iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #362 of 745
I think it means iFi Galvanic3.0 needs an earth ground to function properly when in full isolation mode. I'm not sure it means the Intona doesn't give full galvanic isolation.

I bought the iFi Groundhog kit. I added the earth ground from the input side of the balanced power transformers in my system. The Groundhog kit allows you to configure different connections to an IEC cable ground connection. I grounded the usb connector on my Audio PC with it.

I can now operate the iGalvanic in the full isolation position. It improves sound quality fairly significantly. The system plays with greater command and higher definition. The bass is tighter and mid-range is thicker. It sounds like I just upgraded my DAC.....very impressive gains here. Kudos iFi! :dt880smile: :beerchug:

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #365 of 745
The Grounghog IEC cable is about 9" and the usb fitting is about 6". You will need an IEC ac power cord to bring the ground to the IEC fitting from an ac outlet nearby. If you're like me you should have plenty of those. That's where you get the length you need

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #367 of 745
It is likely you only need to ground your Audio PC.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #369 of 745
First, not an IFI fan. Seems nice but too many dying products. Usual made in China, jobbed out. Not AMR. This is low end stuff. Hence I can build this using a modified hub for $25 and some soldering time. If you can't buy it as it should be good even if you do not hear a difference. Just hope it continues to work. not a bash just a truth. They have had bad luck undoubtedly but I did say go buy one nonetheless. There was also a circuit posted here long ago doing the same thing. If you cannot read schematics, soler etc. or do not wish to then this is your deal. I can personally build better technology. However I will sell it to you for $5,000+. Big difference. I make money, Chinese make much less. Still, so long as this sees longevity it should perform a much needed service. I do not need to hear it as there may be nothing quantifiable to hear. It is still doing something important. I am in no way against IFI just stating facts. However, this more than anything "should" help your sound even if you do not hear it's benefits. Plus this is a long time coming. no other company offers this yet. I mean in 3.0. Technically this has to do with the shield not the +3V or -3V. It is also the only proper way to address this issue. I imagine they are using opto-couplers. Anyways, I would certainly not recommend against this. I think it is a must in one way or another. I have been doing it a long time now. If you want off the shelf this is your only option. I see it as fine. I have no crystal ball I cannot say if it quits but they have had problems. Just something to consider but otherwise a great idea.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #371 of 745
i just bought groundhog today. i have tried to connect it to laptop usb port, ipower for micro iusb but all failed. finanlly make it successful to ground the amp. now i can set the igalvanic to middle position.
I guess where you need to add the ground connection via the groundhog will vary from system to system. Perhaps some people will need more than one groundhog if they are lacking earth ground in their system.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #374 of 745
to those who owns a nano/micro iusb3 and IG3, which is your preferred order of connectivity? nano/micro -> iG3 -> DAC or IG3 -> nano/micro -> DAC?

Mine is the latter, iG3 -> nano iusb3.0 -> DAC.
I have mine in the same order as well iG3-> micro iusb->idac2. Just make sure your sources power is stable and very close to 5v. Which I believe was the thought behind selling the i defender and ipower with the iG3. A lot of motherboard manufacturers have added voltage regulators to the USB ports to help with that I know for example asus calls there’s truevolt 5v. Also I think you want to put devices in order of higher noise floor —-> to lower noise floor but in reality not sure how much it matters between the iG3 and the iusb3.0.

So per ifi’s advice I got the groundhog to ground the part of the system after the iG3 since my pc is earth grounded. I used the groundhog on my amp and it ended up working out great. It got rid of the audio clicks and weird dropouts I was having.

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #375 of 745
I'm glad I found this thread... I've been struggling mightily to get my home set up functioning. I've got it 99% solved. If below helps out some other poor soul, then my work is done... I can also use a suggestion to get my setup wrapped up. I'm opening a new CS ticket with iFi since they've been very helpful. I'll post back if it's solved.

Original Chain
MacBook Pro => iDAC2 => iCAN SE

Original Problem
VERY severe hum and other noises. Even when I turned the volume past the noise, it sounded terrible (comparatively speaking). Being a total newbie, I sought help here and from iFi CS. iFi CS suggested Groundhog due to no earth.

Mid-Term Solution
MacBook Pro => iDAC2 => iCAN SE (Groundhog attached to the barrel of the power supply connector). Note - NO other attachment points for the Groundhog or positioning in the chain made a difference. I tried using the headphone connection on the iDAC2 and using the spare USB on the computer. Those made NO difference. The only thing that worked was connecting it to the barrel of the power connector to the iCAN SE. Even then it is a bit fiddly, and wiggling brings the noise back. Now I'm looking for a more permanent solution (3 prong power supply perhaps, but one of the things that iFi touts is the super low noise for theirs).

Mid-Term Problem
Still some "hum", but at least things were listenable. Still not great.

Current Solution
I thought the combo of the iGalvanic 3.0 and iDefender would potentially help. After fiddling even more... Here is what has resulted in the best improvement (and what I'd consider a darn good sound).

MacBook Pro => iGalvanic 3.0 (middle switch position) => iDefender (w/ iPower) => iDAC2 => iCAN SE (w/ Groundhog).
Note - the switch positions on the iGalvanic do nothing (for me). I thought I could potentially take the Groundhog out of the chain (WIRES EVERYWHERE!) and flip the switch, but no. Also, I really did not want to have to use the iPower for the iDefender, so I may experiment with removing the iPower. The iDefender / iPower between the iGalvanic and the iDAC helps reduce some hum. Between the computer and the iGalvinic does nothing.

Current issue
An audible, but low level remaining AC hum / ticking, but oddly it is ONLY when the iCAN SE is at ~ 9 o'clock. When I turn the volume past 10, it vanishes. Also when I touch the case of any unit in the chain (iGalvanic, iDAC, iCAN) it goes away. I don't have a final impression re: the sound improvement from the iGalvanic, but it's served as a really good troubleshooting tool. Note - this is absolutely still from AC power b/c when I unhook the power to the MacBook it goes away also. My temp solution is to just run off the laptop battery, but that's not ideal.

I hope this helps anyone out there with odd power situations, and if anyone can point me in the right direction to get rid of that last tiny bit o' hum - I'll sing your praises.

Off to go get some short cables... this got really messy, really quickly....

Edited to correct the name of the product - I think it should have been the iGalvinator...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back