iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #406 of 745
I have gotten another igalvanic from canjam. now i'm using micro iusb with igalvanic. Did not encounter any white noise, but i'm facing audio dropout when the igalvanic isololation is in the middle position. up position solve the problem but i will continue to troubleshoot further as to why this happen.

Mar 26, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #407 of 745
I have gotten another igalvanic from canjam. now i'm using micro iusb with igalvanic. Did not encounter any white noise, but i'm facing audio dropout when the igalvanic isololation is in the middle position. up position solve the problem but i will continue to troubleshoot further as to why this happen.
I have this problem as well. And opened ticket and talked to ifi staff. This is cause by the grounding problem in one or more components in the chain...I did not have time and patience to test one by one and plug here and unplug there...now I just leave it at up position.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #408 of 745
Saturday, I bought the idefender 3.0 + ipower 5v to use between my Mac Mini and the igalvanic 3.0. No white noise whatsoever. But I don't have my Micro iusb 3.0 in my system to test with the igalvanic as I land the Micro iusb to a friend for demo. But I doubt that the problem came from the pairing of the igalvanic to the Micro iusb. I'm pretty sure the white noise came from insufficient power from the USB port of my MAC as my mouse was acting terribly as soon as I plugged the igalvanic directly in the Mac. As soon as I plugged the idefender with ipower, the mouse returned to normal operation. So I guess that the problem is fixed. To be confirmed later this week as I will get back my Micro iusb 3.0 and USB cables.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #409 of 745
From my experience, Igalvanic pairs well with Idefender with external power source. It sounds better. Maybe u can try comparing the 5v Ipower against a micro USB cable from micro iusb3 powering the Idefender.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #410 of 745
That's a great idea, as 5v from Micro iUSB3.0 is the lowest noise there is. I should try it soon.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #411 of 745
thuanb, nice to see you here :dt880smile:

i notice groundhog when connected to micro iusb, it adds extension to the highs. not sure if it's only for my setup that has this effect, need someone who has both to give it a try. i connect the ground via one of the usb power port.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #412 of 745
I think it is doing exactly what this thread is discussing..

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/

will change mine to the dc spark connector and hear if it has similar improvement

*on second thought i might just leave it in the usb slot. as the fit is tighter and the dc connector can be inserted fully without the spark connector.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #413 of 745
Unfortunaltely, even with the idefender 3.0 and the ipower between my Mac Mini and the igalvanic 3.0, the latter still do intermittent white noise bursts.It seems that the mmore that the igalvanic play et become hotter, the more it suffered from this problem and the bursts last longer. Again, I have absolutely no problem with the Micro iusb 3.0 alone in my system. It's clear that there is something wrong with the igalvanic. Or it is a defective unit or the concept simply doesn.t work. In my system at least. I just asked my dealer to exchange the igalvanic with another one to see if the problem is the concept in my system. If it's the case, I will have to go the Uptone Iso Regen route. Too bad because I really liked the sound of the ifi bundle when it worked.

I will keep you posted.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #414 of 745
I was using the igalvanic and had similar problems of intermittent drops and glitching on a usb2 port and loud white noise on usb3.

I found doing the following resulted in neither issue. Once connected it wouldn't cause any problem until the PC was turned off and back on or the DAC was unplugged.

Using idefender powered by ipower 5v into the usb 3 cable provided, to the igalvanic, to a curious USB cable into Resonessence Concero HP.

First I plugged the powered idefender into a USB port. Plugged in my dac and waited for it to be recognised.
Once it was recognised I gave it a few seconds just to make sure.

Then without powering down the DAC, I unplugged the idefender from the USB port whilst still connected to the ipower.

I plugged the idefender (and consequently everything else into a usb2 port) .

Let the PC recognise the DAC. Ensured the volume was at a normal level as the concero has a habit of defaulting to 0db.

Doing this netted me glitch free audio from the igalvanic.

This might be unique to my DAC but I was pulling my hair out until I stumbled on this trick that worked with my combo of gear

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #416 of 745
Unfortunaltely, even with the idefender 3.0 and the ipower between my Mac Mini and the igalvanic 3.0, the latter still do intermittent white noise bursts.It seems that the mmore that the igalvanic play et become hotter, the more it suffered from this problem and the bursts last longer. Again, I have absolutely no problem with the Micro iusb 3.0 alone in my system. It's clear that there is something wrong with the igalvanic. Or it is a defective unit or the concept simply doesn.t work. In my system at least. I just asked my dealer to exchange the igalvanic with another one to see if the problem is the concept in my system. If it's the case, I will have to go the Uptone Iso Regen route. Too bad because I really liked the sound of the ifi bundle when it worked.

I will keep you posted.

The now white burst u r experiencing is from Idefender n igalvanic, without the micro iusb? If it happens on all 3 setting, I will believe it's a faulty unit..

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #417 of 745
I was using the igalvanic and had similar problems of intermittent drops and glitching on a usb2 port and loud white noise on usb3.

I found doing the following resulted in neither issue. Once connected it wouldn't cause any problem until the PC was turned off and back on or the DAC was unplugged.

Using idefender powered by ipower 5v into the usb 3 cable provided, to the igalvanic, to a curious USB cable into Resonessence Concero HP.

First I plugged the powered idefender into a USB port. Plugged in my dac and waited for it to be recognised.
Once it was recognised I gave it a few seconds just to make sure.

Then without powering down the DAC, I unplugged the idefender from the USB port whilst still connected to the ipower.

I plugged the idefender (and consequently everything else into a usb2 port) .

Let the PC recognise the DAC. Ensured the volume was at a normal level as the concero has a habit of defaulting to 0db.

Doing this netted me glitch free audio from the igalvanic.

This might be unique to my DAC but I was pulling my hair out until I stumbled on this trick that worked with my combo of gear

Thanks for sharing. I only have USB 3.0 port with my Mac Mini. Don't know if it's the cause of the problem. I would like somebody from ifi Audio to chime in as it seems my problem is not unique. I will try to follow your sequence of plug-unplug-plug the idefender.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #418 of 745
The now white burst u r experiencing is from Idefender n igalvanic, without the micro iusb? If it happens on all 3 setting, I will believe it's a faulty unit..
Yes. It did the white noise bursts with the Micro iusb 3.0, without the Micro iusb 3.0, with the idefender 3.0 with and ipower and without it and with any switch position.

So like you wrote, everything is pointing in the igalvanic direction and it's most probably a faulty unit. Or the whole concept is flaw and cannot be used in my system.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #419 of 745
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #420 of 745

Users who are viewing this thread

Back