iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Feb 15, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #1,756 of 2,172
I just tried firmware 7.2c wanting to test the micro idsd signature on the PS5. Update seemed to be okay, but the PS5 doesn't recognize the idsd.
With my macbook I couldn't check if the update was successful. at least the .dmg file didn't have any interface showing the current firmware. I guess this is a mac thing or is there another program for checking the firmware?

And why is there no 7.2b available for download for me? would have given it a try aswell. and the firmware named only "Firmware XMOS" from october 19th, 2021 is only a bin file i cannot get started. What is the deal here?

If Go blue works fine with PS5.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,757 of 2,172
I just tried firmware 7.2c wanting to test the micro idsd signature on the PS5. Update seemed to be okay, but the PS5 doesn't recognize the idsd.
With my macbook I couldn't check if the update was successful. at least the .dmg file didn't have any interface showing the current firmware. I guess this is a mac thing or is there another program for checking the firmware?

And why is there no 7.2b available for download for me? would have given it a try aswell. and the firmware named only "Firmware XMOS" from october 19th, 2021 is only a bin file i cannot get started. What is the deal here?

If Go blue works fine with PS5.
It is possible to check the fw with a Mac, connect the iFi to the Mac and turn it on, go to "About this Mac" -> "System Report". Under "Hardware" look for "USB", then search the iFi in the USB tree and click on it.
It should read "7.2c" under Version. My iDSD with FW 7.2c works flawlessly with my PS5.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-18 um 19.28.04.png

Feb 18, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,758 of 2,172
It is possible to check the fw with a Mac, connect the iFi to the Mac and turn it on, go to "About this Mac" -> "System Report". Under "Hardware" look for "USB", then search the iFi in the USB tree and click on it.
It should read "7.2c" under Version. My iDSD with FW 7.2c works flawlessly with my PS5.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-18 um 19.28.04.png
That was very helpful. Thanks a lot. I reinstalled 5.2 gut will retry with 7.2c and ps5

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #1,759 of 2,172
Hello, i have question regarding firmware, i just use signature for a week, and i want to upgrade the firmware from 5.3, i tried to upgrade to 7.2c but after succesful why firmware version seems lower and set to v4.02 instead of 7.2c (see the pict), is that normal or do i miss something or the file from the server is wrong

I tried other firmware, but in the status it seemed the version is right, only 7.2c that has problem like this
After trying to install 7.2c my signature is also at 4.02. As member kith86 I officially downloaded it from the ifi portal with my serial number. Was there a fix for this? The thread gives no solution and I am not under warranty.

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,761 of 2,172
I'm also having the same problem, I upgrade to 7.2C and it displays 4.02
It depends on what version of signature you have and which XMOS chip is in it. I had the same problem loading 7.2C and have an earlier edition which is sounds like you have and I have to use 5.3C (GTO filter) which is the same as 7.2C. The only reason they have the two versions is I believe it comes down to the XMOS chip they're using since they ran out of one version and had to switch to another. So 5.3C is the same as 7.2C

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #1,762 of 2,172
It depends on what version of signature you have and which XMOS chip is in it. I had the same problem loading 7.2C and have an earlier edition which is sounds like you have and I have to use 5.3C (GTO filter) which is the same as 7.2C. The only reason they have the two versions is I believe it comes down to the XMOS chip they're using since they ran out of one version and had to switch to another. So 5.3C is the same as 7.2C
So what is the latest version with the name Firmware Xmos what is it? Compared to the 5.3C? Does it not have a GTO filter?

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,763 of 2,172
The latest version for the earlier editions with the original XMOS chip before they switched it is the 5.3C and that's the GTO filter. The 7.2C is the exact same firmware but specifically designed for the newer XMOS chip. It's the same GTO filter. The naming of the firmwares are messing everything up for people. Attached are the notes from both firmware. They're the same.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.18.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.18.13 PM.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.18.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 4.18.21 PM.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 16, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #1,764 of 2,172
After trying to install 7.2c my signature is also at 4.02. As member kith86 I officially downloaded it from the ifi portal with my serial number. Was there a fix for this? The thread gives no solution and I am not under warranty.
I just gave up and accept what it is, just tired, the support ticket last reply is basically in the last email, they just suggest me to do ( disconnect the iDSD ) either try uninstalling the drivers ( restart your PC ) install the driver again or the older driver version 3.2 , restart your PC, reconnect the iDSD and try again to see if that fixes the issue or maybe take your iDSD to another PC and try the process again from the fresh PC. (basically another same thing as before)... anyway it's not solved but i decide to gave up since im lazy to follow up this and this not kindda big problem, just interface problem.

@mblain So that's its then, ijust wondering why the technical support didnot tell me this instead of another pointless suggestion, but im glad i know this.

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #1,765 of 2,172
@kith86 Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't ask for what serial number you have to make sure you had the proper firmware to install on your unit. From what you've mentioned it seems like tech support was thinking you had a connection issues with the windows drivers. I know they've previously mentioned the differences between the various firmware version. At one point they even had a 7.1 version that was the same as 5.2 but for the new XMOS.

Since it sounds like you have one of the original Signature units with the original XMOS chips like myself. Try either the 5.3c (GTO filter) or the 5.2 firmware. Some find the 5.2 firmware a little more natural and organic sounding. It also allows you to use the filter setting options on the side of the unit whereas the 5.3C with the GTO filter is basically the same no matter what filter setting you have the toggle in.

What I can say, is there's no difference between the 7.2C and 5.3C so you're not missing out on anything. The only caveat I might add is the new XMOS chipset with 7.2C might allow you to use it with a Playstation more seamlessly than the older chipset. I don't have a playstation to test this myself. If you don't care about that then don't worry and enjoy the different firmware options to see which sound you like best.

I hope this helps.

Mar 17, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,766 of 2,172
@kith86 Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't ask for what serial number you have to make sure you had the proper firmware to install on your unit. From what you've mentioned it seems like tech support was thinking you had a connection issues with the windows drivers. I know they've previously mentioned the differences between the various firmware version. At one point they even had a 7.1 version that was the same as 5.2 but for the new XMOS.

Since it sounds like you have one of the original Signature units with the original XMOS chips like myself. Try either the 5.3c (GTO filter) or the 5.2 firmware. Some find the 5.2 firmware a little more natural and organic sounding. It also allows you to use the filter setting options on the side of the unit whereas the 5.3C with the GTO filter is basically the same no matter what filter setting you have the toggle in.

What I can say, is there's no difference between the 7.2C and 5.3C so you're not missing out on anything. The only caveat I might add is the new XMOS chipset with 7.2C might allow you to use it with a Playstation more seamlessly than the older chipset. I don't have a playstation to test this myself. If you don't care about that then don't worry and enjoy the different firmware options to see which sound you like best.

I hope this helps.
My Signature was only purchased 1 week ago, should I have the correct new Chip? Still I can't install 7.2C
I stayed for 5.2C, because there is no way to get it, I've tried on another PC but the result is the same

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,767 of 2,172
That's not always necessarily the case - I would refer to the serial number to double-check which firmware you should download.

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,768 of 2,172
I have downsized my desktop setup from the iCan Pro/iDSD Pro combination to just the iDSD Signature and donated the Pro stack to my spouse. The iCan/iDSD Pro combo was taking up too much room and generating too much heat in my home office. The iDSD Signature runs cool and is perfectly sized for a smaller desk.

I have a good main headphone rig for when I have time to relax in my recliner, but I don’t really use headphones while I’m working at home. I use the iDSD Signature to play music from my Mac Mini to a pair of powered Peachtree speakers. The DAC and amplification are really solid for such a compact device.

When I start commuting back to in-person work next month, I’ll probably take the iDSD Signature and a pair of HD6XX headphones with me to listen to music in my cubicle/office.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #1,769 of 2,172
I have downsized my desktop setup from the iCan Pro/iDSD Pro combination to just the iDSD Signature and donated the Pro stack to my spouse. The iCan/iDSD Pro combo was taking up too much room and generating too much heat in my home office. The iDSD Signature runs cool and is perfectly sized for a smaller desk.

I have a good main headphone rig for when I have time to relax in my recliner, but I don’t really use headphones while I’m working at home. I use the iDSD Signature to play music from my Mac Mini to a pair of powered Peachtree speakers. The DAC and amplification are really solid for such a compact device.

When I start commuting back to in-person work next month, I’ll probably take the iDSD Signature and a pair of HD6XX headphones with me to listen to music in my cubicle/office.

What a nice spouse you are! The Pro stack is perfect for being in a cold state like I am haha.

Yes, glad you are planning on taking it to the office too.

This is really a perfect example of its intended use case!

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,770 of 2,172
Hi guys,

I just bought iDSD Signature 2 days ago with gaming on PlayStation 5 purpose. I upgraded the firmware to 7.2c yesterday and my PS5 has not seeing the iDSD through USB. I know I can connect it via toslink, but I want the USB connection because of Sony’s 3D audio effect.

I have read on this topic that there is two version of the Signature - newer and older. The older one might have some problems with connection via USB to PS5. Is that so?

Also, when I enter to iFi's download centre and enter my iDSD's SN (2014000121), only 7.2c and few 5.x firmware is available to download. Is that mean that I have the older version of iDSD and connection via USB to my PS5 is not possible?

Another question - from which serial number new version of iDSD Signature start?

I have wrote to iFi's Customer Service but the guy who answered me (his name is Nick) said that I should instal 5.3 firmware. But the firmware is older than the iDSD Signature and PlayStation 5 itselves!

BTW: Signature sounds very satisfying with Grado GS1000i :)

Appreciate if somebody would be so kind to answer my 3 questions :wink:

Best regards

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back