iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Jul 26, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,531 of 2,172
I just got my Signature and am loving the sound so far but am also so confused about the firmware updates from reading this thread.

I've checked the firmware download page and it says I can get 5.2. Why is 7.x not available to me?

It's a very odd system
The 5.x and 7.x firmware versions are for different hardware variants; the Xmos chip was changed starting from serial number 2014001021. I only know this because I sifted through this whole thread to try and understand the firmware :)
Hopefully ifi will provide more info on the different versions and what they do and add that info to their website, where it belongs.

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #1,532 of 2,172
I just got my Signature and am loving the sound so far but am also so confused about the firmware updates from reading this thread.

I've checked the firmware download page and it says I can get 5.2. Why is 7.x not available to me?

It's a very odd system
Had the same issue. After some research I found out that there were 2 hardware generation:
Old hardware uses 5.2
New hardware uses 7.x
Firmware is the same

Good news for you: the old hardware is better (what I read), but as I understood just small difference

Jul 27, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #1,533 of 2,172
The 5.x and 7.x firmware versions are for different hardware variants; the Xmos chip was changed starting from serial number 2014001021. I only know this because I sifted through this whole thread to try and understand the firmware :)
Hopefully ifi will provide more info on the different versions and what they do and add that info to their website, where it belongs.

Had the same issue. After some research I found out that there were 2 hardware generation:
Old hardware uses 5.2
New hardware uses 7.x
Firmware is the same

Good news for you: the old hardware is better (what I read), but as I understood just small difference
Thanks! All clear now (and I'm feeling good about having the old hardware too😁).

I noticed the posts about adding Bluetooth LDAC via the Topping BC3 through Optical. For anyone interested, I've been adding LDAC via the USB digital input using a shanling Q1 or Hiby R2 (it can also be done with a shanling M0 but I've not tries that). They can all receive LDAC from your phone and output digital audio via USB-C. But you need to buy the ifi OTG USB-C cable (https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/).

The topping is a cheaper setup overall (about half the price), but the shanling q1/hiby r2 options offer more ways to detach your phone (LDAC, or use them as a DAP connected to mobile hotspot if have enough data - they can both stream Tidal and Qobuz). Presumably by going via USB the PCM rate wouldn't be limited as it is via the SPDIF, but please do not quote me on that as I'm really not sure - file type/sampling rate talk goes way above my audiophile pay grade (what's a DSD anyway?).

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,534 of 2,172
Thanks! All clear now (and I'm feeling good about having the old hardware too😁).

I noticed the posts about adding Bluetooth LDAC via the Topping BC3 through Optical. For anyone interested, I've been adding LDAC via the USB digital input using a shanling Q1 or Hiby R2 (it can also be done with a shanling M0 but I've not tries that). They can all receive LDAC from your phone and output digital audio via USB-C. But you need to buy the ifi OTG USB-C cable (https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/).

The topping is a cheaper setup overall (about half the price), but the shanling q1/hiby r2 options offer more ways to detach your phone (LDAC, or use them as a DAP connected to mobile hotspot if have enough data - they can both stream Tidal and Qobuz). Presumably by going via USB the PCM rate wouldn't be limited as it is via the SPDIF, but please do not quote me on that as I'm really not sure - file type/sampling rate talk goes way above my audiophile pay grade (what's a DSD anyway?).
How does the setup sound to you? I expect there's a slight reduction in overall SQ (compared to wired).

I'm probably going to order BC3 tomorrow, I was looking for a bluetooth DAC anyway and since the UP5 isn't available here yet, might as well give this one a try.

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,535 of 2,172
How does the setup sound to you? I expect there's a slight reduction in overall SQ (compared to wired).

I'm probably going to order BC3 tomorrow, I was looking for a bluetooth DAC anyway and since the UP5 isn't available here yet, might as well give this one a try.
Tbh I've not done an A/B comparison. I've not felt the need to because it sounds great. I've only just got the Hiby and so far it seems more stable than the shanling. If you switch from audio streaming to YouTube or other video, sometimes everything turns to white noise but I've not had that with the Hiby. But if you stick to just audio, both are fine. There is also a big lag between audio and video with this set up. Would be interesting to see if the same happens with the Topping

In the interests of science, I'll A/B the Bluetooth set up with wired to see if there are any notable quality differences. In return would let me know how the topping set up handles movies/YT?

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,536 of 2,172
Tbh I've not done an A/B comparison. I've not felt the need to because it sounds great. I've only just got the Hiby and so far it seems more stable than the shanling. If you switch from audio streaming to YouTube or other video, sometimes everything turns to white noise but I've not had that with the Hiby. But if you stick to just audio, both are fine. There is also a big lag between audio and video with this set up. Would be interesting to see if the same happens with the Topping

In the interests of science, I'll A/B the Bluetooth set up with wired to see if there are any notable quality differences. In return would let me know how the topping set up handles movies/YT?
The estimated date of delivery is 5th. will see how the latency is and share it here.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #1,538 of 2,172
Thanks - That helped.

The Xbass and 3D features are interesting, but unfortunately don't really suit any of my headphones, so I'd like to suggest a future product with parametric equalisation built in - Perhaps it could be called 'iDSP' - Instead of Xbass and 3D switches there could be switches to select different EQ profiles. The difference being that the EQ profiles could be freely configured by the user, instead if fixed like Xbass and 3D.

You're describing the RME ADI-2. I have one arriving next week hopefully so will be comparing it directly to the Zen Dac/Can stack and iDSD Signature. I like the idea of the 5 band EQ of the ADI-2 but whether I will actually bother to use it is another question. I'll post my thoughts.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,539 of 2,172
You're describing the RME ADI-2. I have one arriving next week hopefully so will be comparing it directly to the Zen Dac/Can stack and iDSD Signature. I like the idea of the 5 band EQ of the ADI-2 but whether I will actually bother to use it is another question. I'll post my thoughts.
Please give us your opinion comparing the 3 devices. Would really appreciate :wink:

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,540 of 2,172
I've got Zen Stack interconnected with the iFi 4.4 Cable and the iDSD Signature too. My impressions are similar to @vonspanky. Zen stack is warmer and smoother while the signature is a bit more neutralish, not neutral like Topping DACs but more like a iFi house sound neutral, if that makes sense. Signature does not have the same level of smoothness in the upper region as the Zen and has more energy there without harshness, so micro details are a bit easier to hear with the Signatute. Signature is also more resolving in complex passages and instrument seperation and placement is better. With the Zen stack I have a small amount of hiss with IEM's which is not noticeable with the Signature (even with IEMatch Off).

like @24bit Garbage said, the difference is not huge but easily noticeable and for me worth the upgrade, wish bluetooth input was available though.
So Signature is better than Zen Stack, right?
I'm in between choosing Zen stack or Signature for desktop use, and I plan to use it with headphone like Ananda or Arya (haven't decided yet). What do you think?

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #1,541 of 2,172
So Signature is better than Zen Stack, right?
I'm in between choosing Zen stack or Signature for desktop use, and I plan to use it with headphone like Ananda or Arya (haven't decided yet). What do you think?
Signature is definately better, not double the cost better, but there definately is an improvement. Personally with the HiFiMan's, I'd go with the Signature cause I noticed that it drives my Sundara and my friend's Ananda with just a bit more authority. I used to always use the xBass on the Zen CAN with Sundara but now don't feel the need to as much with my Signature.

If you wanna use Signature for desktop use there is one thing that's annoying (at least for me) and that's a lack of Pre-Amp functinality. Another annoying thing would be the channel imbalance issues, for me it takes the volume pot at 11 O' Clock position to get a good balance.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,542 of 2,172
What happens when you do a firmware update from perhaps.
7.0c to 7.2b.
The previous update upholds ? or just gets overwritten, Is there a way to check the log of the previous firmware installed for the device?

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #1,544 of 2,172
What happens when you do a firmware update from perhaps.
7.0c to 7.2b.
The previous update upholds ? or just gets overwritten, Is there a way to check the log of the previous firmware installed for the device?
No problem. You can upgrade back and forth. The existing will be completely replaced by the new one. Of note, when there is error message, just turn off the signature then on again before continuing. There you go.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #1,545 of 2,172
No problem. You can upgrade back and forth. The existing will be completely replaced by the new one. Of note, when there is error message, just turn off the signature then on again before continuing. There you go.
Thanks ! just tried it out, Nice to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back