iFi Audio nano iDSD Black Label (TOUR details - PAGE 12 / TOUR participants - page 26 post #386)
Jan 12, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #558 of 1,008
Thoroughly enjoying my time with the Nano BL! Currently have it on my desk at work, happily powering my HD 650's at 10 o'clock on the volume dial. Flashed it with the firmware update, and it's now glowing a nice magenta-hue as it plays MQA from Tidal desktop.

I seem to be having a problem with the 'IEMatch' 3.5mm out - I'm only getting sound through the left channel, none whatsoever on the RHS. Of course, I've tried a number of headphones and that's not the culprit. Does this sound like a defective unit, or am I misunderstanding something about the TRRS configuration used here?

Both ports should work with SE or balanced plugs, you might have a defective unit.

Uh oh! The touring unit I received is suffering from this very same problem. It's not a big deal I don't own a single IEM so direct is more than sufficient!

I also have to say, so far the unit sounds fantastic! But I'm not a huge fan of it's Log Pot, I get a 2dB jump going from like 50% rotation to 51-52%

with a balanced cable resolve is like a smidge better though this is with an easy to drive headphone I'll chime in later with some more serious impressions. Thus far it's pretty impressive!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #559 of 1,008
I've got two hedaphones that will operate via 3.5mm TRRS I should be picking this up today! Excited to hear how it performs

Sweet! I’m excited to know your impressions. :)

If only I could find a cheap balanced cable for my HD600. Everything seems to be over 100$.

I just had mine made by a local cable maker for $40 since 3.5mm balanced cables are quite hard to come by pre-made where I come from.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #561 of 1,008
I just picked this up today from a fellow headfi buddy and I'm trying to use my Onkyo DP-X1 for a transport and use some MQA, can the Nano import via a portable source or does it need to be desktop? Also, is there a gain switch?
TIA.

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #562 of 1,008
I just picked this up today from a fellow headfi buddy and I'm trying to use my Onkyo DP-X1 for a transport and use some MQA, can the Nano import via a portable source or does it need to be desktop? Also, is there a gain switch?
TIA.
No gain switch. I think that the LG g6 and v30 support mqa

Jan 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #564 of 1,008
Ok.

My onkyo supports MQA as well. When they are hooked up I don't see the magenta light unless I need to change a setting on my player.
Maybe the player or maybe the firmwares

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #565 of 1,008
TIA.
I think ifi meant the two output jacks to serve as "gain switches". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #566 of 1,008
Ok.

My onkyo supports MQA as well. When they are hooked up I don't see the magenta light unless I need to change a setting on my player.

Where are you playing MQA from? The Tidal MQA App doesn't support MQA, so you need to find an MQA file, there are some samples on the Internet or you can purchase MQA albums from the Onkyo website and copy them to the SD card.

You must then use the included Music App (I have the Pioneer but I assume its similar) to do the MQA unfold. Make sure your Nano is upgraded to the latest F/W connect it to the player and you should get the MQA light on the Nano.

The Pioneer music app should indicate that it is playing an MQA file too.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #567 of 1,008
Where are you playing MQA from? The Tidal MQA App doesn't support MQA, so you need to find an MQA file, there are some samples on the Internet or you can purchase MQA albums from the Onkyo website and copy them to the SD card.

You must then use the included Music App (I have the Pioneer but I assume its similar) to do the MQA unfold. Make sure your Nano is upgraded to the latest F/W connect it to the player and you should get the MQA light on the Nano.

The Pioneer music app should indicate that it is playing an MQA file too.
I bought some MQA files off the Onkyo site and saved them to my mSD. They show the MQA when playing on my onkyo and the little warning shows up about EQ. There must be a setting or like you said maybe the Nano needs updating.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #568 of 1,008
I bought some MQA files off the Onkyo site and saved them to my mSD. They show the MQA when playing on my onkyo and the little warning shows up about EQ. There must be a setting or like you said maybe the Nano needs updating.

Sounds like you have everything setup right, it must be the Nano's F/W, the release version didn't support MQA. Update to the version from November and it should work, there are no settings to adjust as far as I know.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #569 of 1,008
I tried updating this today and all goes well tell I hit the "browse" button. like one step before the update is successful and it shows the incorrect path. I think it has to do with the old computers we have here. I do have my work laptop but it is blocked from any downloads and I need an Admin to complete. I sure they will not allow me as this is a 3k dollar laptop, so I will not even ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back