iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
May 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #541 of 2,063
  I would probably take the opportunity to ditch the Touch. I know its hard. I have the Transporter, and have moved on for some time now. Squeezebox Server has been abandoned, and at this point there are much better interfaces out there for PC or MAC. The PC/MAC is a much better basis for the USB DAC's of today (high res. DSD, etc.). I dont know about the Touch over USB, but I know that my PC over USB sounds much better than my Transported did over SPDIF.

Well, that's something I've been thinking long and hard about.  I'm really pretty clueless about this stuff so my head is swimming with different options, such as NAS>modified Mac Mini>DAC vs Vortexbox>SoTM SMS-100 Mini Server>DAC vs a PC based setup like a CAPS computer>DAC, as designed by Chris at computeraudiophile.com.

But I'm most excited about the Auralic Aries coming out soon.  Seems to be custom made for someone who wants to use a USB DAC in their setup.  It has a iOS/Android controller that looks more elegant than Logitech Media Server, which works well but isn't an intuitive or attractive interface if you ask me. The Aries is basically a custom audio computer purely designed for high quality playback.

Thanks!

May 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #542 of 2,063
  I would probably take the opportunity to ditch the Touch. I know its hard. I have the Transporter, and have moved on for some time now. Squeezebox Server has been abandoned, and at this point there are much better interfaces out there for PC or MAC. The PC/MAC is a much better basis for the USB DAC's of today (high res. DSD, etc.). I dont know about the Touch over USB, but I know that my PC over USB sounds much better than my Transported did over SPDIF.

Sadly this is true. I still have the Touch in my main system through one of the SPDIF outputs because it is still just so damn useful in that it allows me to mix Rhapsody or MOG tracks with my own tracks in playlists. I also have a Squeezebox Boom that I can synch with it for multiroom use. It was such a solid foundation, I wish Logitech hadn't canned it. They were so well positioned to move forward but just didn't have the vision. Their open source, web-based server format which allowed third party user interfaces like iPeng was brilliant. 

May 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #543 of 2,063

Well, that's something I've been thinking long and hard about.  I'm really pretty clueless about this stuff so my head is swimming with different options, such as NAS>modified Mac Mini>DAC vs Vortexbox>SoTM SMS-100 Mini Server>DAC vs a PC based setup like a CAPS computer>DAC, as designed by Chris at computeraudiophile.com.

But I'm most excited about the Auralic Aries coming out soon.  Seems to be custom made for someone who wants to use a USB DAC in their setup.  It has a iOS/Android controller that looks more elegant than Logitech Media Server, which works well but isn't an intuitive or attractive interface if you ask me. The Aries is basically a custom audio computer purely designed for high quality playback.

Thanks!

Just my opinion on this, but It makes sense to me to use a laptop, vs going with some sort of dedicated server/computer. I think that the gains form going with something like what Chris K. put together are minimal vs. a basic laptop that you can also use as a laptop! The iPurifier etc can filter the noise from a laptop a lot cheaper. BTW, I JUST discovered that going with SDHC storage of my files on my laptop sounds significantly better than those from my external hard drive. I keep finding new stuff. - Cheers!

May 26, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #544 of 2,063
Second that.
I have put all my music and movies on a Synology NAS, which I (and the rest of the family) can access in house and remotely with:
Laptop Acer V5-573G with 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD running JRiver MC19 and local copy of my music and iDSD
Nexus 7 2013 32GB with UAPP or JRiver Gizmo and iDSD.
Unfortunately my  Blackberry Z10 won't support USB OTG, so I have some music stored locally with Neutron player and Spotify premium.  

May 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #545 of 2,063

Just my opinion on this, but It makes sense to me to use a laptop, vs going with some sort of dedicated server/computer. I think that the gains form going with something like what Chris K. put together are minimal vs. a basic laptop that you can also use as a laptop! The iPurifier etc can filter the noise from a laptop a lot cheaper. BTW, I JUST discovered that going with SDHC storage of my files on my laptop sounds significantly better than those from my external hard drive. I keep finding new stuff. - Cheers!

Well, yes, I have the laptop already, but kinda wanting to move toward an iPad interface.  I would prefer not to have to rely on having my laptop turned on and open if possible.  I think my small listening room would benefit from simply having an iPad on the coffee table with an intuitive app to control playback.

I can still use my laptop to download music, then sync it to the NAS, and otherwise the laptop doesn't have to be present.  The laptop also becomes a distraction from true listening sessions, which is my ultimate goal.  Pure music enjoyment.

I think that's what the Auralic Aries was designed for.

May 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #546 of 2,063
Guys, DM from computeraudiophile.com just posted his review of the iDSD Nano (with his rating). If you go back to the first page of the thread you may see his comparisons with some other DACs and how he rated them to give a sense of relation.

(Link to the iDSD Nano section) 

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/review-portable-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-dacs-audioquest-dragonfly-meridian-explorer-director-ifi-idac-idsd-geek-out-pulse-19272/index3.html#post322830 

May 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #547 of 2,063
how do i charge the idsd?

do i turn it off and plug the usb cable into one of those standard wall plugs that output 5V/1A?

Or do i have to turn it on then plug it in?

or can i only charge it by using the macbook air's usb port? If yes then should the idsd be on or off while charging?

May 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #548 of 2,063
  how do i charge the idsd?

do i turn it off and plug the usb cable into one of those standard wall plugs that output 5V/1A?

Or do i have to turn it on then plug it in?

or can i only charge it by using the macbook air's usb port? If yes then should the idsd be on or off while charging?

I think I read that if you turn the idsd ON, and THEN plug it in to USB, you are in "battery" mode and the device is NOT charging.  If you plug it in while turned OFF, that activates the charging mode, and the device will pull a charge. I think you can then turn the device ON, and use it while it's pulling a charge.

I think that someone here mentioned charging it faster by using a USB wall charger.  Perhaps something like the little Apple USB charging base that most people charge their iPhone with would work?  I'm not advocating that you do that without knowing for sure that it's safe for the Nano, but someone else here might confirm that it works fine.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here!

May 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #549 of 2,063
  I think I read that if you turn the idsd ON, and THEN plug it in to USB, you are in "battery" mode and the device is NOT charging.  If you plug it in while turned OFF, that activates the charging mode, and the device will pull a charge. I think you can then turn the device ON, and use it while it's pulling a charge.

I think that someone here mentioned charging it faster by using a USB wall charger.  Perhaps something like the little Apple USB charging base that most people charge their iPhone with would work?  I'm not advocating that you do that without knowing for sure that it's safe for the Nano, but someone else here might confirm that it works fine.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here!

1. Correct. On the 2 different power up sequences.

2. Yes, even the Apple iPad 12W charger is fine to use with the nano iDSD because it puts out 5.1v which is a shade above the USB power spec of 5.0v. So not an issue.

For your reference:

Apple Chargers:
SourceVoltageCurrentPower
PC USB5 volts0.5 amps2.5 Watts
iPhone Charger5 volts1.0 amps5 Watts
iPad Charger5.1 volts2.1 amps12 watts

Source: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #550 of 2,063
photo of my new "components"...nano & iusb

sorry for the quality...taken with my phone...I use them to drive my monitor speakers

want to ask if its a problem to place them so close to my pc...is it going to be an unwanted interference between pc-parts and the dac/iusb?
will affect the dac in any way?

May 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #551 of 2,063
  photo of my new "components"...nano & iusb

sorry for the quality...taken with my phone...I use them to drive my monitor speakers

want to ask if its a problem to place them so close to my pc...is it going to be an unwanted interference between pc-parts and the dac/iusb?
will affect the dac in any way?

If you are worrying about EMI, then I'll say you are just fine. As noisy as PC are, it will take a much stronger signal (i.e. cellphone) in close proximity to really cause any interfering. If there is any noise, it is most likely going to come from the USB cable, which iUSB would have taken off.

May 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #552 of 2,063

If you are worrying about EMI, then I'll say you are just fine. As noisy as PC are, it will take a much stronger signal (i.e. cellphone) in close proximity to really cause any interfering. If there is any noise, it is most likely going to come from the USB cable, which iUSB would have taken off.

thank you for your answer...

EMI problems was the reason of my question...

I am planning later to separate entirely the system by "building" a nuc pc, for audio-only playback...
first of of all, its completely quiet and I will add to it, only the operating system (linux or win) and foobar or jriver...

it will be free of unwanted programms, that may cause problems to the reproduction of audio files...

May 30, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #553 of 2,063
What I have done and a few others is to have more than one OS partition on the same PC and switch between them for maximum performance for a particular group of software. My audio workstation partition is separate from my HTPC or general partition. For me I do not see a need in getting extra computer hardware just for music playback and I am somewhat limited in space. My PC has extensive custom sound proofing in the case as well with fan-less graphic cards and other techniques.

May 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #554 of 2,063
  What I have done and a few others is to have more than one OS partition on the same PC and switch between them for maximum performance for a particular group of software. My audio workstation partition is separate from my HTPC or general partition. For me I do not see a need in getting extra computer hardware just for music playback and I am somewhat limited in space. My PC has extensive custom sound proofing in the case as well with fan-less graphic cards and other techniques.

I have thought the solution you said to make a partition on my disk, for adding there only the software I need for audio playback...

the reason I am thinking for a nuc-pc, is because I need to make lot of changes to my desktop-pc in order to make it quitter, and probably, still, won't be "dead quiet" as the nuc
moreover, space is not an issue for me...I made the small rack you see on the pic, in order to place the nuc-pc at the top of it..

so, .iusb on the bottom, nano dsd in the middle and the nuc on the top 
normal_smile .gif

then, I will have my "small system" all in one place, with the advantage to be able to take it anywhere I want...

I thought it this way and decided that a nuc-pc wiil be a better solution for me

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #555 of 2,063
I have a friend with Nano and I am getting it for a test over a couple of days.

Which software is recommended for Win 7 and DSD ONLY ? It can play PCM as well - as long it does not compromise native DSD in the slightest.  I record my own DSD material and lack of DSD up to DSD128 is no issue. I am running Foobar 2000 at the time, but have heard people say this is not exactly the best of solutions.
The reason I am interested in nano is the ability to play DSD natively from external HDDs via computer. I can always load the DSD files to my Korg DSD recorders, but it is extremely inconvinient to quickly find a particular spot on any given live concert - performers would like usually compare "Song X" from various concerts - and scrolling to the point on Korg is a nerve racking experience - if that "song" is towards the end of one hour long file and people expect nowadays everything at the click of a mouse.

However , whatever DSD capable  DAC should I end up with, it should not lag too far behind the Korg in SQ - if there is a significant difference in SQ - simply not interested. There is also a question of Tascam DA-3000 DSD recorder for me - it can also be used as DAC only, besides being of obvious use to me as a recording engineer.  If anyone familiar with DA-3000 or even made comparison, I am all ears !

Two days ago, Korg released the latest version of its AudioGate software, the V 3.0.2  . It is significantly different from previous full featured versions, as well as intial version of AudioGate PLAYER , the V 3.0.1 . I am getting used to it, but this change came when I have least time to fiddle with it. The new AudioGate , for the first time, features a High Quality conversion from DSD to PCM (and vice versa ). That is another reason I am eager to test the nano - but it is a bit much on the plate over a short period of time.

So please keep it brief - for somebody that only after advent of DSD128 for reasonable price is grundgingly accepting digital - because it sounds the closest to analog. I deal with computer because I have to - not because I would like to, it was my pleasure or - God forbid - even my hobby.
I should also note the best music to my ears is - Windows (whatever version ) signing off.  Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back