iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Oct 9, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #46 of 2,172
I'm curious why there are no separate power output (and other) specs for the balanced and SE outputs?

Do they both have the same power output levels and specs?

If so, does that mean that the 4.4mm balanced output is a 'convenience' output jack (to simply allow the use of a cable with a 4.4mm connector) that doesn't offer any increase in power output or reduction in noise levels compared to the SE output?

Thanks.

- Edit - I appears that the iDSD Signature's 4.4mm output uses iFi Audio's S-Balanced feature which allows the amp's balanced output to have 50% less crosstalk than the amps unbalanced output, but it doesn't offer any gain in power output or reduction in noise level, like a conventional balanced output circuit would.

For a more techincal description, click on the link in the following post.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #47 of 2,172
Finally!!!! Balanced 4.4mm

1+ for this question too

I'm curious why there are no separate power output (and other) specs for the balanced and SE outputs?

Do they both have the same power output levels and specs?

If so, does that mean that the 4.4mm balanced output is a 'convenience' output jack (to simply allow the use of a cable with a 4.4mm connector) that doesn't offer any increase in power output or reduction in noise levels compared to the SE output?

Thanks.

Never mind, I saw this link
https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/iFi-audio-xCAN-S_BAL-Tech-Note.pdf

This means it has dedicated grounds toward the same ground to each buffering stage per channel. IFi claimed that it still reduced crosstalk to as much as 50%

I can attest to this being the case, not with IFi products but rather Walkman 3.5 TRRS. It does actually improve the soundstage and separations (improved crosstalk)

Some people do actually prefer this over the true balanced with inverted phase design as IFI claimed. The biggest advantage of true balanced out is to cheat a little and doubled up the driving factor. Since the IDSD can already go as much as 4100mW, it is powerful enough without that Cheat. It is still Single Ended though

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #48 of 2,172
I heard this Micro iDSD Signature is available only limited number?

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #50 of 2,172
Like in the first post?

“Only a limited number will be made, so those wishing to get hold of the Signature edition of iFi’s landmark transportable DAC/headphone amp should act fast to avoid disappointment.”
Dang i need to get some sleep btw thanks for pointing that out

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #51 of 2,172
One thing I can see, Diablo has a 4.4mm pentaconn instead of RCA. Is that input or for balanced output, only time will tell. My only question is, @iFi audio if or when Diablo comes out, will that be a below or above iDSD?

Oct 9, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #52 of 2,172
This month, I bought several HD6XX for gifts given the smoking great deal on Drop. I almost bought the iFi product to go with it since it seemed to be purposefully equalized for these headphones, but I couldn't figure out what product did what. The names are so complicated and conflicting that I literally don't know which product is the DAC vs which is the AMP. So, I ended up buying the Fiio BTR5 because it was so easy to understand what it did.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #53 of 2,172
I am a little confused can we still use 3.5mm into idsd? And then use the 4 4mm output?

How much sense would that make if I use my sony dap via 3.5mm to idsd then use the 4.4mm output.

Would it be simpler more advantageous if I could use my sony 4.4 output into idsd

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #55 of 2,172
Like in the first post?

“Only a limited number will be made, so those wishing to get hold of the Signature edition of iFi’s landmark transportable DAC/headphone amp should act fast to avoid disappointment.”

I think this is just marketing speak. The iDSD Signature is not limited to my knowledge. Why would iFi go to all that trouble to redo the circuit board, case, options, etc. if they weren't going to continue making it in larger numbers? Then it will be "Back by popular demand". Perhaps this is just a last minor refresh before the BIG ONE.... with advanced WIFI, etc. Perhaps they're only going to make so many "Signature" editions because they have a huge inventory of iDSD BL's to get rid of before the MAJOR refresh coming in a year or two?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #56 of 2,172
I think this is just marketing speak. The Zen Signature is not limited to my knowledge. Why would iFi go to all that trouble to redo the circuit board, case, options, etc. if they weren't going to continue making it in larger numbers? Then it will be "Back by popular demand". Perhaps this is just a last minor refresh before the BIG ONE.... with advanced WIFI, etc. Perhaps they're only going to make so many "Signature" editions because they have a huge inventory of iDSD BL's to get rid of before the MAJOR refresh coming in a year or two?
3 words: iFi iDSD Diablo

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #57 of 2,172
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #58 of 2,172
I really don't like when company says limited edition and don't give the number of Unit they are planning to make or market they are going to release to. We never know if it is some marketing gimmick or what.
I really appreciate Sennheiser for it. When they launched HD800SA they upfront told that they would make some 850 or 750 Unit of it to mark 75th anniversary which makes sense but making this Unit which was supposed to be incremental upgrade of BL as special edition is beyond my comprehension.

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #59 of 2,172
I remember Japanese Venturecraft - they had a limited production of some their products. I was a happy owner of Vantam Classic Master Limited #131
23915546_2060688090831166_8160755335167431603_n_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back