iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
May 12, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,786 of 2,172
I heard my newly acquired signature today paired with my LCD-5 and my mind is completely blown--or let me say that it is still blowing as I speak because I simply don't want to stop listening to it. It is, hands down, the best dongle I've heard (if "dongle" is the right name for such a monster), and I have been particularly impressed to find out that the XBass and 3D features--far from sounding like some toy-like gimmicky tricks--actually bring some serious enhancements to the table. The Signature already sounds fantastic, but the XBass and 3D features add great depth, some spectacular low-end resonances, not to mention some kick-a**, wide-a** and deep-a** holography to the already impressively grand sound-field of this unit.

As you can very easily tell, I am also in the "new toy syndrome" phase of my journey with this baby, which also happens to be the first iFi i-anything I have that I am actually using, so I am going to try to resist letting myself get carried away with my eulogies, and come back and give my real first sonic impressions when my ears are more familiar with it, and I'm also sober enough to trust my own judgement fully...

For now, could anyone tell me what firmware I have, and which one I need to get? The unit was unboxed today, fresh out of the store (Adorama), the present firmware is default factory version that ships with the unit. Also where do I get the firmware update, and I hope they have easy-to-follow instructions for installing it.

Thanks in advance, and did I say I am very pleased with my Signature?

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,787 of 2,172
They somehow took an already great unit and made the sound a bit more refined and polished. I've tried more expensive and elaborate sources, but nothing beats the quality/value ratio of these.

May 13, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #1,788 of 2,172
They somehow took an already great unit and made the sound a bit more refined and polished. I've tried more expensive and elaborate sources, but nothing beats the quality/value ratio of these.
Yup, I wish they had continued the micro iDSD series. I don't know about the Diablo but I'm not a fan of iFi's newer sound signature on the Gryphon. The Signature is my fav portable DAC, just enough warmth to sound natural and without sounding too smooth.

May 15, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,790 of 2,172
has anyone tried xduoo 05 bl on Ifi Signature to make it bluetooth capable?
I tried the 05BL Pro module with Mojo (OG) & Topping BC3 with micro iDSD Signature using an optical cable in both scenarios, it worked without any issues and did make them bluetooth capable.

Personally, I liked the setup for Movies & Youtube but not for music (Loss in extension & quality of sound) but YMMV. Hopefully, Aptx Lossless or some other codec in the future will fix the above issue.

May 15, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #1,791 of 2,172
I tried the 05BL Pro module with Mojo (OG) & Topping BC3 with micro iDSD Signature using an optical cable in both scenarios, it worked without any issues and did make them bluetooth capable.

Personally, I liked the setup for Movies & Youtube but not for music (Loss in extension & quality of sound) but YMMV. Hopefully, Aptx Lossless or some other codec in the future will fix the above issue.
Wondering if you were using the LDAC Bluetooth codec? Supposed to have minimal loss in definition.

May 16, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #1,793 of 2,172
On the subject on analogue-volume pot channel imbalance.

Did some testing today and on my unit the channel imbalance seems to go away around 11 o’clock.

Was reading some reviews mentioning that imbalance normally goes away around 10 o’clock or even 9:30 o’clock.

Wanted to ask whether my experience is normal, and if anyone else’s unit is similar to mine? @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu

Still experiencing some imbalance on the below photo of volume pot position, for reference. Left channel is louder until after 11 o’clock.
1652745928098.jpeg

May 17, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #1,794 of 2,172

Did some testing today and on my unit the channel imbalance seems to go away around 11 o’clock.

Was reading some reviews mentioning that imbalance normally goes away around 10 o’clock or even 9:30 o’clock.

Wanted to ask whether my experience is normal, and if anyone else’s unit is similar to mine? @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu

Still experiencing some imbalance on the below photo of volume pot position, for reference. Left channel is louder until after 11 o’clock.
1652745928098.jpeg
I try to listen around 12 by cooperating gain, and sensitivity and source volume per iem/hp.

May 17, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #1,795 of 2,172

1652745928098.jpeg
My unit (which is one of the earlier ones using 5.2 firmware) passes channel imbalance somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock too. I don't think it's a fault/problem.
I try to listen around 12 by cooperating gain, and sensitivity and source volume per iem/hp.
This is what I do too based on good advice I was given.

1. Set the volume knob to 12.
2. adjust the gain setting to the level that brings the sound closest to your preferred listening level.
3. If still too loud on eco mode, add IE match to the level needed.
4. Use the volume knob again for final tweaks keeping it between 11 and 1.

May 17, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,797 of 2,172
Thank you all. Looks like all is normal with my unit then, if channel imbalance sticks around until around 11 o’clock, and then goes away.

Good advice on the matching Gain and IE Match settings.

If given a choice, which would it be better to go with — ECO gain with IE Match Off vs. Normal gain with IE Match High.

These two modes seem to give a similar volume range on one of my headphones … but I am hesitating to drop down to “Eco” since it feels (psychoacoustics?) like Normal gain is more dynamic.

At the same time not sure if IE Match is meant to be used if there is an option to drop gain level.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Which gain / IE Match settings do you use for your headphones?

I will start —
HD600: Normal gain, IE Match High
HE1000: Normal gain, no IE Match
Focal Stellia: trying to decide… either ECO with IE Match High (volume range goes to 3PM) or ECO with no IE Match (volume range goes to 1PM) or Normal gain IE Match High (volume range goes to 1PM).

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #1,798 of 2,172
Thank you all. Looks like all is normal with my unit then, if channel imbalance sticks around until around 11 o’clock, and then goes away.

Good advice on the matching Gain and IE Match settings.

If given a choice, which would it be better to go with — ECO gain with IE Match Off vs. Normal gain with IE Match High.

These two modes seem to give a similar volume range on one of my headphones … but I am hesitating to drop down to “Eco” since it feels (psychoacoustics?) like Normal gain is more dynamic.

At the same time not sure if IE Match is meant to be used if there is an option to drop gain level.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Which gain / IE Match settings do you use for your headphones?

I will start —
HD600: Normal gain, IE Match High
HE1000: Normal gain, no IE Match
Focal Stellia: trying to decide… either ECO with IE Match High (volume range goes to 3PM) or ECO with no IE Match (volume range goes to 1PM) or Normal gain IE Match High (volume range goes to 1PM).
Pretty subjective I guess. If you feel Normal gain is more dynamic maybe that's the setting for you. But technically speaking raising gain raises noise floor so if the volume is too high on Normal at 11, I personally would lean towards using it on Eco without IE match.

None of my headphones are sensitive enough to require me to use IE match

- T60 Argons (high gain, 11:30)
- Hifiman Arya V2 (high gain, 11).
- Grado Hemp with Dekoni pads (Eco, 12)
- Sundara (Normal, 12.30)

You've reminded me that I've not used my HD 600 with my Signature, or it's been so long I've forgotten. I should give it a go.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #1,799 of 2,172
Pretty subjective I guess. If you feel Normal gain is more dynamic maybe that's the setting for you. But technically speaking raising gain raises noise floor so if the volume is too high on Normal at 11, I personally would lean towards using it on Eco without IE match.

None of my headphones are sensitive enough to require me to use IE match

- T60 Argons (high gain, 11:30)
- Hifiman Arya V2 (high gain, 11).
- Grado Hemp with Dekoni pads (Eco, 12)
- Sundara (Normal, 12.30)

You've reminded me that I've not used my HD 600 with my Signature, or it's been so long I've forgotten. I should give it a go.
How is it with the hd600? :)

Jun 1, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,800 of 2,172
How is it with the hd600? :)
Thanks for the reminder. I've been giving it a go this afternoon.

I think I get why people say the HD600 is one of the best headphones for listening to your source. They of course have their own character but they react a lot to what they are receiving from the Signature, (more than my T60 Argons, for example). They are very revealing. I'm hearing cracks and pops in recording that I'd never heard before.

I'm probably going to try the Ollo S4X on the signature after the HD600 given that they are supposed to be even flatter/more transparent.

With all of the Signature toys (xBass + 3D) switched off, I really feel like I'm listening straight to the warmth of the Burr Brown DAC across the spectrum. Sub-bass is lacking from the HD600 and I'm finding treble to be present but nicely tamed. Mids sound full, perhaps "veiled", compared to other brighter headphones I listen to but I don't see that as a bad thing. It makes for a very comfortable listening experience whilst still bringing out enough detail. The imaging is excellent. Soundstage is quite narrow, but I can hear clearly where all the sounds are coming from within the stage.

The 3D button loses the "veil" but also loses the accuracy of imaging. Suddenly sounds come from everywhere and it's harder to point point them out. Very enjoyable for some tracks. In most cases on the HD600 if I use 3D I'll most likely also use xBass with it. Other more bassy headphones are fine with just 3D.

XBass is quite trippy. Sometimes I turn it on and don't notice it's on, but then when I turn it off I immediately notice the lack and want it back. Great trick. It really compliments the HD600 on most songs but on the odd occasion it can bleed slightly into the mids.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back