iFi Audio iOne official thread - There can be only one!
Sep 23, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #361 of 454
Playing as well as upscaling DSD like a boss

upload_2018-9-23_15-15-47.png

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #363 of 454
Finally back after a few months of not using the iOne and I remain extremely impressed with it. Very pleased that I made the move to add the iOne as my DAC. Great work iFi.

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #365 of 454
May I ask please what program are you using to upsample to DSD? Is it audirvana or something else?
I am using JRiver Media Center

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #366 of 454
Folks, just a quick bit of nfo: if you're going to attend this year's RMAF in Denver (Colorado), at our booth we'll update firmware of any non-Pro iDSD machine by iFi audio to 5.3C. Why? Most people can get this done on their own, but if you're in need of assistance and would like to get familiar with our GTO filter, we're there for you! Please bring your hardware to our booth and we'll do the rest!

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 24, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #367 of 454
I am using JRiver Media Center
Can you DSD upsample with Jriver spotify, radio stations through TuneIn or you tube on the fly?

I used the trial version of audirvana for windows for upsampling and i had great results with 64 DSD and ione (only 64 because my network/router was a bottleneck) but as I do not have local files it was useful to me only streaming with tidal.

In general, does anyone know if there is any software program for Windows out there like hqplayer that can upsample every streaming possible to DSD on the fly?

My limited knowledge on the issue says NO that such a solution does not exist currently but I hope I am wrong.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #369 of 454
Audio science review of the iOne.
I completely disagree with the conclusion of this review. I don't care about the numbers and the graphs ione is one of the most amazing devices in audio I ever had.

On my brief test comparison was even playing better than xDSD( which is also amazing) but I attribute that difference on the superior power supply I was using with ione i.e ipower (ifi audio again).

I have the first version unless the second version is entirely different I can not agree with this review. For 200£ the price / performance ratio of this device is surreal.

For 150£ the spdif ipurifier is a game changer alone and ione includes already one as far as I understand.

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #370 of 454
I completely disagree with the conclusion of this review. I don't care about the numbers and the graphs ione is one of the most amazing devices in audio I ever had.

On my brief test comparison was even playing better than xDSD( which is also amazing) but I attribute that difference on the superior power supply I was using with ione i.e ipower (ifi audio again).

I have the first version unless the second version is entirely different I can not agree with this review. For 200£ the price / performance ratio of this device is surreal.

For 150£ the spdif ipurifier is a game changer alone and ione includes already one as far as I understand.

"Brief test".. I think human perception is way too unreliable to compare devices honestly, that's why measurements are valuable.

On the other hand, I'm sure the iOne sounds fine.The iFi iDSD BL was also measured by audioscience and it measured very good, with superb amp performance (better than jotunheim!!)

so objectively, the much more expensive iDSD BL measures much better than the iOne. That makes sense, no?

Whether the difference in price is worth the better specs, or is worth the "audible gain", or if the iOne is better value, that is more prone to subjective reasons.

But to say you don't agree with the measurements, I think they are pretty faultless at just showing performance yes?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #371 of 454

While number does not equate SQ but the testing seems indicated there is a problem with clipping on the device.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #372 of 454
"Brief test".. I think human perception is way too unreliable to compare devices honestly, that's why measurements are valuable.

On the other hand, I'm sure the iOne sounds fine.The iFi iDSD BL was also measured by audioscience and it measured very good, with superb amp performance (better than jotunheim!!)

so objectively, the much more expensive iDSD BL measures much better than the iOne. That makes sense, no?

Whether the difference in price is worth the better specs, or is worth the "audible gain", or if the iOne is better value, that is more prone to subjective reasons.

But to say you don't agree with the measurements, I think they are pretty faultless at just showing performance yes?

I do not agree with the conclusion that ione is not recommended as a DAC. I personally believe is a very good DAC at budget level which is my level.

I am not saying I disagree with his measurements which I do not understand and I do not want to understand anyway.

As a personal preference I do not care about the graphs and the numbers because as a consumer I trust my ears and my sences better.

I do not care about graphs and numbers personally for my audio hobby because I am doing a quite technical job where I am looking graphs and numbers all day so I do not want to do that for my hobby as well which is supposed to relax me instead and take me away from complex mathematical formulas and algorithms.

Moreover, exactly because of my background with graphs and quantifiable analysis I have a good feeling about the limitations of numbers and supposedly sophisticated analysis. Yes, in finance I need numbers and graphs because I have no other tools to understand and measure a situation. Almost Everything is about numbers and graphs.

But if I need to appreciate a good wine, a pretty woman or a good DAC ( in my price bracket) I can compare with and trust my tastes better. Obviously, I do not need a number or a supposedly objective scientific analysis to convince me otherwise. I leave that for the engineering department which surely needs a good analysis in order to design a product for me.

Audio Example: Archimago has a nice article where explains contrary to conventional audio wisdom that there is no problem with the usb output of the raspberry pi for audio purposes. The analysis is great, quite sophisticated and his evidence based on objectivity and not only.

Hans beekhuyzen from the other hand although he does some measurements for himself he says that always trust he ears better. He convinced me and I bought the Usbridge although I already had the raspberry pi.

The sound is much better so I cannot agree with Archimago at all no matter graphs he provide me. Is it 150£ better for the price difference I paid? A big discussion I do not want want to have it right now. But very noticeable difference in sound quality. Can I be wrong? Obviously, is my subjective opinion after all. Can I state a personal objection if someone claims that Usbridge is not good at all and not recommended to buy? I think yes! And without being obliged to provide an objective analysis.

I compared ione with es100 that I also have, dragonfly 1.2, nano black, xdsd and Marantz pm6005 internal DAC and where possible I used ipurifier to isolate the DAC comparison effect for my personal interest.

If there is a problem with ione never heard it 2 years now and always ione came on top, most of the times with a considerable margin. I personally believe is on par with xDSD in terms of sound quality if ione does not sound good then maybe xDSD is not good DAC afterall something that I really find hard to believe.

It striked me odd that someone could NOT recommend this as a DAC after so many good reviews and comments from other consumers.
I am offering my opinion not because it is important because it is not, but because I personally feel the recommendation was a bit unfair and may mislead some other consumers.

Oct 3, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #373 of 454
All I know is that when I compared the iOne, NAD M51 and Chord Mojo, all of which I owned at the same time I just couldn't hear any significant sonic benefit with the NAD or Chord offering so I kept the iOne and I really enjoy it. I believe in measurements, but measureable isn't always audible and to date, about a year if not a little more into owning the iOne it is working just fine for me. I do greatly value the Bluetooth connection and that was certainly a factor.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #374 of 454
Rafaelo, he either recommends or doesn't based on it's measurements, not on how he thinks it sounds, basically just another tool which may help people decide on a DAC purchase. The iOne Amir measured is mine, and I think it sounds as good as my TEAC NT503, Topping D50 and SMSL SU-8, personally I really don't hear much difference between them through my iCan Pro.
And just because it didn't measure up to others I'm not gonna get all upset about it, because I still like the way it sounds, even if it has faults. In other words, we should all just relax and enjoy the music.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #375 of 454
Rafaelo, he either recommends or doesn't based on it's measurements, not on how he thinks it sounds, basically just another tool which may help people decide on a DAC purchase. The iOne Amir measured is mine, and I think it sounds as good as my TEAC NT503, Topping D50 and SMSL SU-8, personally I really don't hear much difference between them through my iCan Pro.
And just because it didn't measure up to others I'm not gonna get all upset about it, because I still like the way it sounds, even if it has faults. In other words, we should all just relax and enjoy the music.

I have the iOne for over 1 year and the Topping DX7s (big bro of D50 with additional phone amp & etc.) for about a month.
The DX7s does sound quite a bit better than the iOne. I expect D50 should sounds better than the iOne imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back