iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jun 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #601 of 2,063
maybe someone here has already talked about it...

but, what are the different colors that nano dsd must show at the top, everytime it plays each format? (pcm from 96 to 192 and dsd 64-256 etc)

I couldnt find it...I ve made all the latest upgrades in drivers (2.20) and firmware (4.02)

it changes colors when plays different formats, but which (colors) are the correct one, in order to judge if it works ok?

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #602 of 2,063
LED color:

Green: 44/48kHz
Yellow: 88/96kHz
Cyan: 176/192kHz
White: DXD 352/384kHz
Blue: DSD 2.8/3.1MHz
Magenta: DSD 5.6/6.2MHz
Green (flashing): awaiting USB connection
Red: battery low
None: battery empty
Blue: battery charging

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #603 of 2,063
LED color:

Green: 44/48kHz
Yellow: 88/96kHz
Cyan: 176/192kHz
White: DXD 352/384kHz
Blue: DSD 2.8/3.1MHz
Magenta: DSD 5.6/6.2MHz
Green (flashing): awaiting USB connection
Red: battery low
None: battery empty
Blue: battery charging

jexby, thank you very much...
beerchug.gif

copy paste the list to my pc right now...

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #605 of 2,063
I do not know if you can play Multichannel DSD thru the iDSD. Found out that will not work.  I do notice that with the Mahler piece which was recorded in DSD64 and converted to DSD256. The DSD256 file for some reason sounds much more cleaner in the highs than the DSD64 and  the hall/venue sound is much more vivid as well.  It seems to be much easier to tell the filler setting apart and now prefer the switch in the up position after the firmware update on the iDSD. I am impressed by the offerings from nativeDSD web site and the recordings engineers like from Channel Classics just know how to record performances on location.  

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #606 of 2,063

Thank you for the PM, john57 .  It really seems I have a problem with the USB - but there it seems I am running out of options/settings - NOTHING in BIOS regarding USB that could be changed ...

Just a correction: DXD is possible in JRiver 19 . In DSP Studio one has to select for Input greater than 192,000 Hz  Output minimum of 352.800 Hz.  I simply went to the max, 384.000 Hz - and now can enjoy DXDs as well.

Too early in the day to draw any conclusions in sound of DSD vs DXD - I will ask a friend to blind test me, as sighted and self testing is difficult - even with Foobar ABX, there is a click whenever it switches from DSD to PCM, giving away at least going from one to another and vice versa.

For the life, I still can not get to the screen you posted - also my friend downloaded trial version of JRiver 19 and he said his screen definitely looks different than mine - most probably the same as yours. So, DSD256 still unplayable at the moment.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #607 of 2,063
Afternoon fellas,

I'm having an occasional problem that is driving me up the wall an I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same?

Random tracks that are playing via either Foobar2000 or JRiver are sounding ear pulverisingly distorted, to the point I am forced to tear my headphones from my head, in fear I may be deafened :frowning2:

This is completely random, but I believe (not 100% sure) that it is dsf tracks that trigger it when it does happen. It's hard to troubleshoot as it might only happen 1 in 30 times.

I am wondering what plugins or drivers people have installed for ASIO? As I wonder whether this could be a factor?

EDIT:

Hmmm, Analogsurvivor, I wonder whether I am having a similar problem to the 'loud static' you were describing before?

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #608 of 2,063
On my setup I only use DSP Studio only when I want to convert or resample audio files. I leave the check mark uncheck next to output format.  That way all the audio files will play in their native sample rate. For DSD files the bit streaming option is turn on in the device driver. When I play back the DSD file J.River will then know that my device(iDSD) is able to play back the DSD file natively.  Just think of using DSP Studio to make changes during the playback of the audio files. Since iDSD can playback most audio files under the sun you really do not need DSP Studio enabled to playback of audio files that iDSD do not recognized.  Now days the only reason I use DSP Studio is to convert PCM to DSD. When that happens all the sample rates settings are showing no change, just output encoding is changed. Another reason to use DSP Studio is to convert multi channel files into stereo.

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #609 of 2,063
  Afternoon fellas,

I'm having an occasional problem that is driving me up the wall an I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same?

Random tracks that are playing via either Foobar2000 or JRiver are sounding ear pulverisingly distorted, to the point I am forced to tear my headphones from my head, in fear I may be deafened :frowning2:

This is completely random, but I believe (not 100% sure) that it is dsf tracks that trigger it when it does happen. It's hard to troubleshoot as it might only happen 1 in 30 times.

I am wondering what plugins or drivers people have installed for ASIO? As I wonder whether this could be a factor?

EDIT:

Hmmm, Analogsurvivor, I wonder whether I am having a similar problem to the 'loud static' you were describing before?

It must be some computer problem - I know too little about to give any qualified opinion, but it can be USB, buffering, etc. Computer guys usually take sound as the last thing important, so get familiar with the software on your machine and learn to set it up right. It is highly unlikely you will get someone willing to watch over ocasional (mis)behaviour of the comp with hirez files - because finding just which little ommision in Windows or whatever is causing the problem and in which combination with which other softwares present on your machine can take days. 

It can be that only one player should be installed on one machine. Korg Audiogate V3.0.2 "sees" ASIO driver of JRiver 19 - and most probably vice versa. 

That "loud static" is LOUD - think close to or equal to 0 dB. Not something I would be comfortable of using with rare (vintage, next-to-irreplaceable ) speakers .
It is 99.99999 % not the Ifi problem, but user's computer (settings) .

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #610 of 2,063
I have a question for you people...

I have the latest version of foobar and made all the upgrades in the drivers of nano dsd (firmware 4.02-windrivers 2.20)
I run a win7 64bit pc with 8gb ram...

now, I choose from the fbar> preferences > output devices > "foo_dsd_asio"...
then Asio > asio drivers >and double click on "foo_dsd_asio",  to open a new window with properties...then I make the choises you see at the 2nd photo...then, at tools > sacd and make the choises you see at the 3rd photo

everything ok then...

the first question is why if I choose in the outpout devices the "asio: iFi (by AMR) hd usb audio", instead of the "foo_dsd_asio", foobar starts palying dsd files (I see the bar moving as it plays), but there is no sound at my speakers...I can hear nothing when trying to play dsd files with the "asio:iFi hd usb audio", but it can play all kind of pcm formats I "throw" at it...again, when I choose the "asio:iFI"...is this ok?

now the second question...

when I choose "foo_dsd_asio" and all my choises in "small boxes" when double click on it, are correct (asio drivers - dsd playback method - dsd to dsd method etc), a wierd thing happens, again, when I try to play ONLY dsd files...

I hit the play button in foobar to begin play dsd, and then I see at the bottom right corner of my pc (small speaker icon) that my sound is disabled...
weird I say, and during playback of the dsd file in foobar, I open  "sound devices" of my pc, searching for my primary sound device I have chosen (that is of course "iFi hd usb audio"), and I can find nothing...it is as if I have uninstall the ifi nano, as my primary sound card...that is the reason why I see the red little icon at the right bottom of my screen....there is no sound card...nothing...but still, I can hear the dsd file playing in the foobar...see pic

is this ok?...thats the way nano should operate?

now, when I hit the "stop" button in foobar, everything gets back to normal...the red icon dissapears at the "speaker icon", then at pc and "sound properties" my primary device (iFi) comes back and is "ticked", and everything is ok....I hit again the play button in foobar to star palying dsd, and guess what happens...everything is gone (dissabled sound card etc), but my file is playing just fine and I can hear everything at my active speakers...I hit stop and everything ok....I hit play and....I hit stop and.....
bigsmile_face.gif

the above situation happens ONLY, if I choose to play dsd files under "foo_dsd_asio"...when I choose to play pcm files, flacs etc, everything is normal under the same conditions...

to sum up, I choose a dsd file to play and my sound card is dissabled as I mentioned above...still I can hear sound...then I hit stop at foobar, and without change anything, I choose to play a pcm file, flac etc...again, I can hear just fine the pcm file playing and nothing at the above happens...my sound card isnt;t dissabled, when I search in "sound devices" of my pc, I can find my "primary audio device" (iFi), etc etc...

why is this happening?...its normal nano to operate like that?...or my pc to operate like that, again, only when playing dsd files and eveything to stay unchanged, when playing every other audio file?..is it something in the foobar setup?

sorry for the long post

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #611 of 2,063
Quote:
  I have a question for you people...

I have the latest version of foobar and made all the upgrades in the drivers of nano dsd (firmware 4.02-windrivers 2.20)
I run a win7 64bit pc with 8gb ram...

now, I choose from the fbar> preferences > output devices > "foo_dsd_asio"...
then Asio > asio drivers >and double click on "foo_dsd_asio",  to open a new window with properties...then I make the choises you see at the 2nd photo...then, at tools > sacd and make the choises you see at the 3rd photo

everything ok then...

the first question is why if I choose in the outpout devices the "asio: iFi (by AMR) hd usb audio", instead of the "foo_dsd_asio", foobar starts palying dsd files (I see the bar moving as it plays), but there is no sound at my speakers...I can hear nothing when trying to play dsd files with the "asio:iFi hd usb audio", but it can play all kind of pcm formats I "throw" at it...again, when I choose the "asio:iFI"...is this ok?

now the second question...

when I choose "foo_dsd_asio" and all my choises in "small boxes" when double click on it, are correct (asio drivers - dsd playback method - dsd to dsd method etc), a wierd thing happens, again, when I try to play ONLY dsd files...

I hit the play button in foobar to begin play dsd, and then I see at the bottom right corner of my pc (small speaker icon) that my sound is disabled...
weird I say, and during playback of the dsd file in foobar, I open  "sound devices" of my pc, searching for my primary sound device I have chosen (that is of course "iFi hd usb audio"), and I can find nothing...it is as if I have uninstall the ifi nano, as my primary sound card...that is the reason why I see the red little icon at the right bottom of my screen....there is no sound card...nothing...but still, I can hear the dsd file playing in the foobar...see pic

is this ok?...thats the way nano should operate?

now, when I hit the "stop" button in foobar, everything gets back to normal...the red icon dissapears at the "speaker icon", then at pc and "sound properties" my primary device (iFi) comes back and is "ticked", and everything is ok....I hit again the play button in foobar to star palying dsd, and guess what happens...everything is gone (dissabled sound card etc), but my file is playing just fine and I can hear everything at my active speakers...I hit stop and everything ok....I hit play and....I hit stop and.....
bigsmile_face.gif

the above situation happens ONLY, if I choose to play dsd files under "foo_dsd_asio"...when I choose to play pcm files, flacs etc, everything is normal under the same conditions...

to sum up, I choose a dsd file to play and my sound card is dissabled as I mentioned above...still I can hear sound...then I hit stop at foobar, and without change anything, I choose to play a pcm file, flac etc...again, I can hear just fine the pcm file playing and nothing at the above happens...my sound card isnt;t dissabled, when I search in "sound devices" of my pc, I can find my "primary audio device" (iFi), etc etc...

why is this happening?...its normal nano to operate like that?...or my pc to operate like that, again, only when playing dsd files and eveything to stay unchanged, when playing every other audio file?..is it something in the foobar setup?

sorry for the long post
Try changing the DSD Playback method

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #612 of 2,063

Changing ASI for DoP or vice versa may work to bring sound back. 

Try the same method I described above : when DSD file seems to run oK but with no sound,  stop the playback, power down nano iDSD, phisically remove and re-insert the USB connectin, power nano iDSD back up. If after this procedure and no other changes made sound returns to normal, we share the same problem. 
Still searching for the solution.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #613 of 2,063
The foo_dsd_asio plugin is to make foobar "aware"  and able to use any asio driver that may be available to the system. In your case the foo_dsd_asio plugin sees the IFI asio driver under its options and allows foobar to use the IFI asio driver. That's why you need those two things in order for foobar to be able to use any sound system asio driver.

When the  asio driver is active the windows "direct sound" audio system is disabled and bypassed by the asio driver. That why you see the speaker icon turned red with a x. When you finished using the asio driver, control is given back to windows audio system and the speaker icon is active again.  You can use the direct sound driver setting in J.River for the iDSD if you like.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #614 of 2,063
I will try it Turrican2, to see if anything happens...

analogsurviver, you mean that maybe dac is having an internal "bottleneck" or it "stucks"?...
it does this to you when playing under "foo_dsd_asio", or with "asio iFi"?..and as you say, this happens to you also, only when playing dsd files
hope there is no hardware problem with my dac...if I have to plug and unplug everytime, to make my dac work ok, then we have problem...

john57, your explanation make sense...so, there is nothing I can do...its simply  a "method" foobar uses in order to be able to use the proper driver in each situation...
"foo_dsd_asio", is the only way for different drivers to cooparate..and that is why if I change to "asio: iFi", foobar simply cant;t find the "intermediate", in our case in foobar, "foo_dsd_asio", and thats why it cant apply the proper driver I have chosen

Am I correct?....I like foobar and I will keep on playing with it...so this "change" when playing dsd files can;t be avoided and I needn't worry about it, or....?..and dac works ok and will keep on working ok, huh? 
normal_smile .gif
...any recommendations in generall?

thank you all for your help....
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #615 of 2,063
For more info on ASIO with Foobar here is another similar procedure using a different DSD DAC

http://www.exasound.com/Blog/tabid/74/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/61/Configuring-Foobar2000-for-ASIO-DSD-DXD-Playback-with-exaSound-DACs.aspx

I use J.River most of the time for audio playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back