iFi audio LAN iSilencer - Your network. Silenced.
Mar 3, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #76 of 610
I also learned yesterday that the ethernet specification **requires** interfaces to be galvanically isolated.

The connection from your audio device to your router or switch will therefore already have been galvanically isolated **twice**. Adding the lan silencer would unnecessarily isolate the link a third time.

(The large chip on the topside of the lan silencer is an ethernet PHY. It contains two coils that isolate in a similar way to an optoisolator)

i cant comment specifically about what this device does, but Galvanic Isolation with ethernet is physically implemented as a high frequency transformer on each pin. The reason it’s a high frequency transformer is to pass through the data signal (which is a high frequency) but block DC and low frequency noise. They don’t block frequencies higher than the Ethernet signal as they are ‘high pass’ transformers, not ‘band pass’ transformers tuned for just the Ethernet frequency. Therefore, all RFI mixed in with the Ethernet signal will pass through.

Mar 3, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #77 of 610
They're here. I haven't even opened the boxes yet but my system already streams 150% better! :L3000: Take that, ASR!

IMG_1561.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #78 of 610
They're here. I haven't even opened the boxes yet but my system already streams 150% better! :L3000: Take that, ASR!

But seriously...

First, I removed the German-made Emosafe Network Isolator that I'd been using in my system. That inline isolator has two female ends and does its filtering between two attached network cables, while the iFi isolator has a male connector to plug into a streaming device and a female connector for an ethernet cable. Note, the iFi isolator is a little chunky and takes up the equivalent of two adjacent ethernet slots. If you plug it into a switch or router, you need to do so at one of the ends or else sacrifice two middle spots.

I plugged one iFi isolator into my living room router and the other iFi isolator into the ethernet switch in my listening room. I queued up some Peter Gabriel on Qobuz and it sounded like someone had turned up the volume. The music sounded more "crisp" and the transients were more distinct.

I then put everything back the way it was, and the effect was gone.

If iFi Audio's (USB/power/ethernet) filtering devices have a "house sound," that's it. They've simply carried it over to this ethernet filter from their USB and power-filtering dongles. I own enough of them to be familiar with it.

EDIT: After some additional testing on my network, I've found that by inserting a filter at each level of equipment, they have (for lack of a better way to express it) removed a layer of digital grunge from the sound that I wasn't even aware was present. My network is setup as follows: cable modem > 16-port router that goes throughout the house > listening room ethernet switch setup. The changes are audible when I put in/take out the filters. It's not magic, but it makes an audible difference.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #79 of 610
I'm also waiting for an iSilencer for testing.

Will this one do better than a DX-E which simply provides good filtering with 2 RJ45 Hallo.
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ork-cable-experiments/page/3/#comment-1187951
https://www.haloelectronics.com/pdf/fastjack-gigabit.pdf
My server is connected directly to my Gustard A26 (streamer inside) without using a switch (Monoprice Micro SlimRun Cat6).

On a little more than a meter, I have a DX-E combined with a MI1005 filter.
The two combined provide a smooth, calm and wide scene. At least one DX-E is enough when 2 tend to turn the scene into something more central, "front of the face" mix that I like less.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #82 of 610
This is grade A snake oil. For shame, iFi. I’ve worked in the networking space for years, what the product claims is absolute horseshit.
How does your networking experience translate into the field of audio engineering? Have you any experience in audio engineering?
Have you personally evaluated and tested this unit? have you listened to this unit in your own or other systems?

Are you aware that you are outright claiming that Ifi is lying and trying to defraud their customers?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #83 of 610
How does your networking experience translate into the field of audio engineering? Have you any experience in audio engineering?
Have you personally evaluated and tested this unit? have you listened to this unit in your system?

Are you aware that you are outright claiming that Ifi is lying and trying to defraud their customers?
👀

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #84 of 610
This is grade A snake oil. For shame, iFi. I’ve worked in the networking space for years, what the product claims is absolute horseshit.

Yawn. Whether or not it does what it claims to do, it changes the sound. That’s all I care about. And I like the way it changes the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #85 of 610
Yawn. Whether or not it does what it claims to do, it changes the sound. That’s all I care about. And I like the way it changes the sound.

I'm really sorry, but if you'd studied Ethernet, TCP/IP and operating systems, you'd know that it's impossible for this product to change the sound of an audio stream being sent over an ethernet connection.

If you can hear a difference, then I'm sorry to say that you are a victim of placebo effect.

(I didn't want to play this card, but I've been a programmer for over 20 years, I've done network programming, I've done audio programming, I hold a phd in computer science)

The claims being made, make no sense. Again, I'm sorry.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #86 of 610
Have you personally evaluated and tested this unit? have you listened to this unit in your own or other systems?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m claiming. iFi is knowingly committing fraud.

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #87 of 610
I'm really sorry, but if you'd studied Ethernet, TCP/IP and operating systems, you'd know that it's impossible for this product to change the sound of an audio stream being sent over an ethernet connection.

If you can hear a difference, then I'm sorry to say that you are a victim of placebo effect.

(I didn't want to play this card, but I've been a programmer for over 20 years, I've done network programming, I've done audio programming, I hold a phd in computer science)

Seconding. I've studied Ethernet and TCP/IP extensively and taught it at college. It is not possible for the product that iFi is selling to change an audio stream in any way. It's just not possible, sorry.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #89 of 610
@Junglebook3 and @vext01 i don’t think anybody is claiming the data is changed by the device. It would have zero bearing on whether or not the data is corrupted or not. Is that what you’re saying, that it’s not going to change the data? An “audio stream” here is quite ambiguous. Sounds don’t travel down the cable, electrical impulses representing data does.
Can you clarify what you mean?

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #90 of 610

Also a programmer here, not saying it does or doesn't do anything, but since so many people swear by Switches and Lan filters making a difference, I'm giving them the benefit of doubt and am willing to test it myself.
Not to oversimplify, but any Jitter, clocking or data being changed claims are obviously complete bogus.
There is however the possibility of electrical noise affecting audio devices. I've witnessed that first hand. As for claims of galvanic isolation not being perfect ( on some devices )...I was also be skeptical, but my Chord Dave had galvanic isolation over USB and it was clearly not doing much, since you could hear differences between USB sources.
That said, I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt and test it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back