iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #392 of 745
have you tried turning off the iso ground on iusb3? does it help?
I thought about that yesterday but I didnt tried it yet. Will do tonight. I tried different cables permutation and with the Uptone USPCB hard adapter and same problem.

So if the iso ground switch doesn't solve the problem, it's either that the igalvanic is defective or it has to do with the power from Mac Mini. I will try a idefender with ipower to rule out the igalvanic.

We have an audio show in Montréal this weekend and the ifi rep will be at my dealer booth. I will asked him to exchange the igalvanic or to land me the idefender ipower combo or both solutions. I really hope that it's going to work because I prefer the sound of the igalvanic iusb combo to the sound of the iusb alone. More body and blacker background.

BTW, I tried all 3 positions on the igalvanic switch without success.

Thanks for your input.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #393 of 745
GHoldridge, do you use idefender for the iG3 in your chain?

because of some problem, i have swap my iglavanic bundle to micro iusb.

but once you know the improvement IG3 brings, it's very hard to do without. so i'm considering whether to purchase another IG3 and stack with iusb, and how should i go about stacking both of them.

so i'm trying to find out if IG3 before micro, does idefender brings any benefit at all? i'm hoping to do without it because of some issue i faced previously.

Thanks in advance!
No I don’t use the idefender why not use an ifi Irack I’ve seen some used or demo ones for sale
I thought about that yesterday but I didnt tried it yet. Will do tonight. I tried different cables permutation and with the Uptone USPCB hard adapter and same problem.

So if the iso ground switch doesn't solve the problem, it's either that the igalvanic is defective or it has to do with the power from Mac Mini. I will try a idefender with ipower to rule out the igalvanic.

We have an audio show in Montréal this weekend and the ifi rep will be at my dealer booth. I will asked him to exchange the igalvanic or to land me the idefender ipower combo or both solutions. I really hope that it's going to work because I prefer the sound of the igalvanic iusb combo to the sound of the iusb alone. More body and blacker background.

BTW, I tried all 3 positions on the igalvanic switch without success.

Thanks for your input.
The igalvanic does separate your systems earth ground into different halves. Usually the pc is what gives the earth ground before the iG3 might want make sure. Does any of the equipment after the iG3 have a proper earth ground? I had to run an additional ground from my ican pro to earth ground i was getting all sorts of weird issues before I did this

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #394 of 745
No I don’t use the idefender why not use an ifi Irack I’ve seen some used or demo ones for sale

The igalvanic does separate your systems earth ground into different halves. Usually the pc is what gives the earth ground before the iG3 might want make sure. Does any of the equipment after the iG3 have a proper earth ground? I had to run an additional ground from my ican pro to earth ground i was getting all sorts of weird issues before I did this

My set up is: Mac Mini with Uptone MMK kit for linear power supply to igalvanic to Micro iusb 3.0 to double heads USB cable to a Reference 10.32 dac/headamp/preamp that is plug with a three prongs power cord in a distribution box plug in my wall outlet (all Furutech GTX-D).

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #396 of 745
My set up is: Mac Mini with Uptone MMK kit for linear power supply to igalvanic to Micro iusb 3.0 to double heads USB cable to a Reference 10.32 dac/headamp/preamp that is plug with a three prongs power cord in a distribution box plug in my wall outlet (all Furutech GTX-D).
Well just remember just because it has a 3 prong power dosnt mean it’s earth grounded. A lot of times the 3 prong is just neutral in a circuit. I don’t know if yours is designed like that or not.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #397 of 745
Well just remember just because it has a 3 prong power dosnt mean it’s earth grounded. A lot of times the 3 prong is just neutral in a circuit. I don’t know if yours is designed like that or not.

Well I do believe the third prong of my power cord is a ground but I will make sure as I can meet the designer/buider of the cable this weekend at the Montréal Audio Show. Unless you are talking about the dac itself. Sorry i'm not that knowledgeable with electricity other than I need good one to have good sonics results.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #398 of 745
keep us updated on the findings. previously i have problem with my igalvanic and it persist through all 3 settings as well, and it only happened recently.

Did you had the same problem as me? Strong intermitent white noise?

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #399 of 745
that time i only have igalvanic, i'm using a usb power dac and it will poweroff/drop off randomly. all 3 settings has the same issue.

i'm using the igalvanic for months without any problem. it's only when the idefender gave way then this problem happens on the igalvanic.

not sure what is wrong, I end up exchanging it for micro iusb.

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #400 of 745
Folks, Salon Audio Montreal Fest is the place to be this weekend.

Over 100 exhibitors, over 300 brands! And yes, iFi audio is there as well. Montreal's Hotel Bonaventure during this weekend is yet another place to witness what our Pro iDSD is capable of. If you're around, please visit us!

The show starts on the 23rd of March 2018 at 11:00 local time and ends on the 25th of March 2018 (17:00).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 23, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #401 of 745
I did not have a good experience with the iGalvanic. Was getting intermittent white noise (super annoying loud when listening to relaxing music) and just ruins the entire experience. Also I could not tell a different between the three switch modes. With the iG in the equation i did notice a slight positive difference. In the end, the negatives far outweighed the positives and I returned it.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #402 of 745
I did not have a good experience with the iGalvanic. Was getting intermittent white noise (super annoying loud when listening to relaxing music) and just ruins the entire experience. Also I could not tell a different between the three switch modes. With the iG in the equation i did notice a slight positive difference. In the end, the negatives far outweighed the positives and I returned it.
I have the exact same problem. I really hope there is really a solution as the combo with Micro iusb 3.0 is really, really, really great.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #403 of 745
that time i only have igalvanic, i'm using a usb power dac and it will poweroff/drop off randomly. all 3 settings has the same issue.

i'm using the igalvanic for months without any problem. it's only when the idefender gave way then this problem happens on the igalvanic.

not sure what is wrong, I end up exchanging it for micro iusb.
You mean that the problem happened without the idefender in the mix? Was it with the ipower?

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #404 of 745
somewhere in aug last year - bought igalvanic bundle.
about a week after i bought the bundle - idefender gave way. cannot power up anything. - 1 to 1 exchange with shop on idefender
this year feb - idefender gave way again. 1 to 1 exchange with shop. noticed igvalanic have random lost connection/power down my usb dac problem on direct usb to my laptop, tried on 2nd laptop same result
5 days after 1 to 1 exchange with shop - replacement idefender gave way again. when idefender is working during the few days, i'm also having lost connection/powerdown issues. suspect something went south with igalvanic already. replaced the entire bundle with micro iusb with shop.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #405 of 745
edited the above. previously i mention "dropout" but it is not correct. "lost connection" is the correct word. when it happens, the SSpeed led on igalvanic will be power off. only the power led is lighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back