iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #331 of 745
Nov 10, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #332 of 745
Fran,

I've compared uspcb with Curious link and preferred Curious link. The new ifi Mercury 3.0 USB cable beats them all. My two cents.

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #333 of 745
Thanks Thuan. I've not seen the iFi Mercury 3.0 cable yet. Where did you get it and how much?

Nov 10, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #334 of 745
Fran,

I've compared uspcb with Curious link and preferred Curious link. The new ifi Mercury 3.0 USB cable beats them all. My two cents.

Ideally, you want the distance between iGalvanic to your DAC as short as possible so that your USB out does not collect any EMI/Noise after all the hard work it did in cleaning up. That is the general idea behind the USPCB. Kitsuni Hifi has several 8 inch USB cable choices just for this purpose and reasonably priced due to the short length.

Nov 10, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #335 of 745
Thanks Thuan. I've not seen the iFi Mercury 3.0 cable yet. Where did you get it and how much?

Hi Fran,

I got Mercury3.0 USB from Amazon, but looks like ifi Audio is selling them directly now. Last time I checked, Mercury3.0 (single head) is $209 (0.5m), $269 (1m); Gemini3.0 (dual head) $379 (0.7m), $5xx (1.5m).

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #336 of 745
I didn't like the sound of the blue cable. Much prefer my DIY neotech silver/gold OCC cable. I found uptone PCUSB even better between. Galvanic and my W4S RUR. Then another uptone into my EVS modded Sonica Dac Very pleased with resulting performance!

Nov 10, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #337 of 745
Nov 10, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #338 of 745
Nov 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #342 of 745
When comparing cheap usb adapters, the usb 3.0 one was much more detailed and trebly than the usb 2.0 which was way too dark.
The uspcb picked up a balanced treble and added a lot of musicality if I remember correctly.
Maybe we need a uspcb 3.0

Nov 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #343 of 745
I am not familiar with SOtM sMS-200 Ultra, but if that is your source and it is USB 2.0, it may not have enough current to power the iGalvanic. If it doesn't, you will need to add an iDefender plus 5V power supply. As for cable, I don't think you can use the included USB 3.0 cable with a 2.0 port as source. Data will be fine, but not sure how the current draw will be managed - meaning the iGalvanic expecting 3.0 current draw or 2.0. As for cable quality, it probably doesn't matter as iGalvanic kills noise and reclocks to reduce jitter.

Perhaps others can chime in and confirm that a USB 2.0 source can power the iGalvanic. USB 2.0 max power is 5W, but the iGalvanic spec says power consumption is < 6 watts so doesn't sound like 2.0 as power source is optimal.

I went ahead and ordered the iGalvanic 3.0 today from Amazon.

I have a top notch Wireworld Platinum 7 USB cable. Now I need a second USB cable. Assuming using the UsB cable that comes with iGalvanic, where would I put my best USB cable? Before or after the iGalvanic?

Here is my setup:

Roon Optimized Core Kit on NUC7i5BNH ---> SOtM sMS-200 Ultra (powered by LPS-1) --> Singxer SU-1 (powered by LPS-1) --> i2s --> Holo Spring L3 KTE --> iFi iCan Pro --> Focal Utopia

Obviously, the iGalvanic would go in between the sMS-200 Ultra (player) and the Singxer SU-1

Hope you can leave your impression later on :ksc75smile: I am thinking of getting the igalvanic for my SU-1 and spring KTE

@bflat Your suspicion was right: the SOtM sMs-200Ultra (powered by LPS-1) did not have any juice to make the iGalvanic 3.0 function. Its light would turn on for a brief moment, then nothing.

Anything else I can try before I return he iGalvanic? I don’t want to buy/ add additional gadgets to my already inflated spaghetti chain. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #344 of 745
@bflat Your suspicion was right: the SOtM sMs-200Ultra (powered by LPS-1) did not have any juice to make the iGalvanic 3.0 function. Its light would turn on for a brief moment, then nothing.

Anything else I can try before I return he iGalvanic? I don’t want to buy/ add additional gadgets to my already inflated spaghetti chain. Thanks!

You would need the iDefender and a 5V power supply. You can get both with the promotional bundle with the iGalvanic if you can find one.

Nov 11, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #345 of 745
You would need the iDefender and a 5V power supply. You can get both with the promotional bundle with the iGalvanic if you can find one.

But how would I do that now that I already bought the iGalvanic standalone from Amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back