iFi audio NEO iDSD - The Performance Edition is here! (INFO: Post 837, Page 56)
Nov 28, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #331 of 1,148
My brain is bit foggy right now. Can you help me understand this sentence a bit better? Especially would like to understand your conclusion. Will you miss or not the cross-feed according to this test?
Also a huge thank you for taking your time to answer me.

What I'm saying is that I will miss crossfeed, as I think that it renders a slightly more accurate representation of stereo imaging through headphones on recordings that aren't binaural. The test is admittedly not scientific, as the differences are only shown when the signal is out-of-phase, which shouldn't happen unless the recording itself is out of phase. It's more of a hunch/theory as it makes me wonder if other intended dynamic differences in recordings for non-crossfeed systems are being masked by the "headphone" effect. It doesn't really prove anything, though, and I don't want to make definitive statements as I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough in the underlying theory.

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #332 of 1,148
What I'm saying is that I will miss crossfeed, as I think that it renders a slightly more accurate representation of stereo imaging through headphones on recordings that aren't binaural. The test is admittedly not scientific, as the differences are only shown when the signal is out-of-phase, which shouldn't happen unless the recording itself is out of phase. It's more of a hunch/theory as it makes me wonder if other intended dynamic differences in recordings for non-crossfeed systems are being masked by the "headphone" effect. It doesn't really prove anything, though, and I don't want to make definitive statements as I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough in the underlying theory.

Thank you.
My understanding from previous reading is that some (or many) recordings were specifically mastered to sound great on speaker listening (extreme channel separation). Which is what makes them not sound "normal" on headphones (too much unnatural pan for the human brain, leading to fatigue" and headaches). Which is what the cross-feed can help to fix.

1606604188614.png

1606604200254.png

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #333 of 1,148
Does anyone remember the NuForce Icon HDP? This is finally the form-factor successor for it because it's been forever since there was a good vertical dac/amp combo unit. I eventually replaced my Icon HDP with a Micro iDSD BL for portable use (when I need more juice than the FiiO E17) because it was one less power brick to worry about.

But having the Neo iDSD priced higher than the Micro iDSD Signature... I dunno. The Signature has the 3D and XBass analog tweaks, while this doesn't, and that's a real buzzkill. This one has the looks, the BT, and the promise of a cleaner signal... but losing the gimmick that makes iFi devices worth considering makes me take a pass on this one, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #334 of 1,148
Does anyone remember the NuForce Icon HDP? This is finally the form-factor successor for it because it's been forever since there was a good vertical dac/amp combo unit. I eventually replaced my Icon HDP with a Micro iDSD BL for portable use (when I need more juice than the FiiO E17) because it was one less wall wart to worry about.

But having the Neo iDSD priced higher than the Micro iDSD Signature... I dunno. The iDSD Signature has the 3D and XBass analog tweaks, while this doesn't, and that's a real buzzkill. This one has the looks, the BT, and the promise of a cleaner signal... but losing the gimmick that makes iFi devices worth considering will make me take a pass on this one, I'm afraid.
I think the design concept of both products is different. The micro iDSD Signature is intending to use portable, all-in-one solution, while Neo iDSD is desktop (home audio) use. I actually own micro iDAC2 which is DAC/amp combo but rather pure DAC is intended and preferably feed to an analogue amp. The Neo iDSD is the same, the built-in amp does not cover all. That is why I am interested in the SQ of DAC part because I will not use the built-in amp solely if I purchase it.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #335 of 1,148
I am expecting someone of the above to review the NEO as a pure DAC and combined with analogue amp such as pro-iCAN. I'm simply interested in how superior to the micro-series "DAC" (not DAC/amp combo) or equal level. I am not sure if the fully-balanced circuit really improves SQ as "DAC" only.
I will be testing the NEO in my home stereo as a pure DAC for 2.1 music and movie/TV/gaming; as a standalone integrated DAC and headphone amp with several different headphones and IEMs; and stacking the NEO with other amps such as my Monolith THX788 DAC/amp and my Chord Mojo (if I can figure out if that's possible or not lol). I will be directly comparing it with the Monolith THX788 DAC in my home stereo as well as in headphone/iem listening.

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #337 of 1,148
But having the Neo iDSD priced higher than the Micro iDSD Signature... I dunno. The Signature has the 3D and XBass analog tweaks, while this doesn't, and that's a real buzzkill. This one has the looks, the BT, and the promise of a cleaner signal... but losing the gimmick that makes iFi devices worth considering makes me take a pass on this one, I'm afraid.
I can't speak for the "3D" or "XBass" settings as this is my first iFi product, however, imho with my Focal Clear Pros....I have zero issues with bass quality and quantity lol. I say this as someone who loves and needs good strong quality bass.

This combo is not at "basshead" levels, however....with certain tracks I often ask myself...."do I really need more bass than this, running the risk of it sounding detrimental to the overall clarity and cohesion?!!" :thinking:

Headphone matching seems to be the order of the day. If you have relatively easier to drive, high sensitivity cans including some planars....you just might be more than bloody ok.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #339 of 1,148
I can't speak for the "3D" or "XBass" settings as this is my first iFi product, however, imho with my Focal Clear Pros....I have zero issues with bass quality and quantity lol. I say this as someone who loves and needs good strong quality bass.

This combo is not at "basshead" levels, however....with certain tracks I often ask myself...."do I really need more bass than this, running the risk of it sounding detrimental to the overall clarity and cohesion?!!" :thinking:

Headphone matching seems to be the order of the day. If you have relatively easier to drive, high sensitivity cans including some planars....you just might be more than bloody ok.

Great description of how the Neo sounds in the general!

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #340 of 1,148

This seems reasonable. I just received the Schiit Modius today, which I'll be comparing to the Neo alongside the RME ADI-2 DAC. The Neo evaluation unit should arrive tomorrow. Coming from the RME, The Modius does surprisingly well without EQ in the bass frequencies, which leaves me hopeful for the Neo. I shall see (or rather hear), tomorrow. I wish I had the Bifrost 2 to compare instead, since it's the same price as the Neo, but maybe at a future time. I'd love to read about that comparison if anyone has, or will have, experience with the two.

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #341 of 1,148
This seems reasonable. I just received the Schiit Modius today, which I'll be comparing to the Neo alongside the RME ADI-2 DAC. The Neo evaluation unit should arrive tomorrow. Coming from the RME, The Modius does surprisingly well without EQ in the bass frequencies, which leaves me hopeful for the Neo. I shall see (or rather hear), tomorrow. I wish I had the Bifrost 2 to compare instead, since it's the same price as the Neo, but maybe at a future time. I'd love to read about that comparison if anyone has, or will have, experience with the two.
Cool, will be interesting to hear your impressions as well as everyone else's.

Heh, was dead set on getting the RME ADI-2 DAC seeing as it appears to be the "holy grail" within it's price bracket but in the end I backed out cause I heard a few peeps in the community who weren't so thrilled with it's pairing to Focal Clears.

Fast forward to Tues November 3rd....I see iFi teasing the NEO as well as forum members posting the (leaked?) specs. By Friday 6th Nov (UK launch day), I took a risk and purchased it.

Even though I don't have much of a right to express any strong solid meaningful opinions cause I'm so damn new to this hobby without much experience/comparisons....it's hard for me not to grin when listening to this pairing lol

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #342 of 1,148
Waiting for a second hand Micro BL so I can compare it to the Tour NEO that will be coming my way this month. Also waiting for some Takstar Pro82s and AKG Y50BT to test with them both.

I'm really glad I sold my DX228; it has given me the freedom to explore other paths.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #344 of 1,148
Keep them impressions comming folks, we have our popcorn ready :)

Hello! Today my iFi Neo iDSD arrived. Tested with my Focal Elegia through 4.4mm the first impression is spectacular. I only have two doubts: Which firmware should I install, 5.3 or 5.3c?

And I have an iPurifier2 and I want to know if it improves the signal or if the Neo already includes something equivalent inside.

Thanks and great job!

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #345 of 1,148
Hello! Today my iFi Neo iDSD arrived. Tested with my Focal Elegia through 4.4mm the first impression is spectacular. I only have two doubts: Which firmware should I install, 5.3 or 5.3c?

There should be 5.3c installed on it already.

And I have an iPurifier2 and I want to know if it improves the signal or if the Neo already includes something equivalent inside.

Each our DAC features some USB cleaning technology inside. But if you have iPurifier2, please use it and see if it improves anything for you :)

Thanks and great job!

Thanks and enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back