iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #466 of 745
Mine works fine out of my macbook air but needs idefender +/- ipower. Ipower isolates the computer source from the DAC. Difference with using the ipower is not huge but still needed. Isilencer also helps a bit more. My chain:

Macbook Air—> idefender + ipower—-> igalvanic —-> regen super short USB adapter —> isilencer —> DAC

Sep 2, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #467 of 745
[QUOTE = "Chopin75, publication: 14460360, membre: 491409"] La mine fonctionne bien sur mon macbook, mais a besoin d’idéfender +/- ipower. Ipower isole la source informatique du DAC. La différence avec l'utilisation de l'ipower n'est pas énorme mais reste nécessaire. Isilencer aide aussi un peu plus. Ma chaîne:

Macbook Air—> idefender + ipower —-> igalvanic —-> regen super court adaptateur USB -> isilencer -> DAC [/ QUOTE]
Je vous remercie
Mine works fine out of my macbook air but needs idefender +/- ipower. Ipower isolates the computer source from the DAC. Difference with using the ipower is not huge but still needed. Isilencer also helps a bit more. My chain:

Macbook Air—> idefender + ipower—-> igalvanic —-> regen super short USB adapter —> isilencer —> DAC
thank you

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #468 of 745
[QUOTE = "Chopin75, publication: 14460360, membre: 491409"] La mine fonctionne bien sur mon macbook, mais a besoin d’idéfender +/- ipower. Ipower isole la source informatique du DAC. La différence avec l'utilisation de l'ipower n'est pas énorme mais reste nécessaire. Isilencer aide aussi un peu plus. Ma chaîne:

Macbook Air—> idefender + ipower —-> igalvanic —-> regen super court adaptateur USB -> isilencer -> DAC [/ QUOTE]
Je vous remercie

thank you
I own both nano igalvanic 3.0 & micro iusb 3.0. They complement each other very well. For me the combo > micro iusb 3.0 >nano igalvanic 3.0. The difference is easily noticeable. I am using Hugo 2 & audeze lcd i4.
This has upgraded Hugo 2 sound to next level for me. There is zero EMI/RF/GROUND LOOPS/HUM in my system. These degrade the sound to a great extent imo. The pitch black background is unbelievable.

My chain is as follows :
iMac->Roon->ifi mercury 3.0->nano igalvanic 3.0->ifi mercury 3.0->micro iusb 3.0-> curious usb cable-> Hugo 2(ifi groundhog)--AQ water RCA -> Violectric v281-->balanced EA horus-->lcd i4.

ifi's total usb solution(micro iusb + nano galvanic) is far better than optical I own (wireworld supernova 7).

Check out my impressions on ifi micro iusb 3.0 + groundhog: - Post #1922
Check out my impressions on ifi nano galvanic3.0 + micro iusb 3.0 + ifi mercury 3.0 + groundhog:- Post #2011

Thanks

Sep 14, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #470 of 745
Well, I just concluded my first listen at home with my brand-new iGalvanic 3.0 and I am positively surprised indeed - just like others have said before me, it's like a veil was lifted; I hear more detail, more detailed and controlled bass and highs. My pleasure is not complete though, as I have experienced intermittent distortion to the sound throughout the session which was quite annoying. Others have mentioned grounding issues. The lever on my iGalvanic 3.0 is in the middle position and I have both my laptop and dac (chord Mojo) to run on batteries. The only component in my chain hooked up with 120V is the Integrated amp. Is it possible that I still have grounding issues?

To be fair, the distortion occurred in the first half of my listening session so I hope that some sort of running-in might alleviate and eventually erase these symptoms. One thing is for sure, I will get to the bottom of this because I shan't send it back, I like it too much.

P.S.: I didn't get up and play with various usb cables. If others have mended this issue with cable swaps, I shall conduct a couple of experiments with my own cables, too. Otherwise I truly am in awe of this small unit.

Edit: Regarding my thoughts on the performance of this device I must say that this is the first usb decrapifier I have encountered in my system so I can't compare it to other similar products.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #471 of 745
Well, I just concluded my first listen at home with my brand-new iGalvanic 3.0 and I am positively surprised indeed - just like others have said before me, it's like a veil was lifted; I hear more detail, more detailed and controlled bass and highs. My pleasure is not complete though, as I have experienced intermittent distortion to the sound throughout the session which was quite annoying. Others have mentioned grounding issues. The lever on my iGalvanic 3.0 is in the middle position and I have both my laptop and dac (chord Mojo) to run on batteries. The only component in my chain hooked up with 120V is the Integrated amp. Is it possible that I still have grounding issues?

To be fair, the distortion occurred in the first half of my listening session so I hope that some sort of running-in might alleviate and eventually erase these symptoms. One thing is for sure, I will get to the bottom of this because I shan't send it back, I like it too much.

P.S.: I didn't get up and play with various usb cables. If others have mended this issue with cable swaps, I shall conduct a couple of experiments with my own cables, too. Otherwise I truly am in awe of this small unit.

Edit: Regarding my thoughts on the performance of this device I must say that this is the first usb decrapifier I have encountered in my system so I can't compare it to other similar products.
Your findings about what changed with your system is just like mine when I use the ifi iusb3.0 (darkened background, tighter bass ect)I didn’t know what I was missing until I put that in the chain. I wont speak for you but the difference for me was immediately noticeable.

I must say though, I forget the difference between the iGalvanic3.0 and the iusb3.0?

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #472 of 745

Distortion that sounds like clipping/static happens to me on occasion and changing the ground switch does nothing. I disconnect the iGalvanic, wait 10 sec, then reconnect and that resolves it. I think I had this happen 2-3 times over a year.

A slight clicking sound that goes away if you change the ground switch from center on the iGalvanic, indicates a ground issue. This happens sometimes when I disconnect something from my digital chain which fortunately is not often. This is probably just for my system, but when this happens, I disconnect everything in the chain and reconnect in this exact sequence:

1) Power on PC
2) Connect PC USB to iGalvanic
3) Connect iGalvanic to SU-1
4) Power on SU-1

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with my PC power supply since the USB ports remain powered on even when the PC is powered off. Note, everything in my digital chain has a ground pin so each device is on the same ground and on the same power conditioner.

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #473 of 745
I must say though, I forget the difference between the iGalvanic3.0 and the iusb3.0?

iGalvanic has reclocking and complete signal isolation. It can also output a clean low power 5V, but really works best with a DAC that is not powered by the USB input.

iUSB 3.0 has reclocking but no signal isolation. It has noise filters instead. It provides a cleaner and higher power 5V output that iGalvanic.

You could use both if you have a DAC that draws power from it's USB input, however you would also need an iDefender in between iGalvanic and iUSB3.0. The iDefender will cut power from the iGalvanic and replace it with the iUSB3.0. Note though that in this arrangement, only the clean power output of the iUSB3.0 is beneficial. All of the other features on the iUSB3.0 do nothing. This is why the promotional bundle when iGalvanic launched included an iDefender and an iPower.

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #474 of 745
You could use both if you have a DAC that draws power from it's USB input, however you would also need an iDefender in between iGalvanic and iUSB3.0. The iDefender will cut power from the iGalvanic and replace it with the iUSB3.0. Note though that in this arrangement, only the clean power output of the iUSB3.0 is beneficial. All of the other features on the iUSB3.0 do nothing. This is why the promotional bundle when iGalvanic launched included an iDefender and an iPower.

Sorry but that isn't quite right. The iDefender was included to go at the output of the computer and feed clean power from the iPower to the input of the iGalvanic.

If you are using iUSB3.0, that piece already includes an iPower that feeds it directly so no iDefender is needed between iGalvanic and iUSB3.0.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #475 of 745
Distortion that sounds like clipping/static happens to me on occasion and changing the ground switch does nothing. I disconnect the iGalvanic, wait 10 sec, then reconnect and that resolves it. I think I had this happen 2-3 times over a year.

Well, if it is going to happen 2-3 times a year, I can take it, it's worth it. This device is potent.

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #476 of 745
Sorry but that isn't quite right. The iDefender was included to go at the output of the computer and feed clean power from the iPower to the input of the iGalvanic.

If you are using iUSB3.0, that piece already includes an iPower that feeds it directly so no iDefender is needed between iGalvanic and iUSB3.0.

You'r right about the iUSB3.0 not needing iDefender. For using the iDefender on the input side of iGalvanic, I don't think it adds any benefit other than making sure USB 2.0 ports can provide enough power to iGalvanic. In fact if you compare the specs on output noise floor, this is how they rank from worst to best:

iPower - 1 uV
iGalvanic - 0.5 uV
iUSB 3.0 - 0.1 uV

However, all of the above are extremely low noise and doubtful that anyone can hear a difference.

Sep 15, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #477 of 745
Hello,
I'm waiting for the igalvanic ifi audio, as well as the idefender with the ipower for Monday 17/09/2018 it seems to me, it's been over a month since I ordered it, it must have a lot of suck to be easily in breaking

I read and reread several times the experiences of those who bought these USB filters, technically from ifi audio is asked to place the defender with its power ipower at the output of the pc, then to connect the igalvanic through a USB cable, and leave with a second USB cable on the dac, maybe I'm wrong but technically it's the ones who seems the most Logic, the igalvanic does its work in good condition,

I would have liked a review if this is possible, currently I have the ipurifier 2, plugged into the dac, my question is: should it delete it, or can we keep it, with the idefender + feed, and igalvanic, is that too much filter will not degrade the signal, thank you
Tony

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #478 of 745
Hello,
I'm waiting for the igalvanic ifi audio, as well as the idefender with the ipower for Monday 17/09/2018 it seems to me, it's been over a month since I ordered it, it must have a lot of suck to be easily in breaking

I read and reread several times the experiences of those who bought these USB filters, technically from ifi audio is asked to place the defender with its power ipower at the output of the pc, then to connect the igalvanic through a USB cable, and leave with a second USB cable on the dac, maybe I'm wrong but technically it's the ones who seems the most Logic, the igalvanic does its work in good condition,

I would have liked a review if this is possible, currently I have the ipurifier 2, plugged into the dac, my question is: should it delete it, or can we keep it, with the idefender + feed, and igalvanic, is that too much filter will not degrade the signal, thank you
Tony

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #479 of 745
Hello,

Tony
Here are my impressions:

Check out my impressions on ifi micro iusb 3.0 + groundhog: - Post #1922
Check out my impressions on ifi nano galvanic3.0 + micro iusb 3.0 + ifi mercury 3.0 + groundhog:- Post #2011

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #480 of 745
Hello,

I received the set igalvanic + idefender + ipower, and additional USB cable wireworld starlight 7,
on the French territory it is true that these are not too recognized products, so many take these filters for gadgets that bring nothing, and useless, ....
yesterday afternoon after reception I was able after unpacking I have them plugged and listened, and it's true that there is improvement, and the most glaring was with my headphone lcd4, the notes stand out better, one more beautiful sound stage, a little more depth, a better defined bass cleaner it's especially the low frequencies mediums that were the most advantageous, ...... but accompanied by small unpleasant noise on the first plays, as if I listened to a vinyl record and its crackling, on the igalvanic the switch was placed down, then I placed in the center, so less noise, it was better, and then I put the switch up, and all the little noises have gone, .......

being also owner of ipurifier 2, I wanted to do tests with and without,
with the ipurifier 2, we lose transparency, as a slight loss in dynamics, and especially heaviness, so to separate, ......

the idefender plugged into a USB 3.0 PC tower with the ipower, then wireworld 7 cable, on in igalvanic, out audio cable, on dac T + A dac8, and ifi pro ican audio, mains treatment with direct meter line, and inverter double conversion, battery power supply,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back