iFi audio LAN iSilencer - Your network. Silenced.
Jan 21, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #466 of 607
Sadly no. You have a great streamer and it will play depending on the source quality you feed it. I have Aavik too - not the streamer, but I know it very well.

A quality LPS and a very good switch will definitely help. I am a big fan of the ifi Lan silencer but found out that it sounds the best applied at router and my fiber box end and also at the input to the switch, but not at the streamer as it diminishes the soundstage making it smaller.

I can recommend to group your devices together and grounding them from one outlet only. If you like me have your router and server etc away from your system you should use a net isolater like the ifi to separate ground loops and issues. I use the ifi for that purpose but also use a Jcat net isolater between my switch and streamer. It makes a big difference.
Thanks.
As I don't want to add a switch (I don't need it)...I'm thinking about the following:

- Linear psu for the router
- Ifi LAN Isilencer between the router port that goes to the Aavik streamer (I will test on which end I get better results)
- Nuc (where Roon server sits) without any linear psu or treatment. This Nuc is also connected via lan to the router, but to a different port (2.5gbe)

Do you think it's a good move to get improvement?

Thanks again

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #467 of 607
Thanks.
As I don't want to add a switch (I don't need it)...I'm thinking about the following:
That's right, you don't need a switch, you need two! From the router, cable to first switch, with the iSilencer at the switch end. From there, cable to the second switch and from there cable to your streamer. Connect anything else to the first switch only so the second is used exclusively for the streamer. Use good PSUs for your switches and minimum CAT6 cable. I use CAT8, not for speed but for better shielding. The switches I'm using are D-link DSG108, cheap and fantastic for audio applications, with a surprisingly good power supply that you can use at a stretch, should better ones not be handy. I use some rubber feet to increase the distance between the little stacked switches and I have also grounded them. The sound? Fantastic! Check on YouTube, there are a few videos that inspired me to implement these cheap and effective mods.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #468 of 607
Thanks.

- Ifi LAN Isilencer between the router port that goes to the Aavik streamer (I will test on which end I get better results)
- Nuc (where Roon server sits) without any linear psu or treatment. This Nuc is also connected via lan to the router, but to a different port (2.5gbe)

Thanks again
That sounds like a good plan. And you can always experiment with adding a switch (or two…). Aavik makes great switches as you probably know- but expensive…

I would also encourage you to compare streaming quality of your Aavik streamer with or without your nuc Roon server in the mix. I love Roon but found out I get way better sound quality without it. That is definitely due to the many crappy switch mode power supplies in my low budget server. But computer audio is an another rabbit hole to dive into. If you do, be sure to check out JCAT and their audio cards and other improvements. Again, not cheap, unfortunately.

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #469 of 607
Thanks.

Thanks again
@MSXX has provided some quality advice which I endorse.

The LAN iSilencers are great. Very effective whilst being much more elegant in form factor than switches and FMCs with their attendant additional cables and power supplies. I have two and am tempted to get another.

Suggest you experiment with the locations you proposed, starting with between your NUC and streamer (at NUC end first) vs removed, then between NUC and router (again at NUC end to begin with) vs removed. I would hazard a guess you'll hear improvements with the iFi in line vs out in both locations. This will highlight the potential for cumulative improvements of filtration in multiple locations (whether a second iFi, a pair of FMCs or a switch). Up to you as to if and when you choose to explore this as if you follow your ears one can end up with quite the convoluted chain (see my sig as a cautionary tale of where this can take you). But in the meantime use your single iFi in the location that sounds best.

Re LPS for your NUC and router, as MSXX said, alas this will still matter even after some ethernet filtration. It matters for both the server and router, but possibly more for your server as that is closer in your chain to your streamer. If they happen to be the same voltage try an LPS in both locations vs not.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #470 of 607
@MSXX has provided some quality advice which I endorse.

The LAN iSilencers are great. Very effective whilst being much more elegant in form factor than switches and FMCs with their attendant additional cables and power supplies. I have two and am tempted to get another.

Suggest you experiment with the locations you proposed, starting with between your NUC and streamer (at NUC end first) vs removed, then between NUC and router (again at NUC end to begin with) vs removed. I would hazard a guess you'll hear improvements with the iFi in line vs out in both locations. This will highlight the potential for cumulative improvements of filtration in multiple locations (whether a second iFi, a pair of FMCs or a switch). Up to you as to if and when you choose to explore this as if you follow your ears one can end up with quite the convoluted chain (see my sig as a cautionary tale of where this can take you). But in the meantime use your single iFi in the location that sounds best.

Re LPS for your NUC and router, as MSXX said, alas this will still matter even after some ethernet filtration. It matters for both the server and router, but possibly more for your server as that is closer in your chain to your streamer. If they happen to be the same voltage try an LPS in both locations vs not.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Yes, some very interesting information. I mostly had mine right at my Zen Stream, but even I am thinking of getting another one and putting it at my NUC just to see if I perceive anything!

Thanks for the posts on this.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #471 of 607
Maybe thats something ifi could develop.

A switch or some other kind of network filter.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #473 of 607
I would hope so now that we have started into this area, I myself would love a switch with this tech!

Cheers!!
Well I look forward to seeing these products.

I'd trust ifi more than most brands and I don't mind paying more for ifi's level of quality and support as long as its within reason.

My biggest disappointment with other brands is the lack of driver support and development.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #474 of 607
Sort of in the market myself.

Switches seems a small niche area populated
mostly by small makers marketing very expensive multi port models (8 or more)

A large scale manufacturer could develop a very high quality model with four or six ports with excellent clock and do very well.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #476 of 607
Forget expensive, "audiophile grade" switches. All you need is two D-LINK DGS-108 Desktop Switch with good power supplies between your router/wall LAN plug and the streamer.
I personally don't know about that, I found great results with a TP link after being a long-time Netgear user, I will have to try the D-Link and see if I perceive any differences, but have always been interested in a "switch" that could change my thinking.

Some that were highly regarded are no longer really available, admission being I am fairly happy where I am at so not doing a ton of reading in this area.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #479 of 607
The whole mod (2 x switches, CAT8 cables) cost me less than I paid for one iSilencer. Already had a great dual power supply that was sitting in the garage since I downsized my system to one box, NAD Masters M33. According to the guys from Alpha Audio, the little D-Link switch is pretty quiet with the stock power supply, so just experiment with those in the first instance.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #480 of 607
The whole mod (2 x switches, CAT8 cables) cost me less than I paid for one iSilencer. Already had a great dual power supply that was sitting in the garage since I downsized my system to one box, NAD Masters M33. According to the guys from Alpha Audio, the little D-Link switch is pretty quiet with the stock power supply, so just experiment with those in the first instance.
That group test by the Alpha Audio guys is great. I have two of the switches in their test. One is audibly better than the other but two in series were better still. As was adding some cheap FMCs into the mix and adding in an Ifi LAN iSilencer or two. Then further improvements from upgrading power supplies to the Netgear switch and FMCs, chassis grounding the switches, vibration damping all items... not least directly on the oscillator in the second switch that feeds my streamer. All very audible, though I'd like to consolidate it if I can, as it's a bit of a spaghetti junction - or at least hide the FMCs and first switch in single enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back