iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #605 of 1,008
If your player supports OTG or CCK DACs yes. There isn't a line in on the nano unfortunately.

why i ask is because i saw a review at amazon where the user used it on his shanling M1 using a connector , here is part of the review :

For my portable music set up, I use portable high-resolution audio devices (Fiio, Cayin, Shanling, Pioneer, Hidizs, Sony, etc), to take advantage of their enormous storage capabilities via Micro SD Cards. My music library consists of roughly 120GB of AAC quality music from Itunes, and roughly 10GB of High Resolution audio files, accounting for nearly 15,000 songs.

Thus far, as I am reviewing the ifi Nano IDSD Black Label, I am listening through a pair of BANG and OLUFSEN H6 headphones. For those who are not familiar with these headphones, I would like to mention that these headphones require substantial power in order to enjoy them at lower volumes. They are very clean sounding, with little to no emphasis on the bass (the bass is tight, not booming), and most of the focus of its sound can be observed in the higher frequencies, though this emphasis is not harsh on the ears. Presently, I am listening on my SHANLING M1 high resolution audio device. Now, that you know my setup, I should probably detail you my impressions.

The way that the device was put together by the production team is unique to other headphone amplifiers that I have. For instance, I was NOT able to connect the ifi Nano IDSD Black Label to my SHANLING M1 (or to Hidizs ap60, or Fiio X1) with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. However, other headphone amplifiers options such as the Fiio Q1 and the Fiio E12 allow for such compatibility. So, if you plan to use the ifi Nano IDSD Black Label the way that I do (Headphones> ifi nano > Shanling M1), then you WILL NEED TO BUY another cable. The cable you will need is a FEMALE USB to either USB C (which is what I am using right now for the Shanling M1) or USB Micro (I am assuming, for devices like Hidizs ap60, or Fiio X1, as they are Micro USB oriented). This cable (FEMALE USB to USB C, or whatever) does NOT come with the device. The device does come with a charging cable that also can connect to your computer to be used as a DAC. I suppose that this device was designed mainly for those looking to listen to music on their computer—from online streaming sources—as it does not come with any cables that would enable the user to listen to music on portable high-resolution audio devices. Bearing in mind my personal use, I CANNOT comment on this device’s function as a computer DAC.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #606 of 1,008
why i ask is because i saw a review at amazon where the user used it on his shanling M1 using a connector , here is part of the review :

For my portable music set up, I use portable high-resolution audio devices (Fiio, Cayin, Shanling, Pioneer, Hidizs, Sony, etc), to take advantage of their enormous storage capabilities via Micro SD Cards. My music library consists of roughly 120GB of AAC quality music from Itunes, and roughly 10GB of High Resolution audio files, accounting for nearly 15,000 songs.

Thus far, as I am reviewing the ifi Nano IDSD Black Label, I am listening through a pair of BANG and OLUFSEN H6 headphones. For those who are not familiar with these headphones, I would like to mention that these headphones require substantial power in order to enjoy them at lower volumes. They are very clean sounding, with little to no emphasis on the bass (the bass is tight, not booming), and most of the focus of its sound can be observed in the higher frequencies, though this emphasis is not harsh on the ears. Presently, I am listening on my SHANLING M1 high resolution audio device. Now, that you know my setup, I should probably detail you my impressions.

The way that the device was put together by the production team is unique to other headphone amplifiers that I have. For instance, I was NOT able to connect the ifi Nano IDSD Black Label to my SHANLING M1 (or to Hidizs ap60, or Fiio X1) with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. However, other headphone amplifiers options such as the Fiio Q1 and the Fiio E12 allow for such compatibility. So, if you plan to use the ifi Nano IDSD Black Label the way that I do (Headphones> ifi nano > Shanling M1), then you WILL NEED TO BUY another cable. The cable you will need is a FEMALE USB to either USB C (which is what I am using right now for the Shanling M1) or USB Micro (I am assuming, for devices like Hidizs ap60, or Fiio X1, as they are Micro USB oriented). This cable (FEMALE USB to USB C, or whatever) does NOT come with the device. The device does come with a charging cable that also can connect to your computer to be used as a DAC. I suppose that this device was designed mainly for those looking to listen to music on their computer—from online streaming sources—as it does not come with any cables that would enable the user to listen to music on portable high-resolution audio devices. Bearing in mind my personal use, I CANNOT comment on this device’s function as a computer DAC.

The review is correct as written, as is the reply you received here. For the Nano to work with a phone or a DAP as an "external DAC" you require a digital USB connection and the source device must be capable of driving an external DAC, ie OTG capability.

Check out the TLA's in that reply, its not surprising this can be confusing IMO. :)

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #607 of 1,008

This reviewer is using an otg cable to connect their dap to the Nano.

Which dap do you want to use with the Nano? I can point you to an otg cable that will work for you.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #609 of 1,008
This reviewer is using an otg cable to connect their dap to the Nano.

Which dap do you want to use with the Nano? I can point you to an otg cable that will work for you.

ibasso dx90 and fiio x5 gen 2

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #611 of 1,008
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #613 of 1,008
Earlier today I received the nano black label, my first amp/dac to pair with my rha t20 iem’s and iPhone 6s+

I am by no way eloquent with words or have the audiophile language to describe the improvement I hear. I can say streaming from Spotify I hear a much greater openness, and detail. Better separation in instruments. It seems to peel back layers of “congestion” and gives everything a more your in the studio live with the artist kind of feel. I’m very pleased with this little product and I hope everyone is enjoying theirs as much as I am. Good job ifi you have a happy customer here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back