iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,981 of 2,194
I received the ifi otg cable but didn't help
I'm not sure it it's worth to buy the UGREEN
There is an issue between the latest Android version and OTG...
I don't know how to fix this.
I just watched an YouTube video, paused the video for some reason and when I started again, sound was gone ( in the headphones)

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #1,982 of 2,194
I just watched an YouTube video, paused the video for some reason and when I started again, sound was gone ( in the headphones)

You may well be correct, if the issue is a general incompatibility the different cable is unlikely to change anything.

I popped a response to your question about the Gryphon volume control on the “Computer Audio” forum.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #1,986 of 2,194

I don't want to make you spend money in vain, but I'd be very curious to know if this docking solution solves your problem as it solved mine:

https://amzn.eu/d/1atSRcS

(at least you'll be left with a docking device in hand)

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,989 of 2,194
I tried to understand why this issue happens only when I watch online videos
Tested Aimp, many many hours, no problem
I watched some movies ( from the mobile phone, not online) without any problems
There is an issue between the online content, OTG, Android and Signature
Hard, almost impossible for the developers, to fix this

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,991 of 2,194
I did order the UGREEN
Let's see....
Guys, very off topic question, I'm a bit confused
Tried again with the Google pixel 2 xl, older mobile phone and Android version, and with another Sony Xperia XA1, older as well
Tested it with Denon D9200 +Signature
The sound quality is so poor. Don't understand why
Is that because of the older Android version or the older hardware mobile phones?? USB-C drivers
..??No OTG vs with OTG??
I thought, the Signature is doing the hard job, not the mobile phone.
I'm just curious why...
Maybe someone here has an explanation
Thank you

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,992 of 2,194
Just did another test, for about one hour with Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus
Android 12, OneUI 4.0
Not a single issue.
Android 13 is the culprit. Not the cables, not Signature.
With Android 13, they added the headphones icon when headphones are connected and the volum button is used
Android 12, classic, without the headphones icon
I wonder what exactly could be done about this
There must be a way to fix it
I've read some stuff here
https://www.google.de/amp/s/blog.esper.io/android-13-deep-dive/amp/
Scrolling down to

Accessibility audio description​

I'll keep searching. Now I'm almost pretty sure I know what is causing the issue.
It's the latest Android version

Attachments

• headphones icon .jpg
    headphones icon .jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • no headphones icon .jpg
    no headphones icon .jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #1,993 of 2,194
Hello all, I’m newbie here,

I’m have been reading the whole thread, very interesting and helpful. I am a happy owner of a micro idsd Signature and just wanted to share my experience and ask some questions if someone is so kind to help me

My source is Tidal Hifi (not Master) played in a Samsung tablet, connected with the OTG cable provided by Ifi. I usually pair the signature with Ananda (in normal mode) and Focal Elegia (Eco mode), both without iEMatch, that I also try to avoid as some of you. For me the synergy with this HPs is simply awesome. I can’t add too much to what said here before about the good sound of the Signature. I like the body and weight it has; the soundstage and instrument separation are also very nice to me.

My channel imbalance ends at 10 – 10:30, so not a blocking problem since I normally stay at 11 or 11:30 in the knob. I haven’t experienced any pops between songs (just when switching-on the device). I think the xBass is very well implemented and use it normally, but I don’t use 3D too much. Regarding filters, I’m testing between Bit Perfect and Minimum Phase. To be honest I can hardly hear differences (may be the Minimum Phase presents sound “more in your face”), but I tend to go to Bit Perfect…

I have also tried the Signature as a DAC (RCA outputs) with my speaker system (NAD Amp and B&W speakers) and got a very good synergy and sound.

Here my questions if you are so kind:

• My unit came with firmware v1.5, although the Series num is relatively new (20140023xx). Does somebody know the equivalent for this? I mean, what does it support in terms of MQA, DSDxxx, or GTO filter? I have available 7.2b, 7.2c and 7.4 (all flavors), would you go to the last 7.4x? or better 7.2x? To be honest I’m happy with the sound, but I guess I should update to a newer version since v1.5 seems to be very old. The matter is that I don’t want to enter in troubles by myself (pops between songs and so on…)
  • When I switch-on the Signature, Tidal asks me to control the device. When I click “yes” the led goes “green” (it means PCM 44/48/88/96kHz) and if click “no” the led goes “yellow” (PCM 176/192/352/384kHz). Do you experience the same? Does anybody know why? I guess it has to do with oversampling and so on, but haven’t found too much info about this
  • I’m waiting for a ZMF VO (got in the last Feb shot). I have read here some guys have paired ZMF HPs with the Signature. Please share your experience, is it a good combo? In the future I plan to get a tube amp (something like Cayin HA-3A or Icon Audio HP8) and use the Signature as DAC, what’s your opinion?
Thanks in advance and enjoy the music!

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #1,994 of 2,194
Hello all, I’m newbie here,

I’m have been reading the whole thread, very interesting and helpful. I am a happy owner of a micro idsd Signature and just wanted to share my experience and ask some questions if someone is so kind to help me

My source is Tidal Hifi (not Master) played in a Samsung tablet, connected with the OTG cable provided by Ifi. I usually pair the signature with Ananda (in normal mode) and Focal Elegia (Eco mode), both without iEMatch, that I also try to avoid as some of you. For me the synergy with this HPs is simply awesome. I can’t add too much to what said here before about the good sound of the Signature. I like the body and weight it has; the soundstage and instrument separation are also very nice to me.

My channel imbalance ends at 10 – 10:30, so not a blocking problem since I normally stay at 11 or 11:30 in the knob. I haven’t experienced any pops between songs (just when switching-on the device). I think the xBass is very well implemented and use it normally, but I don’t use 3D too much. Regarding filters, I’m testing between Bit Perfect and Minimum Phase. To be honest I can hardly hear differences (may be the Minimum Phase presents sound “more in your face”), but I tend to go to Bit Perfect…

I have also tried the Signature as a DAC (RCA outputs) with my speaker system (NAD Amp and B&W speakers) and got a very good synergy and sound.

Here my questions if you are so kind:

• My unit came with firmware v1.5, although the Series num is relatively new (20140023xx). Does somebody know the equivalent for this? I mean, what does it support in terms of MQA, DSDxxx, or GTO filter? I have available 7.2b, 7.2c and 7.4 (all flavors), would you go to the last 7.4x? or better 7.2x? To be honest I’m happy with the sound, but I guess I should update to a newer version since v1.5 seems to be very old. The matter is that I don’t want to enter in troubles by myself (pops between songs and so on…)
  • When I switch-on the Signature, Tidal asks me to control the device. When I click “yes” the led goes “green” (it means PCM 44/48/88/96kHz) and if click “no” the led goes “yellow” (PCM 176/192/352/384kHz). Do you experience the same? Does anybody know why? I guess it has to do with oversampling and so on, but haven’t found too much info about this
  • I’m waiting for a ZMF VO (got in the last Feb shot). I have read here some guys have paired ZMF HPs with the Signature. Please share your experience, is it a good combo? In the future I plan to get a tube amp (something like Cayin HA-3A or Icon Audio HP8) and use the Signature as DAC, what’s your opinion?
Thanks in advance and enjoy the music!
I wouldn't mind trying the GTO Filter but because I'm not good with computers I am afraid to do the download just incase I mess it up. Lol

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #1,995 of 2,194
When I switch-on the Signature, Tidal asks me to control the device. When I click “yes” the led goes “green” (it means PCM 44/48/88/96kHz) and if click “no” the led goes “yellow” (PCM 176/192/352/384kHz). Do you experience the same? Does anybody know why? I guess it has to do with oversampling and so on, but haven’t found too much info about this

I use Tidal Master, and the only colors I get (with the Tidal app) are green or magenta.

With the UAPP app, playing DSD files, I get the colors cyan or blue.

I have noticed that the Tidal app often oversamples (doubles) the original rate of tracks over the USB output,

however, to have yellow, it would mean that the original track is 88.2 or 96Khz, and I don't know if Tidal streams flacs with that sample rate.

(If you want to be sure of the original sample rate of a given track, you should use alternative apps to Tidal, such as UAPP or MCONNECT or BubbleUPnP).

Having said that, I would advise you to update the firmware to a more recent version, in order to have more objective feedback and avoid any bugs that could compromise the color coding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back