iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
May 2, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,351 of 2,063
Hi all,

I am a newbie here and in the head-fi world... :)

I used to have a tradition CD-player >tube pre-amp>mono-amp> full stand speakers
Since my wife giving birth to the twins.. now I am in head-fi world... ha ha..

I just got a AKG 712 Pro and ordered the VorzAMP pure II + as AMP.

Now seeking for a DAC for the headphone system.

I have two iPods, one is 1st Gen iPod, and one is 4G iPod Photo (colour)

I am really interested in the iFi nano..  
My question is "if this combination is good?"

Thinking of what source should I go for if playing DSD, then should I buy a new iPod Touch 64GB for DSD playing or keep to use the iPod (Photo) with Rockbox?

Thanks

May 2, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #1,353 of 2,063
Have not heard your other gears, but you won't be disappointed with the iFi nano iDSD, even if you use it as a standalone DAC and amp. You'll be surprised how this small thing could turn your music's SQ into even greater heights. The DSD capability is just a bonus. For less than $200, to me it's a no-brainer once you get to hear it.

May 2, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #1,354 of 2,063
  Hi all,

I am a newbie here and in the head-fi world... :)

I used to have a tradition CD-player >tube pre-amp>mono-amp> full stand speakers
Since my wife giving birth to the twins.. now I am in head-fi world... ha ha..

I just got a AKG 712 Pro and ordered the VorzAMP pure II + as AMP.

Now seeking for a DAC for the headphone system.

I have two iPods, one is 1st Gen iPod, and one is 4G iPod Photo (colour)

I am really interested in the iFi nano..  
My question is "if this combination is good?"

Thinking of what source should I go for if playing DSD, then should I buy a new iPod Touch 64GB for DSD playing or keep to use the iPod (Photo) with Rockbox?

Thanks

You may find you won't need the amp anymore if you get the Nano. VorzaAmp is a better amp, but not sure how much difference it will make for the AKG. In any case the Nano is a fantastic choice if just for the DAC. 

May 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,356 of 2,063
But do I need to "upgrade" to iPod Touch to play DSD files? Or just to install Rockbox in the iPod 4G can play DSD? Thanks.
You just need the Onkyo HF Player HD version to play DSD natively. Requires iOS 6 or later.

May 2, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,358 of 2,063
Thx. Great information folr all of u guys.

I would like to order a nano. I just got a AKG 712 Pro and ordered the VorzAMP pure II + as AMP is on the way.

My question is: I would like to know how should I turn the volume of the nano to make it just run as an DAC only. Or I turn the VorzAMP to mid or max. Then using the nano volume control to adjust volume? Any suggestions?

Currently. I've got an iPod 4G as source. But will buy an iPod touch soon.

So the system shall be :
iPod touch -> iDSD nano ( as DAC) -> VorzAMP (as AMP and volume control) -> AKG k712pro.

Thanks

May 2, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #1,359 of 2,063
Thx. Great information folr all of u guys.

I would like to order a nano. I just got a AKG 712 Pro and ordered the VorzAMP pure II + as AMP is on the way.

My question is: I would like to know how should I turn the volume of the nano to make it just run as an DAC only. Or I turn the VorzAMP to mid or max. Then using the nano volume control to adjust volume? Any suggestions?

Currently. I've got an iPod 4G as source. But will buy an iPod touch soon.

So the system shall be :
iPod touch -> iDSD nano ( as DAC) -> VorzAMP (as AMP and volume control) -> AKG k712pro.

Thanks

Turn the nano all the way up. Then it is just a dac.

May 6, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #1,361 of 2,063
Hi all, I'm a newbie here (first post). I've been using my ifi nano idsd with my grado rs2e's for the past few weeks now and I really love it but every now and then (sometimes as often as once per song) the sound cuts out. Was wondering if any others have had similar issues with their ifi. I've tested the cans, cables, and files and have deduced that the issue has to be coming from the ifi. Cheers!

May 6, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,363 of 2,063
As the nano and micro use the same dac, has anyone had a chance to compare the two (dacs) only by using an external amp? Would micro's internal iPurifier make it's dac the winner?

Thanks.

The DAC section are not entirely the same. While nano uses only one DAC chip. micro uses two, so the implementation is different. Also iPurifier doesn't really have that much of an impact on SQ unless the USB on your PC is particularly problematic.

The difference between the two (line-out), to me, is how large the overall image is. Both are slightly on the warmish, richer side of the presentation, especially with you compared them to something like ESS Sabre DAC, but they are by no mean colored. I reckon micro sounds about 15~20% large in image, therefore everything sounds grander and better separated, which in turn makes everything more detail and of course, a larger, more relaxing soundstage. In contrast, nano is more focus and therefore sounds a little thicker, smoother and perhaps just a tiny bit more engaging. I won't say it is congested in anyway but it does sound more compressed when compared to micro.

May 7, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,364 of 2,063
Thanks ClieOS

Reason I asked is my portable set-up is currently an external amp fed by an Ipod Classic. Most of my music files are flac and are on my Samsung note tablet so I wanted to know what dac would suit my system
Long story short, I bought the Nano today (before I read your reply) after auditioning both the dacs. I thought the micro's dac was the better (don't really know how to describe it :D) but in the end didn't think it was worth triple the amount to get the micro so the nano it was.
For the price the nano is excellent value - the nano's dac is not far behind the micro and it's amp is none to shabby either!

The DAC section are not entirely the same. While nano uses only one DAC chip. micro uses two, so the implementation is different. Also iPurifier doesn't really have that much of an impact on SQ unless the USB on your PC is particularly problematic.

The difference between the two (line-out), to me, is how large the overall image is. Both are slightly on the warmish, richer side of the presentation, especially with you compared them to something like ESS Sabre DAC, but they are by no mean colored. I reckon micro sounds about 15~20% large in image, therefore everything sounds grander and better separated, which in turn makes everything more detail and of course, a larger, more relaxing soundstage. In contrast, nano is more focus and therefore sounds a little thicker, smoother and perhaps just a tiny bit more engaging. I won't say it is congested in anyway but it does sound more compressed when compared to micro.

May 7, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,365 of 2,063
Hi all, I'm a newbie here (first post). I've been using my ifi nano idsd with my grado rs2e's for the past few weeks now and I really love it but every now and then (sometimes as often as once per song) the sound cuts out. Was wondering if any others have had similar issues with their ifi. I've tested the cans, cables, and files and have deduced that the issue has to be coming from the ifi. Cheers!

It's your source.

What is your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back