iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Nov 11, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #347 of 745
But how would I do that now that I already bought the iGalvanic standalone from Amazon?
Ask them, they should understand. You may want to buy a Mercury3.0 or two in addition to that. I admit it's kinda expensive but this USB 3.0 cable is really game changer, and you won't regret.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #348 of 745
Ask them, they should understand. You may want to buy a Mercury3.0 or two in addition to that. I admit it's kinda expensive but this USB 3.0 cable is really game changer, and you won't regret.

Done! Just emailed iFi

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #349 of 745
Interesting reading here. Thanks everyone for their input.

Every few months or so I research the latest USB line fixer-uppers. I've already invested over $2000 in my usb transport setup to my W4S Dac.
I have:
Audio PC > PPA V4usb card (TeraDak +5 w/ DC iPurifier) > Pachanko dual headed usb cable > Intona Galvanic isolator > Pachanko RUR link > RUR Recovery (TeraDak +9adjustable + DC iPurifier) > Pachanko RUR link > SU1 Audio Bridge(i2s out) > Wireworld Starlight 7 silver HDMI > W4S DAC2V2 DSDse (i2s input)

This setup sounds superb, but always looking for favorable tweaks. How would I best implement the iGalvanic here? If I go for it, should I replace both the Intona and the RUR, adding an iDefender to power the iGalvanic. Or would I just replace the Intona and leave the RUR. Has anybody used both the RUR and iGalvanic together?

Also the iGalvanic would allow me to use the iFi mercury 3.0 cable going forward, since at this time it may be the best cable out there. In my current setup, there is no place it will work. You can put a 2.0 cable in a usb type b 3.0 connector, but you can't pit a 3.0 cable in a type b 2.0 connector. :triportsad: All my usb-b input connectors are 2.0

My feeling is that the iGalvonic won't help me enough to justify its cost......and its implementation is not straightforward for me.

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #351 of 745
Hi Fran,

The iPurifier2 lets me connect USB 3.0 cable onto DAC USB 2.0 jack.

Aaahh, that is the way to get that cable in. Thanks, Thuan. Actually, I already have one on the SU-1 input,.....forgot

I know the weak link in my setup is the Intona. It isolates the DAC from pc noise but adds a bit of jitter. The RUR cleans most of that up.

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #352 of 745
Aaahh, that is the way to get that cable in. Thanks, Thuan. Actually, I already have one on the SU-1 input,.....forgot

I know the weak link in my setup is the Intona. It isolates the DAC from pc noise but adds a bit of jitter. The RUR cleans most of that up.

You could try replacing Intona with iG3 feeding RUR to see how it's to your liking. ISO Regen would be another excellent choice, I heard. Whichever you do or don't, you should try Marcin's tweaks on DAC driver and settings. They've changed my game.

Nov 12, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #353 of 745
The Galvanic 3.0 works great with the RUR! It made a substantial improvement over just RUR. I run uptone PCUSBs out of both of them. Would try it that way into the Galvanic. But don't have room for everything back to back. What DAC tweaks are you referring too?

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #354 of 745
The Galvanic 3.0 works great with the RUR! It made a substantial improvement over just RUR. I run uptone PCUSBs out of both of them. Would try it that way into the Galvanic. But don't have room for everything back to back. What DAC tweaks are you referring too?

Please visit JPLAY.eu website. There're lots of brilliant tweaks there. Same can be said about Highend-AudioPC's.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #355 of 745

I have a very similar setup with a RUR following an Intona Industrial.

I tried the Uptone ISO Regen, but had trouble with the grounding scheme in my place, I would switch a light and that would shut down my computer, this type of stuff is reported in a few cases and I understand has to do with the isolation chip used in the Uptone and iFi devices (that is why they both include isolation defeat or adjustment switches). There was one user I read that actually uses an Intona in front of of the ISO Regen to prevent a similar problem.

What I notice though, is it seems your RUR is not using isolated power (I am using Uptone LPS-1 caps powered by Teradak), so you may be losing the isolation benefit of the Intona, maybe try a battery there as a test,

Also I think I noticed an improvement using an Uptone PCUSB between the Intona and RUR compared to a PPA link I was using previously (also the PCUSB provides a solid fit between the Intona and RUR but you probably need a right-angle DC cord for the RUR... Ghent Audio stuff works great..) .

Intona sent a mail about a month ago which mentioned they have something new in the works which may provide an new alternative, I have purchased a lot of iFi stuff and everything exceeded expectations, but in this case I am holding off due to my setup sounds great and I may again encounter a system grounding problem due to my particular configuration.

I think another use for these USB isolation devices (especially 3.0 USB) could be to isolate a large HDD storage drive from the motherboard noise... I may give that a try so I can at least add the igalvanic3 to my growing stack of white iFi boxes...:L3000:

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #356 of 745
Hey Motberg, thanks for the insights. I ordered today the Uptone uspcb to put between the Intona and RUR. For $35 it is worth a try. For now, I'm gonna pass on the iGalvanic 3.0.

Interesting insight about the DC power supply on the RUR not being isloated. One thing I can tell you is that my system has very little noise on ground. It is because my system is on balanced power. I highly recommend that for all audiophiles. It puts ground on the center tap of your ac system and reactive currents get cancelled out before it gets on your ground. Therefore noise contamination from my DC supplies is minimal. Here's an explanation:
http://www.equitech.com/articles/bpng.html
My balanced power transformers come from here:
https://www.corepowertechnologies.com/
I don't want to get this thread off topic but balanced power and galvanic isolation are fighting the same enemy.

I use external HDD for music so isolating or filtering their input on the pc is a good idea. I'll look into something cheap there.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #357 of 745
It's been about 6 weeks with my iGalvanic added and yesterday, I started hearing some pops and clicks. Through a process of elimination, I've determined there is something wrong with my iGalvanic so I am in process of getting warranty service. I now have a direct connection from my PC to SU-1 and without iGalvanic, my impression is that the sub bass extension is a touch less and the highs are a touch sharp. I eagerly await getting a working iGalvanic back.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #358 of 745
Interesting reading here. Thanks everyone for their input.
This setup sounds superb, but always looking for favorable tweaks. How would I best implement the iGalvanic here? If I go for it, should I replace both the Intona and the RUR, adding an iDefender to power the iGalvanic. Or would I just replace the Intona and leave the RUR. Has anybody used both the RUR and iGalvanic together?

You could replace the isolator you currently use with iGalvanic3.0 ant leave the rest as is. Our return policy is generous, hence to reach to your local iFi representative/distributor and move from there shouldn't be any issue. Point being, it's for the best to let your ears be the judge and keep a better isolator in the process. iDefender3.0 in the chain could elevate the experience a notch or two as well.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 15, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #359 of 745
I came to the same conclusion to replace the Intona and keep the rest of my chain. I know the Intona can be improved upon since it really is not an audiophile grade device. However, the Intona still has the effect of lowering noise floor, increasing depth and improving imaging. I've decided to try the iGalvanic. I have a PPA V4 usb card on a linear supply at the output of my pc so I think the power going into the iGalvanic from the USB line should be good. I'm excited at what the iGavanic can do in the Intona's place. It's crazy what we need to do to get the best USB audio signal. Makes me wonder about the whole USB protocol.

I ordered and already received the iFi Mercury 3.0 usb cable. I installed it between the RUR and the Singxer SU-1 using an iPurifier 2 to adapt it for the 3.0 fitting. Wow, this thing has made a difference in sound profile immediately. With the Mercury the sound gained clarity and detail. However, it is a bit bright and forward at first. From previous cable burn-ins, I can predict it to tone down and open up. I'm expecting this to be a decent improvement. I'll update next week.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #360 of 745
I received the iGalvanic3.0 last night. I swapped out the Intona and tried to bring up AO/Jplay/BugHead playback. I could not get Kernel Streaming to display in Jplay. I reran AO and reinstalled Kernel streaming support but no KS.I could get it to connect to ASIO and play, but that is inferior sounding and had clicks. I booted out of core mode on the Audio PC. I could see the SU-1 XMOS device in Device Manager, but still no KS. I was about to reload the XMOS driver but decided to put the Intona back in. Kernel Streaming came up in Jplay. I again swapped the iGalvanic for the Intona.......and magically now the Kernel Streaming is working.............go figure.

I began playback with Ground toggle switch in middle(full isolation) position. Unfortunately this setting still gave me some noise clicks in playback. When I put the toggle switch in either soft ground positions, the clicks disappeared. My system is on balanced power with an isolated ground in the center tap of the 120 vac transformer. I have not added a real earth ground to it. I suppose I can buy the the iFi Groundhog kit and add the ground......another $50.
https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Groundhog-Ground-Isolator-Systems/dp/B071FM3Q6N/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511025477&sr=1-21&refinements=p_4:IFI

My initial impression is that the iGalvanic3.0 is a decent upgrade over the Intona. More depth and weight, better imaging and clarity. I predict if I add the earth ground and can use the full isolation position, the improvement will be even more. Very nice device iFi. It was good you added the multiple grounding switch positions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back