iFi audio NEO iDSD - The Performance Edition is here! (INFO: Post 837, Page 56)
Nov 10, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #137 of 1,148
i tried to find out what exact Burr Brown DAC chip model is used in this new Neo iDSD, but unfortunately, nowhere is this information given!

i wonder why?

for DAC chips in these DAC decoders made by many manufacturers, it's like buying a laptop or a PC - the more current the DAC chip inside, the more likely that for the same amount of money, you get greater performance and the unit is more future proof (for a few years). yet, i can't find which Burr Brown DAC chip is inside this Neo iDSD. i wonder why?

also: it says that the Burr Brown AND the 16-core XMOS is doing a lot of the MQA decoding work, emphasis on the 16-core XMOS.

i'm wondering if the 16-core XMOS doing the MQA decoding is considered "full hardware MQA full unfolding"? or is it software unfolding? i had previously thought that FULL HARDWARE MQA UNFOLDING means that the DAC chip has built-in capabilities of doing full hardware unfolding, like the ESS 9068 chips inside the Astell and Kern Kann Alpha. here, it seems very opaque as to how much of the unfolding is done and if it's FULL MQA unfolding or merely partial?

any information or education on this would be most appreciated. thank you all in advance. it seems quite confusing to me!

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #138 of 1,148
i tried to find out what exact Burr Brown DAC chip model is used in this new Neo iDSD, but unfortunately, nowhere is this information given!

i wonder why?

for DAC chips in these DAC decoders made by many manufacturers, it's like buying a laptop or a PC - the more current the DAC chip inside, the more likely that for the same amount of money, you get greater performance and the unit is more future proof (for a few years). yet, i can't find which Burr Brown DAC chip is inside this Neo iDSD. i wonder why?

also: it says that the Burr Brown AND the 16-core XMOS is doing a lot of the MQA decoding work, emphasis on the 16-core XMOS.

i'm wondering if the 16-core XMOS doing the MQA decoding is considered "full hardware MQA full unfolding"? or is it software unfolding? i had previously thought that FULL HARDWARE MQA UNFOLDING means that the DAC chip has built-in capabilities of doing full hardware unfolding, like the ESS 9068 chips inside the Astell and Kern Kann Alpha. here, it seems very opaque as to how much of the unfolding is done and if it's FULL MQA unfolding or merely partial?

any information or education on this would be most appreciated. thank you all in advance. it seems quite confusing to me!
DAC chip capable of MQA decode is a very recent thing. Before 9068 this did not exist.
Hardware decoding means the external device is doing it, be it XMOS or ARM programmed, software decoding is on the source PC or intermediary software like Roon, doing the decode before the device.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #139 of 1,148
Looking at this new XMOS controller it seems that it does the decoding. The DAC chip is the same chip Ifi has extensively used, however it looks like only one is inside the Neo as opposed to the two (true multibit design) in the iDSD BL.

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #142 of 1,148
Thanks for the thoughts re: the Burr Brown DAC and the MQA on this Neo iDSD, guys.

Here's what i dug up on iFi's company literature, which has nothing, NOTHING at all, on the Burr Brown DAC chip's model number. very odd. anyone else using, say, the ESS 9038 or ESS 9078 (like my Kann Alpha) would list the DAC chip prominently!

please see:

"

• MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is supported through the USB and S/PDIF inputs, with full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip.
    This means that the full ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’.
    Globally, MQA has become an important consideration for any comprehensively equipped DAC. It is available through for Tidal Masters, Audirvana and Roon.
  • The Burr-Brown True Native® chipset means file formats remain unchanged or ‘bit-perfect’. This means you are listening to music as the artist intended in the format in which it was recorded.
    At iFi we use Burr Brown extensively in our products having selected it for its natural-sounding ‘musicality’ and True Native architecture. Our experience with this IC means we know how to make the most of it.
  • The XMOS 16-Core chip processes the audio data received via the USB and S/PDIF digital inputs.
    This new low-latency XMOS microcontroller has greatly enhanced processing power. Compared to the current generation of eight-core chips, this new 16-core IC delivers double the clock speed (2000MIPS) and four times the memory (512KB), as well as the latest SuperSpeed USB standard.
    iFi’s in-house digital development team has programmed the XMOS firmware to optimise sound quality and ensure a perfect partnership with the Burr-Brown DAC.
  • Hi-res audio support is state-of-the-art with True Native® playback. It handles PCM data to 32-bit/768kHz, DSD up to DSD512 and single and double speed DXD.
    Thanks to the Burr-Brown DAC chip’s four-channel True Native design, PCM and DSD take separate pathways – this enables DSD, as well as PCM, to remain ‘bit-perfect’ in its native form right through to analogue conversion. This is not the case with all DAC devices from other brands – even if DSD compatibility is stated, many such DACs convert DSD signals to PCM.
"

Nov 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #143 of 1,148
Thanks for the thoughts re: the Burr Brown DAC and the MQA on this Neo iDSD, guys.

Here's what i dug up on iFi's company literature, which has nothing, NOTHING at all, on the Burr Brown DAC chip's model number. very odd. anyone else using, say, the ESS 9038 or ESS 9078 (like my Kann Alpha) would list the DAC chip prominently!

please see:

"

• MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is supported through the USB and S/PDIF inputs, with full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip.
    This means that the full ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’.
    Globally, MQA has become an important consideration for any comprehensively equipped DAC. It is available through for Tidal Masters, Audirvana and Roon.
  • The Burr-Brown True Native® chipset means file formats remain unchanged or ‘bit-perfect’. This means you are listening to music as the artist intended in the format in which it was recorded.
    At iFi we use Burr Brown extensively in our products having selected it for its natural-sounding ‘musicality’ and True Native architecture. Our experience with this IC means we know how to make the most of it.
  • The XMOS 16-Core chip processes the audio data received via the USB and S/PDIF digital inputs.
    This new low-latency XMOS microcontroller has greatly enhanced processing power. Compared to the current generation of eight-core chips, this new 16-core IC delivers double the clock speed (2000MIPS) and four times the memory (512KB), as well as the latest SuperSpeed USB standard.
    iFi’s in-house digital development team has programmed the XMOS firmware to optimise sound quality and ensure a perfect partnership with the Burr-Brown DAC.
  • Hi-res audio support is state-of-the-art with True Native® playback. It handles PCM data to 32-bit/768kHz, DSD up to DSD512 and single and double speed DXD.
    Thanks to the Burr-Brown DAC chip’s four-channel True Native design, PCM and DSD take separate pathways – this enables DSD, as well as PCM, to remain ‘bit-perfect’ in its native form right through to analogue conversion. This is not the case with all DAC devices from other brands – even if DSD compatibility is stated, many such DACs convert DSD signals to PCM.
"
It is always, and has always been, DSD1793 chip from burr brown... no secret...

Nov 10, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #144 of 1,148
@Baten: thanks for your chip model info.
if that's indeed the chip in the Neo iDSD, then this DSD 1793 chip is from 2003!!! please see:

https://www.ti.com/product/DSD1793

scroll down to the Data Sheet and the User Guide links for downloading those and, on the far right of those two links, are the dates. The user guide is from 2003!

Can that possibly be true? that this Neo iDSD uses a Burr Brown DAC chip from 2003?

very confused and bewildered...

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #146 of 1,148
@Baten: thanks for your chip model info.
if that's indeed the chip in the Neo iDSD, then this DSD 1793 chip is from 2003!!! please see:

https://www.ti.com/product/DSD1793

scroll down to the Data Sheet and the User Guide links for downloading those and, on the far right of those two links, are the dates. The user guide is from 2003!

Can that possibly be true? that this Neo iDSD uses a Burr Brown DAC chip from 2003?

very confused and bewildered...

It's all about what one can do with a chip, not the chip itself or how old it is :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #148 of 1,148
It's all about what one can do with a chip, not the chip itself or how old it is :wink:

@iFi audio:

thanks for your comment.

while what you wrote is true, i'm just befuddled as to why one would choose to use a 2003 DAC chip? what is it that i'm missing in my head in trying to understand this please? i'm asking for educational purposes in my effort to understand this prior to making my purchase. i'm very tempted, as iFi's reputation for excellent products, especially in this DAC area, is well known, but this new revelation of a 2003 chip confuses me and is taking me for a spin!

granted, i fully realize that there is a XMOS 16-Core chip that works hand in hand with the Burr Brown DAC chip from 2003, true. still...wouldn't one think that by using a 2019 or 2020 DAC chip, instead of a 17-year DAC chip, you'd think that the combination of a 2019 or 2020 DAC chip PLUS the 16-core XMOS would be superior than a 2003 chip plus the XMOS, right?

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #149 of 1,148
Guys, this stuff has been repeated over and over every time iFi releases a new dac/amp....

They chose this chip for its musicality over sheer specs or measurements.

And yes apparently the neo has 4 of them in interleaved configuration, so actually double as much as the iDSD micro BL

Thanks for your comment/input.

Based on what you said, i got curious and googled for an internal picture of the Neo iDSD. well, here it is. i don't know what i'm looking at, but i can see that there is one XMOS as it's well marked, but i don't see any DACs that has FOUR pieces! i don't know what i'm looking at, but if anyone would care to add please, where are the FOUR Burr Brown DACs please? you'd think it's going to be very close to the XMOS for a short signal path in processing signals, right?

iFi Neo iDSD DAC - INSIDE PIC.jpg

Nov 10, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #150 of 1,148
@iFi audio:

thanks for your comment.

while what you wrote is true, i'm just befuddled as to why one would choose to use a 2003 DAC chip? what is it that i'm missing in my head in trying to understand this please? i'm asking for educational purposes in my effort to understand this prior to making my purchase. i'm very tempted, as iFi's reputation for excellent products, especially in this DAC area, is well known, but this new revelation of a 2003 chip confuses me and is taking me for a spin!

granted, i fully realize that there is a XMOS 16-Core chip that works hand in hand with the Burr Brown DAC chip from 2003, true. still...wouldn't one think that by using a 2019 or 2020 DAC chip, instead of a 17-year DAC chip, you'd think that the combination of a 2019 or 2020 DAC chip PLUS the 16-core XMOS would be superior than a 2003 chip plus the XMOS, right?

newer does not always necessarily mean better, expecially considering DACs have used the same tech for the past 25 years...it is not like CPUs, it is a relatively "stale" technology

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back