iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #542 of 745
Hello,
I wanted to thank ifi audio pro for their speed to help me out with the French importer, I thought that taking a ticket, it led me to wait several days, and no, ifi audio has quickly responded, c is encouraging to know that as a customer and buyer there is a very serious service at ifi audio pro, thanks again,
Tony

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #543 of 745
Dear IFI and whoever might take the time to suggest me.

I have put together a good system based of Ifi products in the last months and I was very happy with the results until I bought an external LG Ultrafine 4k display for my macbook.

Connecting the monitor to a Usb-c port on my mac results in a constant low volume buzzing "electrical" sound. It seems less loud than a ground issue I had previously but might still be that.

My system is Macbook -- a quality split usb cable (power end connected with Ipower 5v) -- iPurifier3 -- Black Label dac -- iTube 2 -- amp connected to ground -- speakers.

The monitor has its own power cable that share the same ground with the amp and it is inevitably supplying power to the mac with this new usb-c connection. A few sparks and cracking sounds happen when connecting the monitor, or if already connected, when plugging anything else to the other ports of the mac.
It is completely silent without the monitor and no sparks when connecting peripherals.

Do I have a ground issue or just interference from the monitor's power supply? Should I use Groundhog or iDefender or even iGalvanic to isolate the usb? Maybe upgrade the power cable of the monitor? As it is probably clear, I really have no idea at the moment.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #544 of 745
Do I have a ground issue

If your monitor's PSU and your amp both have earth connections, it's most likely.

You could try using our iDefender to break the earth loop, on go even more extreme with iGalvanic.

We also recommend to make the connection from your monitor to your laptop first before powering up the former. If frequent enough, the 'sparks' may cause damage to your laptop's USB port.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 22, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #545 of 745
If your monitor's PSU and your amp both have earth connections, it's most likely.

You could try using our iDefender to break the earth loop, on go even more extreme with iGalvanic.

We also recommend to make the connection from your monitor to your laptop first before powering up the former. If frequent enough, the 'sparks' may cause damage to your laptop's USB port.

Ifi thank you, will try the iDefender first!

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #546 of 745
hello,
I have several research about USB filters ifi audio, I could see that there is also the isilencer, how much filter is there, ....... why not have that a single box that would group them all, all these packaging, ......
would it be possible to know if it brings a plus, and or place it, in front of the idefender, or after the idefender, or on a free USB input, thanks for an opinion,

Oct 24, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #547 of 745
hello,
I have several research about USB filters ifi audio, I could see that there is also the isilencer, how much filter is there, ....... why not have that a single box that would group them all, all these packaging, ......
would it be possible to know if it brings a plus, and or place it, in front of the idefender, or after the idefender, or on a free USB input, thanks for an opinion,
I think some
Of the devices have silencer eg ipurifier. The isilencer has no effect before idefender for me and i use ipower to feed the idenfender to isolate the computer. It also has minimal effect after idefender but before igalvanic. Of placed after igalvanic just before entering DAc it has qute audible effect with better laterinf, smoother and more organic. Without any additonal devices isilencer + USB cable alone makes most difference! I used macbook air audirvana direct mode when testing it.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #548 of 745
hello,

The amount of technology in i.e. iSilencer or iDefender is much lower than in (say) our iUSB3.0 micro or nano iGalvanic3.0, which is reflected in their price. In many ways the less expensive device 'splits out' certain functionality from micro iUSB3.0 to help improve things where budget is an issue.

If you use nano iUSB3.0 or iGalvanic3.0 (or both), there is normally no need for products tiered lower in our range.

Our iDefender has two functions but the second one is mandatory to allow the first one. The product breaks the ground connection to defeat ground-loops causing hum. In order to do this it also must disconnect bus power.

If a device which follows iDefender needs bus power for operation (as opposed to simply sensing that Vbus is present as "handshake"), then iDefender can't function unless an external power source is connected.

This leads to the second function, which is to inject a clean separate power from our iPower 5V or from any power supply you happen to have or wish to use. This is done not only to break ground loops but also to power peripherals that require higher power levels than provided by standard PC USB ports and/or those that cause severely varying current draw (e.g. mechanical hard drives powered via USB).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #549 of 745
The amount of technology in i.e. iSilencer or iDefender is much lower than in (say) our iUSB3.0 micro or nano iGalvanic3.0, which is reflected in their price. In many ways the less expensive device 'splits out' certain functionality from micro iUSB3.0 to help improve things where budget is an issue.

If you use nano iUSB3.0 or iGalvanic3.0 (or both), there is normally no need for products tiered lower in our range.

Our iDefender has two functions but the second one is mandatory to allow the first one. The product breaks the ground connection to defeat ground-loops causing hum. In order to do this it also must disconnect bus power.

If a device which follows iDefender needs bus power for operation (as opposed to simply sensing that Vbus is present as "handshake"), then iDefender can't function unless an external power source is connected.

This leads to the second function, which is to inject a clean separate power from our iPower 5V or from any power supply you happen to have or wish to use. This is done not only to break ground loops but also to power peripherals that require higher power levels than provided by standard PC USB ports and/or those that cause severely varying current draw (e.g. mechanical hard drives powered via USB).
hello, thank you for these clarifications,

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #550 of 745
I already have the ifi BL and I don't hear any noises since my Motherboard is quite good (Asus Maximus VIII Hero) but I think I could benefit from cleaner signal.

If I had to pick between nano iGalvanic 3.0 or micro iUSB 3.0, which one should I purchase first? I'll be getting both of em eventually but with the funds I have right now, I'm only planning to get one and use it for a while.

Nov 25, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #551 of 745
I already have the ifi BL and I don't hear any noises since my Motherboard is quite good (Asus Maximus VIII Hero) but I think I could benefit from cleaner signal.

If I had to pick between nano iGalvanic 3.0 or micro iUSB 3.0, which one should I purchase first? I'll be getting both of em eventually but with the funds I have right now, I'm only planning to get one and use it for a while.
I would imagine igalvanic is better as it galvanically isolates a noisy source, if u have one. Igalvanic has no active noise cancellation but u can either add a ifi usb purifier 3 after the igalvanic or isilencer. I think former may be more effective, apparently the active noise cancellation is latest generation. But it looks like iusb3 cAn provide clean USB power downstream, so if your DAC requires USB power that may be good too.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #552 of 745
I would imagine igalvanic is better as it galvanically isolates a noisy source, if u have one. Igalvanic has no active noise cancellation but u can either add a ifi usb purifier 3 after the igalvanic or isilencer. I think former may be more effective, apparently the active noise cancellation is latest generation. But it looks like iusb3 cAn provide clean USB power downstream, so if your DAC requires USB power that may be good too.

Thank you. My gut is telling to go with the iGalvanic first hmm

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #553 of 745
Thank you. My gut is telling to go with the iGalvanic first hmm
The igalvanic works nicely with ipower+idefender that isolate the
Source power so the galvanic is entirely powered by ipower though I have used idefender alone without ipower which also helps a lot already. I have not really used igalvanic alone. The iusb3 and ipurifier3 has overlapping features and i guess u can put iusb3 before igalvanic or ipurifier after it.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #554 of 745
The igalvanic works nicely with ipower+idefender that isolate the
Source power so the galvanic is entirely powered by ipower though I have used idefender alone without ipower which also helps a lot already. I have not really used igalvanic alone. The iusb3 and ipurifier3 has overlapping features and i guess u can put iusb3 before igalvanic or ipurifier after it.
I see. the cost of igalvanic + idefender + ipower is almost similar to iusb 3.0.

Which is why Im contemplating on just getting the igalvanic for now, then grab iusb 3.0 (or vice versa). Decisions decisions mmmm....

Thanks for your input though :)

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #555 of 745
I see. the cost of igalvanic + idefender + ipower is almost similar to iusb 3.0.

Which is why Im contemplating on just getting the igalvanic for now, then grab iusb 3.0 (or vice versa). Decisions decisions mmmm....

Thanks for your input though :)
I got the bundle then which costed the same as a single igalvanic. Your plan of igalvanic and the + iUSB may work nicely if costly in the end. How about working on improving the computer source or OS for music playback, which I find may be most important. (sorry I don't know your source, so not sure if it can be improved) Crappy source is not going to help despite many gadgets downstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back