iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #286 of 745
The Galvanic 3 is now sorted out. Had to reapply some filters in minimserver streamcode than got DSD working. Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Redbook and iTunes wav file conversions sound like DSD! The noise floor is so much lower. Layers of quiet. Space and air you can breath and walk around in. Colors and textures I was previously unaware of.
Running mine with uptone audio hard A/B adapters into and out of my W4S reclocker.
A DIY neotech silver/gold usb out of my EVS Oppo Sonica Dac and into the Galvanic 3. Wonderful just wonderful
and its just breaking in!

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #288 of 745
They function as ideal 90 ohms cables. They also sound just a bit better than my very good DIY silver gold usb cables. Just have to arrange devices to sit directly behind the dac. Works great...sounds better than it did with said usb cables!

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #292 of 745
Most of you guys already know this, but this is our take on the galvanic isolation in a pill.

Galvanic isolation is a design technique that separates electrical circuits to eliminate stray currents. Signals can pass between galvanically isolated circuits, but stray currents, such as differences in ground potential or currents induced by AC power, RF noise etc. are blocked. In the literal interpretation galvanic isolation means that there is no connection for direct current, meaning a galvanically isolated circuit will measure theoretically infinite resistance, in practice it will be at least 10's of Gigaohm (1GOhm = 1 Million Kiloohm = 1,000,000,000 Ohm) to TeraOhm as even air conducts some electricity.

For USB audio this is a highly desirable feature, as with USB we have not just balanced signals, but also ground (even if the power is cut completely) and via this ground wire ground loops form, even if there is no audible hum. Also high frequency noise can travel along all wired in a USB cable and cause RF problems in downstream equipment, possibly not even the USB DAC itself but amplifiers following it. It is possible to address ground loops by other means. There have also been for many years first generation USB isolators offering galvanic isolation, at the cost of blocking most high resolution audio streams due to speed limitations and negatively impact sound quality due to very high level of jitter.

At least where audible hum is concerned and several of iFi's products offer "ground-loop breakers", ever since our first USB product, the iUSB Power introduced in 2012. However, only galvanic isolation can stop higher frequencies coupling between the computer source (and every streamer out there is also a computer) which is an excellent source of RF noise emissions and the audio system which is often less than excellent in separating such emissions from the signal, causing audible noise or if not directly audible noise, then subjective degradation of sound quality. So it has been a long time goal at iFi (since before 2012) to deliver full High-Rez audio compatible and low jitter galvanic isolation for USB.

Hopefully you'll find it usefull.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #294 of 745
Yes, you can expect the sound to be better over time.
Absolutely. Most audio electronics don't completely settle in for at least a couple hundred hours in my experience. Burn in tracks of random noise and frequency sweeps do seem to somewhat speed up the process. Jlabs earbuds used to have a freebie that was pretty good. Or XLO has a good track on their disc. Cardas also has one. Or just simply run a lot of music continuosly for a while. Occasionally listen in between. You will hear the improvements!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #295 of 745
Just got my iGalvanic3.0. Can I expect the sound to change in following hours - is there a burn-in time?
Yes, you can expect the sound to be better over time.
Also these devices (including iPurifier2 and iUSB3.0) benefit from a good half hour or warm up if they are not left permanently powered.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #296 of 745
Ok nice to know that sound will get even better.

I dont understand the technology, but its strange for me that an all digital device can produce different results after burn in or warm up. For example computers either work or not, operation not changing in time.

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #298 of 745
Ok nice to know that sound will get even better.

I dont understand the technology, but its strange for me that an all digital device can produce different results after burn in or warm up. For example computers either work or not, operation not changing in time.
Not true, computers after Time are starting to get hotter, slower, less efficient, electrostatics are building in HDDs and SSDs... and Many more.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #299 of 745
Not true, computers after Time are starting to get hotter, slower, less efficient, electrostatics are building in HDDs and SSDs... and Many more.

Those are analog issues. Digitally computers still work exactly the same, not missing a bit anywhere. Otherwise they would be useless. Of course error correction plays some part here.

Oct 7, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #300 of 745
After few days iGalvanic stopped working. It plays for few minutes then Windows loses the USB DAC device (Chord Hugo2). Tried the switch in all 3 positions.

Is it faulty unit or just having issues in general?

Playing in Windows 10 with foobar and ASIO drivers.
Sounds like a cable/contact problem. Wiggle the cables. Clean the plugs. Make sure nothing moves while playing and see if it still happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back