iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #616 of 2,063
  For more info on ASIO with Foobar here is another similar procedure using a different DSD DAC

http://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/61/Configuring-Foobar2000-for-ASIO-DSD-DXD-Playback-with-exaSound-DACs.aspx

I use J.River most of the time for audio playback.

ok...thank you for the reply

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #617 of 2,063
  For more info on ASIO with Foobar here is another similar procedure using a different DSD DAC

http://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/61/Configuring-Foobar2000-for-ASIO-DSD-DXD-Playback-with-exaSound-DACs.aspx

I use J.River most of the time for audio playback.

I have used the following two foobar setup procedures ( first is the same as in your post )

http://www.auralic.com/download/dsd_playback_setup.pdf

They differ only in the device ASIO - for ifi nano iDSD, of course its ASIO .

Please note the auralic setup is a bit dated for latest versions of JRiver and HQPlayer - but principle remains the same.

I wish I could dedicate more time to the comparisons of various DSD players over nano iDSD - and particularly against playing the same DSD files directly from the Korg MR1000 recorder. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #618 of 2,063
maybe I will download jriver, just to see the differences in setup...whether its easier than foobar, to setup the player correctly...

I never did any comparisons between palyers, but from I am reading, maybe there are lot of differences, that affect the outcome...

we will see...

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #621 of 2,063
  Magenta same as for DSD128

Thank you for the quick answer. I am at the friend at the moment, trying the nano with his incomparable more powerful PC. Where is the command to play DSD natively in Jriver 19 WITHOUT DSP Studio - for the life, I can not find it. I did manage to get DXD though.

Thank you for making me, as a non native english speakerr, google up hogged up meaning -
 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hogged%20up

LMAO 
evil_smiley.gif
 !

Unhogging up in the process - please keep fingrers crossed!

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #622 of 2,063
  Thank you for the quick answer. I am at the friend at the moment, trying the nano with his incomparable more powerful PC. Where is the command to play DSD natively in Jriver 19 WITHOUT DSP Studio - for the life, I can not find it. I did manage to get DXD though.

Thank you for making me, as a non native english speakerr, google up hogged up meaning -
 http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hogged%20up

LMAO 
evil_smiley.gif
 !

Unhogging up in the process - please keep fingrers crossed!

Form my picture in post #594

Notice that the Bitstreaming is Yes and set for DSD. This tells J.River when it encounter a DSD file is to sent it directly to the DAC without any audio processing. You would have to use the iDSD to control volume as needed.  You can still control volume and playback on  PCM  files with J.River normally.   Bitstreaming=bit perfect

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #623 of 2,063

Notice that the Bitstreaming is Yes and set for DSD. This tells J.River when it encounter a DSD file is to sent it directly to the DAC without any audio processing. You would have to use the iDSD to control volume as needed.  You can still control volume and playback on  PCM  files with J.River normally.   Bitstreaming=bit perfect

There is also an area that is very important to be setup correctly and its a little hidden....    I'll do my best to describe the setting without the pictures...   when you get the screen up like the picture John has supplied...
1) Click on the " Device settings... " just under the " ifi (by AMR).... "
2) On the next screen at the top right you will see " Buffering"  I selected " 500 milliseconds "  click " use large hardware buffers"
3) On the same screen at the bottom right " TOOLS"   there click on " Open Driver Control Panel... "
4)On the next screen,  Under Status - you should see " ifi (by AMR)...usb" sample rate 384000 hz"
5) Under Buffer Settings- you should see " extra safe "  Buffer Size " 8192 samples"
6) Under Info - you should see revision " v4.02"   if not update the firmware/driver...

these settings are maxed out and should work...   they work on my computer fine and my score is way lower than what you guys are seeing....

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #624 of 2,063

When trying to play DSD256 )the last file on the screen = I get the following message-

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #625 of 2,063
For those on the fence about getting JRiver, there is a very cool $9 app for the iPhone/android called JRemote that lets you use your phone as a remote. Game changer for me. I use it all the time, and its WiFi so you can control the music anywhere in the house etc.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #626 of 2,063
  For those on the fence about getting JRiver, there is a very cool $9 app for the iPhone/android called JRemote that lets you use your phone as a remote. Game changer for me. I use it all the time, and its WiFi so you can control the music anywhere in the house etc.

Just to add a bit of parity, there is an app called Foobar con that does the same for Foobar. I actually prefer it as it gives you more control than Gizmo the Jriver controler.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #627 of 2,063
  When trying to play DSD256 )the last file on the screen = I get the following message-

Since I was able play the DSD256 without problems, I then tried to find ways to break it and found out what your problem is.
You need to uncheck DSD bitstream using DoP under Device settings(see last image I posted). You do not need DoP when using firmware version 4 or greater with the ASIO driver. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #628 of 2,063

Just to add a bit of parity, there is an app called Foobar con that does the same for Foobar. I actually prefer it as it gives you more control than Gizmo the Jriver controler.

Yes J.River will do more work in this area since they just hired a programer for this. Gizomo is fine for my needs.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89065.0

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #629 of 2,063
  Since I was able play the DSD256 without problems, I then tried to find ways to break it and found out what your problem is.
You need to uncheck DSD bitstream using DoP under Device settings(see last image I posted). You do not need DoP when using firmware version 4 or greater with the ASIO driver. 

Thank you for the reply.

The real problem was that PC had to be de-hogged up. Registry clean/repair - after the PC started (again) working like it should have, I quickly came to the same
solution as you posted. Prior to registry fix, it did not matter in the slightest - it just would not work. 

Now there are no more problems with cursor - no stuttering, whenever and wherfever I "click". I maxed out on buffering whenever possible, both in Jriver and foobar.

How loud is the transient when changing from PCM to DSD files and vice versa ? I get two ticks of unobjectionable loudness, but they give away at least change from DSd to PCM or vice versa - making blind comparison between files in different resolutions a bit difficult/impossible, even using foobar2000 ABX comparator.

JRiver 19 is quite a dominant software - whenever I select it, Korg AudioGate 3.0.2 (latest version old as of this writing 12 days) will thereafter display "No Device" - and appropriate ASIO driver for nano iDSD has to be selected from the list of options - in my case, ifi (by AMR) HD USB Audio, foo_dsd_asio and JRiver Media Center 19 in order to restore normal playback. Any version of Audiogate 2 is unaffected, as it does not require/use ASIO.

Now with nano iDSD is properly supported, I will finally be able to make some comparisons. AFTER I get some proper sleep ...

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #630 of 2,063
Any good audio program using ASIO should have exclusive and priority control to maximize SQ. Yes it does make comparisons harder.  You have have some Exclusive mode control options under  Speaker properties advanced tab in Windows. That mostly used for the standard Direct sound drivers. Yes it is normal to hear some clicking when switching between PCM and DSD. I had that issue before and I got rid of the clicking by system tuning and changing the buffer type and size in my case. Others will not have that issue at all. The tagging info in the beginning of the file needs to be ignored for playback.  One of the many things you can do is to control the amount of start-up entries in the startup folder. I use a program called CCleaner and it is one of the safest registry cleaner on the market. Others can make a mess of the registry big time. The free version of CCleaner is fine and under tools is the option to control the startup entries. I just diable the ones that other problems put in there that I do not need to know.  For advance users, autoruns is another but only for well experienced advance users. Take care and get the rest and hope that things will work better for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back