kept wanting to default back to Wifi but now I have ifi.local displaying on the Network screen and the 4 white lights are lit plus the green on the Optibox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back