iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #1,936 of 2,194
I agree it can be an issue with the cannel imbalance if not wanting to deal with IEMATCH (which I generally want to avoid).
Another design flaw imho is the positioning of the xbass and 3d levers as you need to have very tiny fingers or vampire nails to operate these without touching the volume wheel.
At the end of the day though the most important decision factor for me is the sound signature and synergy with my headphones (Denon AH-D9200 for bedtime listening)
And that's where both Diablo and IDSD Signature are hitting the sweet spot for me for all-in-one-devices (!= DAPs) <1k Eur including desktop gear like Topping DX5, SMSL500 III, Chord Mojo2 + Poly and Hifiman EF400.
The Meze Elites were a bit more flexible for the pair-up and for these alone I might have kept EF400 for its even smoother, dynamic and huge stage presentation but it's clearly a desktop device whereas you can carry IDSD everywhere.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,937 of 2,194
Regarding the plop sound it seems to be almost remediated using any 7.4 Firmware with the exception of playing the very first song which is being started with a medium loud plop.
If you are aware of that you will start wearing the headphones after that first plop and all is fine.
That's my current experience at least

Feb 17, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #1,938 of 2,194
My iFi Signature keeps disconnecting.I'm using it with the Denon D9200 on the mobile phone ( tried with 3 different mobile phones )
Am I doing something wrong ??
I use the Denon D9200 with an 6.3 mm adapter and the USB A from the Signature is connected with some USB C - USB A cable to the mobile phone .
With the Gryphon, I don't have this problem .
Could you please help me with this ?
I give an example how the issue looks like .
I'm listening to some music on YouTube.I stop the video, close and reopen YouTube and there is no more sound on the headphones.I need to unplug plug in, the USB C cable from the mobile phone or turn off and on from the volume button.
Any advices are welcome, thank you

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,939 of 2,194
My iFi Signature keeps disconnecting.I'm using it with the Denon D9200 on the mobile phone ( tried with 3 different mobile phones )
I use the Denon D9200 with an 6.3 mm adapter and the USB A from the Signature is connected with some USB C - USB A cable to the mobile phone .
I'm listening to some music on YouTube.I stop the video, close and reopen YouTube and there is no more sound on the headphones.I need to unplug plug in, the USB C cable from the mobile phone or turn off and on from the volume button.
Which firmware?
All Android phones?
Tried different usb cables?
Have you tried the same with some PC/Mac to isolate the issue better?
You can most likely exclude the headphone as it sounds more like a digital issue or problem with the USB connection (besides the fact that with the Denon without IEMatch you need to get over the volume knob zone of silence and channel imbalance)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #1,940 of 2,194
Are you using the same OTG cable with the Sig and the Gryphon?
I had a problem with my xDSD cutting out. Turned out to be the connection from the IFI OTG cable. Bought one for a few quid off Amazon and all was sorted. Worth a try.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,941 of 2,194
Are you using the same OTG cable with the Sig and the Gryphon?
I had a problem with my xDSD cutting out. Turned out to be the connection from the IFI OTG cable. Bought one for a few quid off Amazon and all was sorted. Worth a try.
No, for Gryphon I'm using a different USB C to USB C cable
For Signature, there was ( when I purchased the Signature ) a blue USB A female to USB A male cable and I purchased a small USB Otg to USB C cable, which is connected to the mobile phone.
I wish I could buy a longer cable, USB A female to USB C, without USB OTG to USB C.adapter,but I can't find something longer than 15-20 cm.
By the way, I'm using the default Denon 9200 cable, with the 3.5 mm jack + 6.3 mm adapter.
Is it worth to get a new 4.4 balanced cable ?
Does it help for the sound quality ?
Thank you

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #1,942 of 2,194
Which firmware?
All Android phones?
Tried different usb cables?
Have you tried the same with some PC/Mac to isolate the issue better?
You can most likely exclude the headphone as it sounds more like a digital issue or problem with the USB connection (besides the fact that with the Denon without IEMatch you need to get over the volume knob zone of silence and channel imbalance)
Yes, all Android phones .
I don't know how to update the firmware.
No, I don't try different cables.On PC ( Windows 10 ) didn't use the Signature, yet.

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,943 of 2,194
Yes, all Android phones . I don't know how to update the firmware. No, I don't try different cables.On PC ( Windows 10 ) didn't use the Signature, yet.
Yes, all Android phones . I don't know how to update the firmware. No, I don't try different cables.On PC ( Windows 10 ) didn't use the Signature, yet.
As mentioned I assume that It's a digital issue so I strongly suggest you to perform a firmware upgrade plus try a PC as an alternative source (which you will need anyway for the firmware update) to exclude issues with the device itself

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,944 of 2,194
No, for Gryphon I'm using a different USB C to USB C cable
For Signature, there was ( when I purchased the Signature ) a blue USB A female to USB A male cable and I purchased a small USB Otg to USB C cable, which is connected to the mobile phone.
I wish I could buy a longer cable, USB A female to USB C, without USB OTG to USB C.adapter,but I can't find something longer than 15-20 cm.
By the way, I'm using the default Denon 9200 cable, with the 3.5 mm jack + 6.3 mm adapter.
Is it worth to get a new 4.4 balanced cable ?
Does it help for the sound quality ?
Thank you
With the IFI idsd signature s-balanced design there shouldn’t be a performance difference between SE and balanced port as with other fully balanced amps such as Diablo.
What I did is using the stock usb-B adapter and use one of my many long desktop DAC USB cables if I wanted more length but there you will also need the additional OTG adapter at your phone side

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,945 of 2,194
I updated the latest firmware and I'll keep testing
Thank you, report back no matter what .
LE : I updated only the latest firmware version
Do I need to install all of them ?

Attachments

• Polish_20230218_154543321.jpg
    Polish_20230218_154543321.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,946 of 2,194
For the different subversions it’s a matter of use case and listening preference
Are you for example using Tidal Master subscription, then it’s a or c
If not then you can opt for b
There are many liking the permanent GTO filter on C no matter if playing Tidal masters or not.
It’s up to you

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,947 of 2,194
I'm not using Tidal Master subscription
I tested again, same issue. I'll try to describe exactly : watching some YouTube video.Pause the video, minimize the YouTube ( Vanced )open another app and then resume playing the YouTube video.Tried with the official YouTube app,as well.Same story.
The sound is gone, I hear everything on the Samsung mobile phone ( Z fold 4 ) not on the headphones.
Can't understand why this happens.
With the same headphones, same mobile phone, with Gryphon xdsd I don't have this problem.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #1,950 of 2,194
I'm 98 % sure, the OTG to USB C cable is the culprit.
If the new cable ( adapter ) I just ordered it has the same problem, then I guess my iFi Signature is faulty.
Hard to believe but it's possible
Thank you, I'll report back when I receive the adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back