iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Aug 19, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #451 of 745
Thank you kind sir. I can only buy Igalvanic for christams so i wont return nano. When i get Igalvanic If i dont see difference i just store nano in safe place.
if one ever broke i can use other. There is no going back to pc ports.

I forgot one more scenario that you may need both. iGalvanic only outputs up to 500mA power since it is bus powered. If your DAC needs more power than that, then you could add your iUSB between iGalvanic and DAC. iUSB outputs up to 2000 mA I believe. In fact when iGalvanic first launched there was a promotional bundle with iDefender + iPower that was used for the same scenario.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #453 of 745
so one can use ipower to power igalvanic instead of pc power?

Technically yes, but you gain very little since the power output noise of the 2 devices are the same.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #455 of 745
So if dac need more power ifi ssuggestion was to use ipower then plug it in idefender and from idefender to Igalvanic?

for more power to DAC, iDefender with iPower needs to go on the output of iGalvanic, not input. And your iUSB Nano can do the same thing.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #456 of 745
The iGalvanic3.0 should have its own power source. Drawing its power from the usb bus is a serious design flaw.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #458 of 745
There’re a few heads-ups if you go the iG3 route. It tends to be very warm even hot whether in action or not. Not malfunctioning or broken or anything like that, just alarmingly hot. Yes, PC power via USB port is not preferable, hence the iG3+iDefender+iPower bundle.

I first got a Nano, then the bundle, then the Micro. My chain looks like this: PC usb => Nano => iG3 => Micro => DAC. Essentially, the Nano is powering the iG3 in the above setup.

Lastly, keep in mind the iG3 is a usb3.0 device, just like Nano and Micro. Consider using usb3.0 interconnect for best result.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #459 of 745
for more power to DAC, iDefender with iPower needs to go on the output of iGalvanic, not input. And your iUSB Nano can do the same thing.

I have a JCat Femto usb card powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2. It has a current output limit of 1.1 amps. The LPS-1.2 easily powers the Jcat Femto but when I add the iGalvanic to the usb line it overloads. I had to use an iDefender with a separate supply injecting the power to the Igalvanic. This took the power load of the iGalvanic away from the LPS-1.2. Serious design flaw in my book.
So in my system, definitely needed the iDefender BEFORE the iGalvanic

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #460 of 745
I have a JCat Femto usb card powered by an Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2. It has a current output limit of 1.1 amps. The LPS-1.2 easily powers the Jcat Femto but when I add the iGalvanic to the usb line it overloads. I had to use an iDefender with a separate supply injecting the power to the Igalvanic. This took the power load of the iGalvanic away from the LPS-1.2. Serious design flaw in my book.
So in my system, definitely needed the iDefender BEFORE the iGalvanic

Yes, that is another scenario. If you don't have full USB 3.0 2.1A output from your source, you will need a power source before iGalvanic. In my configuration, I have a full spec USB 3.0 port and my SU-1 does not use USB power so I have the iGalvanic without any other component in between.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #462 of 745
Yes, that is another scenario. If you don't have full USB 3.0 2.1A output from your source, you will need a power source before iGalvanic. In my configuration, I have a full spec USB 3.0 port and my SU-1 does not use USB power so I have the iGalvanic without any other component in between.
Youre using just Igalvanic to power dac?

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #463 of 745
Youre using just Igalvanic to power dac?

Yes, but not a DAC. The SU-1 is a USB to i2S converter that is self powered with a high end linear power supply.

Aug 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #464 of 745
Folks...

IFA 2018
...it's almost here!

• When?
The 31st Aug - 5 Sept 2018!
  • The place?
Berlin!
  • Where exactly?
Hall 1.2, stand 206, WOD Audio (iFi's German distributor)

You'll have a chance to preview our EISA award winner - xDSD! Our two lovely girls - Victoria and Sarah - will be there supported by Thorsten Loesch himself.

If you'll attend, please visit us!

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #465 of 745
hello, I am interested in the galvanic ifi USB, theoretically it would be a filter that would add a complement to the USB, but from what I read the ifi galvanic USB is not too successful or too much asks and even according to professionals who seem shy towards this filter,
the ifi audio iUSB 3.0 nano power supply has a better recognition, yet two different orientations, and even the Hifi press was not too excited about the galvanic ifi USB,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back