iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,921 of 2,194
Got IDSD SIGNATURE today and have recognized pops and static every now and then playing Tidal MQA and also Apple Music hires lossless tracks with 7.4a firmware through IPhone, IPad directly and even Ifi Zen Stream over Roon or Tidal Connect.
7.4c seems to resolve it but sounds smoother, warmer, more veiled compared to 7.4a?
I've googled and found other references for the very same symtoms up to firmware 7.4 also on other devices like Ifi Zen DAC.
What are your experiences?
Which firmware are you using for the Signature?

Tonality / sound signature is a better match with my Denon AH-D9200 than Chord Mojo 2 for me as the latter one was too reveiling and fatigueing for my ears very often.
Lowest volume position in eco mode is still just above the channel imbalance zone (it's quite similar to Ifi Diablo in that regards), Roon volume leveling is remediating this issue though for me.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,922 of 2,194
Got IDSD SIGNATURE today and have recognized pops and static every now and then playing Tidal MQA and also Apple Music hires lossless tracks with 7.4a firmware through IPhone, IPad directly and even Ifi Zen Stream over Roon or Tidal Connect.
7.4c seems to resolve it but sounds smoother, warmer, more veiled compared to 7.4a?
I've googled and found other references for the very same symtoms up to firmware 7.4 also on other devices like Ifi Zen DAC.
What are your experiences?
Which firmware are you using for the Signature?

Tonality / sound signature is a better match with my Denon AH-D9200 than Chord Mojo 2 for me as the latter one was too reveiling and fatigueing for my ears very often.
Lowest volume position in eco mode is still just above the channel imbalance zone (it's quite similar to Ifi Diablo in that regards), Roon volume leveling is remediating this issue though for me.

I use 5.3C firmware because I have an old unit with the old XMOS chip.
I also complain about the problems you have, and I was able to eliminate them only by using a USB hub placed between the iPhone/Android (which acts as a player) and the SIGNATURE.
Or using SPDIF/Optical input.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,923 of 2,194
I use 5.3C firmware because I have an old unit with the old XMOS chip.
I also complain about the problems you have, and I was able to eliminate them only by using a USB hub placed between the iPhone/Android (which acts as a player) and the SIGNATURE.
Or using SPDIF/Optical input.
Some passive hub or even active?
Can you share which one you are using?
Honestly such a solution is really questioning the portable form factor.
Currently wondering if the same issues are known on the Diablo too.
Will now also test the included USB type B adapter rather than the standard blue adapter with my spare desktop DAC USB cables and see if that will make a difference

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,924 of 2,194
Some passive hub or even active?
Can you share which one you are using?
Honestly such a solution is really questioning the portable form factor.
Currently wondering if the same issues are known on the Diablo too.
Will now also test the included USB type B adapter rather than the standard blue adapter with my spare desktop DAC USB cables and see if that will make a difference

I have used this passive hub:

https://amzn.eu/d/0JObrcz
(and another (iTeknic) that I cannot find anymore on Amazon).

Your considerations about portability are right;
but I use signature exclusively on my sofa.

None of the tested (by me) cables have solved the problem.

Other than what already said,
I have never been able to get the DAC recognized by my Motorola Razr 5G + UAP Player.

I have solved again with mentioned usb hub.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #1,925 of 2,194
Now using the mentioned type USB type B adapter and a desktop DAC cable to my iPhone and so far no issues besides one cracking noise once playing Tidal the first time and afterwards no more.
Will watch how that continues...

Jan 18, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #1,926 of 2,194
the curious thing is that, right now, I'm testing TIDAL with any USB-A extension cable, and it works perfectly.
When I found the defect there was no way to solve it except by inserting the USB hub. Was the problem due to the TIDAL app (bug)?

The biggest disturbances were on the MASTER tracks.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #1,927 of 2,194
picture of my complex working setup

87DDB430-6CB8-481F-8FC7-F8AF10202774.jpeg

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,928 of 2,194
Most important it's working 😃
So far I am happy with the Signature.
Seems to hit the right balance between warm-smooth and engaging, punchy without sacrificing too much details, texture.
In comparison Mojo 2 was more detailed and resolving, less punchy, brighter and with the wrong synergy headphone too fatigueing for me.

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,929 of 2,194
I love the SIGNATURE too.
I have some ifi DAC, and I love them for their warm sound signature.
Probably they are not the most detailed and resolving machines on the market, but I look for my listening pleasure and don’t care too much about the pure fidelity.

I am curios about the mojo, but my fear is that I don't really like it for its high fidelity, even if I have to admit that the built-in EQ is a great feature.

Jan 18, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,930 of 2,194
Probably they are not the most detailed and resolving machines on the market, but I look for my listening pleasure and don’t care too much about the pure fidelity.

I am curios about the mojo, but my fear is that I don't really like it for its high fidelity, even if I have to admit that the built-in EQ is a great feature.
Well I thought the same, but if your taste is like mine for a smoother experience with some punch the stock Mojo 2 is not the way to go.
It's a fantastic formfactor though and I had high expectations with the Poly to have a small footprint Roon-ready all-rounder.
Wifi connection was weak though and limited to 2.4Ghz, had thereby network breakups.
The eq is nice if you are happy with pushing or decreasing the predefined frequencies but no different variants possible like e.g pushing 2khz or 5khz or not only peaks but having a high or low shelf with different Q factors as it's not part of the predefined configuration.
Anyway in the house I am using Roon which is far more versatile and can be used with any DAC 😃
Mojo 1 is told to be warmer and smoother but I haven't listened to it yet.
For bedside listening Idsd signature seems to be the right choice for me

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,931 of 2,194

Almost bought one, glad I didn’t. Amazing amp but to warmish for my taste. I am more in the gryphon and diablo signature. But that choice also depends on which headphone you are using.

Jan 19, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #1,932 of 2,194
Almost bought one a while back. Glad I didn't. Wasn't willing to be forced to work around the channel imbalance. I see that issue has come up AGAIN in this thread for another owner.
One day, iFi may decide to use a better potentiometer, even if it means going with a seperate on/off switch. Too expensive to have to deal with channel imbalance due to the potentiometer. Just MHO.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #1,934 of 2,194
Almost bought one a while back. Glad I didn't. Wasn't willing to be forced to work around the channel imbalance. I see that issue has come up AGAIN in this thread for another owner.
One day, iFi may decide to use a better potentiometer, even if it means going with a seperate on/off switch. Too expensive to have to deal with channel imbalance due to the potentiometer. Just MHO.
I agree.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #1,935 of 2,194
Since I don't use sensitive IEMs, the channel imbalance is a moot point, for me. I have used the Signature for portable use with my Meze Elites and Verite Closed and it has worked brilliantly with no issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back