iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Feb 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #1,231 of 2,063
You need to be a member of the iCLUB to beta test....Apparently I am not i (enough).

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,232 of 2,063
  You need to be a member of the iCLUB to beta test....Apparently I am not i (enough).

Hi,

Sorry - the Beta testing has to be limited to the iCLUB members.

BUT iCLUB memberships do come up once in a while.

Hint: some major developments happening here that you may like:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/753978/ifi-audio-retro-stereo-50-discussion-thread

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,233 of 2,063
Hi guys,
I´ve encountered a bit of problem with my iFi nano. While playing DSD file, the volume control of foobar is completely inactive, the only thing I am able to change the volume is the volume knob on Nano itself. The problem is, that for my Hifiman HE-4 the volume isn´t simply enough, while for FLAC files I run some 3/4 of volume potential, on DSD file I can even go to max volume. I suspect some setting in foobar to be the cause but dont know which one. Anyone any idea?
Thx for help

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,234 of 2,063
Another Alclair owner. Did you get your impressions from the Alclair -Tennessee shop?

Sorry for the delayed response, yes I did, Snoopy fitted me!

Are you going to attend the Nashville Head Fi Meet on 4/18, it is Vol. 3?!?! I am speaking to Alclair about demoing the Reference and RSM.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,235 of 2,063
Hi,

Nice spot!

v4.02 is the latest official firmware for the nano iDSD
v4.06 is the latest official firmware for the micro iDSD

BETA v0.16 is for both the nano iDSD and micro iDSD (and also soon-to-be launched Stereo 50).

Originally (a few years ago) we used the XMOS chipset and was reliant on the XMOS software.

But as we knew the XMOS chipset was under-utilised, over time, we brought this in-house which has enabled us in Subaru WRX terms to do a ProDrive and "remap"  the XMOS chipset (as evident from the Quad DSD256 and Octa-DSD512/768kHz levels attained).

Our code is now 100% in-house; and soon all iFi products will move over to the same, iFi XMOS firmware platform.

The upcoming iDAC2 will of course also run on this same iFi coded platform.

Cheers.

Are any of these updates for the Apple/Yosemete OS yet?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,236 of 2,063
Hi guys,
I´ve encountered a bit of problem with my iFi nano. While playing DSD file, the volume control of foobar is completely inactive, the only thing I am able to change the volume is the volume knob on Nano itself. The problem is, that for my Hifiman HE-4 the volume isn´t simply enough, while for FLAC files I run some 3/4 of volume potential, on DSD file I can even go to max volume. I suspect some setting in foobar to be the cause but dont know which one. Anyone any idea?
Thx for help

Don't know how, but you simply need Foobar to output full level, then use the Nano as an analog attenuator. May be this is what is happening at present? I have my Nano turned 3/4 to full with any file type.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,237 of 2,063
  Hi guys,
Thx for help

Don't know how, but you simply need Foobar to output full level, then use the Nano as an analog attenuator. May be this is what is happening at present? I have my Nano turned 3/4 to full with any file type.

If your Foobar is set to output DSD to iDSD nano, then no digital control is the right thing (Foorbar automatically disables volume control on DSD anyway).

Real DSD CAN NOT have an digital volume control, that's the reason why it doesn't and shouldn't work. The reason is, digital volume control works by reducing the bit depth of the digital files to reduce its loudness, and every -6dB means 1 bit of bit depth is lost.. Given DSD is a ONE bit format, reducing it by a mere -6dB will totally turn it into, well, a big nothing. That's why you will never want to apply any digital volume control to DSD. If you ever see a DSD playback that offers digital volume control, it usually means the data has been internally converted to PCM, followed by the usual digital volume control, then output to hardware.

Also, DSD is normally -6dB less in volume when compared to PCM. So getting less volume is normal as well.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,239 of 2,063

If your Foobar is set to output DSD to iDSD nano, then no digital control is the right thing (Foorbar automatically disables volume control on DSD anyway).

Real DSD CAN NOT have an digital volume control, that's the reason why it doesn't and shouldn't work. The reason is, digital volume control works by reducing the bit depth of the digital files to reduce its loudness, and every -6dB means 1 bit of bit depth is lost.. Given DSD is a ONE bit format, reducing it by a mere -6dB will totally turn it into, well, a big nothing. That's why you will never want to apply any digital volume control to DSD. If you ever see a DSD playback that offers digital volume control, it usually means the data has been internally converted to PCM, followed by the usual digital volume control, then output to hardware.

Also, DSD is normally -6dB less in volume when compared to PCM. So getting less volume is normal as well.

Perfect explanation for which I have to thank you. It´s a pitty, but this means, that I will have to use for the DSD files my HD650 instead of HE-4, because they are loud enough, for the PCM i will use the HE-4. In future I plan to buy separate AMP or upgrade to iFi micro, depends on my financial situation.
Anyway, thx again. 

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,240 of 2,063
Hi guys,
Thx for help

The iFi nano iDSD is designed for portable use with portable headphones.

The HifiMan HE-4 is not a portable headphone, it is a power hungry behemoth.

You need a micro iDSD.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,241 of 2,063
The iFi nano iDSD is designed for portable use with portable headphones.

The HifiMan HE-4 is not a portable headphone, it is a power hungry behemoth.

You need a micro iDSD.

Yeah, I know, I´ve had Schiit asgard, but after buying nano, I didnt like the sound of it, so I sold it, although it might have been sufficient for HE-4 powering. Never mind, I will have to save some gold and buy the Micro.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,242 of 2,063
  Yeah, I know, I´ve had Schiit asgard, but after buying nano, I didnt like the sound of it, so I sold it, although it might have been sufficient for HE-4 powering. Never mind, I will have to save some gold and buy the Micro.

You could always try to WIN a Micro iDSD 
gs1000.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/753978/ifi-audio-retro-stereo-50-discussion-thread/30#post_11339039

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,243 of 2,063
Today my Nano arrived.
It sounds great, and has enough power do drive my fidelio x2 well. it´s my first DAC/Amp and i really like it! :D

But i have a little problem,
I installed the driver, set audio out to it, but i can´t select 384khz?
I Installed the latest Driver 2.23 and i use windows 8.1.
Annyone had the same Problem and know how to solve it?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,244 of 2,063
Today my Nano arrived.
It sounds great, and has enough power do drive my fidelio x2 well. it´s my first DAC/Amp and i really like it! :D

But i have a little problem,
I installed the driver, set audio out to it, but i can´t select 384khz?
I Installed the latest Driver 2.23 and i use windows 8.1.
Annyone had the same Problem and know how to solve it?

Do you have any 384 kHz music files?

If so, which application are you using to play them?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #1,245 of 2,063
i use foobar200 with wasapi in event mode, and no i have no 384khz, the most is only cd quality. So it´s nothing dramatical at the moment.
but i wan´t to know whats wrong.
when i start pc the ifi software show 384khz but can´t set it in windows, thers only the option for 32Bit 192Khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back