iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
May 1, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #2,746 of 2,990
Hello, good evening / good day,

Currently I'm using Diablo's 4.4mm line out to XLR input to the drive the RNHP Amp. The SQ is so far so good. But the powerful line out means that I can only use the POT up to around 9 o'clock! As my headphones are mainly relatively high sensitivity ones (~30 to 70 ohms with sensitivities > 100 dB/V SPL). Since the XLR input level of the Amp is +22.8 dBu but the RCA input level is +14.7dBu, I'm thinking that if I use the RCA input instead of the XLR I may be able to use a fuller range of the POT! Then I end up with 2 options:

1) Use the Diablo 6.3 PO to connect to the Amp's RCA input. If done this way then what volume should I use on the Diablo? Like can to turn up the volume all the way up to close the max? Btw the iFi Diablo website states the following max phone output,
BAL
>19.2V/611 mW (@ 600 Ohm)
>12.6V/4,980 mW (@ 32 Ohm)
SE
>9.6V/153 mW (@ 600 Ohm)
>8.8V/2,417 mW (@ 32 Ohm)
So I should get max 8.8 V from the 6.3 PO, right? which is less than 12.6V from the 4.4! Btw, the website doesn't say anything on the 4.4 line out output level! and should I assume its equal to the max bal line out?

2) Alternatively is there such an interconnect that connects a 4.4 line out to a pair of RCA input, without damaging both the Amp and Diablo, and with no adverse effect on SQ?

Hope someone could enlighten me with advices and answers.

TIA ..

May 2, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #2,747 of 2,990
Hello, good evening / good day,

Currently I'm using Diablo's 4.4mm line out to XLR input to the drive the RNHP Amp. The SQ is so far so good. But the powerful line out means that I can only use the POT up to around 9 o'clock! As my headphones are mainly relatively high sensitivity ones (~30 to 70 ohms with sensitivities > 100 dB/V SPL). Since the XLR input level of the Amp is +22.8 dBu but the RCA input level is +14.7dBu, I'm thinking that if I use the RCA input instead of the XLR I may be able to use a fuller range of the POT! Then I end up with 2 options:

1) Use the Diablo 6.3 PO to connect to the Amp's RCA input. If done this way then what volume should I use on the Diablo? Like can to turn up the volume all the way up to close the max? Btw the iFi Diablo website states the following max phone output,
BAL
>19.2V/611 mW (@ 600 Ohm)
>12.6V/4,980 mW (@ 32 Ohm)
SE
>9.6V/153 mW (@ 600 Ohm)
>8.8V/2,417 mW (@ 32 Ohm)
So I should get max 8.8 V from the 6.3 PO, right? which is less than 12.6V from the 4.4! Btw, the website doesn't say anything on the 4.4 line out output level! and should I assume its equal to the max bal line out?

2) Alternatively is there such an interconnect that connects a 4.4 line out to a pair of RCA input, without damaging both the Amp and Diablo, and with no adverse effect on SQ?

Hope someone could enlighten me with advices and answers.

TIA ..

Go back to post 2710 on page 181 and read through the next series of relevant posts and photos.

Short answer is yes you can go 4.4mm to 2 x RCA from the Diablo and the very smart man that designed the diablo approved the use of such a set up, all you need is a straightforward 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable and a simple 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter.

If you had an application for it you can also use the 4.4mm line out as a LINE IN and with the appropriate adapters or custom cable you can also use a single ended DAC in to the Diablo.

Below is a picture of the cable I made from the ifI supplied 4.4mm to 2 x XLR cable but the adapters and commonly available 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable works exactly the same, the wiring configuration is identical.

Cable.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #2,748 of 2,990
Go back to post 2710 on page 181 and read through the next series of relevant posts and photos.

Short answer is yes you can go 4.4mm to 2 x RCA from the Diablo and the very smart man that designed the diablo approved the use of such a set up, all you need is a straightforward 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable and a simple 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter.

If you had an application for it you can also use the 4.4mm line out as a LINE IN and with the appropriate adapters or custom cable you can also use a single ended DAC in to the Diablo.

Below is a picture of the cable I made from the ifI supplied 4.4mm to 2 x XLR cable but the adapters and commonly available 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable works exactky the same, the wiring configuration is identical.

Cable.jpeg
Thanks ..

May 2, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #2,749 of 2,990
The Red Label (Diablo) is exactly what it always was. Nothing changed.

Within the limits I was under, I did the best I could. Sometimes a meal cooked by a chef using whatever is in the fridge is better than burgers flipped at MukGei (McDonald's in Cantonese).

My approach to audio has always been non-mainstream. The Red Label is the least "me" ifi product and the most "marketing futzies" product.

I suggest you compare by listening and pick what suits you.

Personally I keep a iDSD Black Label, Zen DAC/CAN signature and xDSD. Each has its niche.

Thor

Hi Thor,

Just curious... The new model, say Diablo X, will keep the LINE IN feature as Easter egg again? Thanks.

May 2, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #2,750 of 2,990
Just curious... The new model, say Diablo X, will keep the LINE IN feature as Easter egg again?

You need to ask iFi, I had nothing to do with them since 2019.

Thor

May 2, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #2,751 of 2,990
Hi Thor,

Just curious... The new model, say Diablo X, will keep the LINE IN feature as Easter egg again? Thanks.

I am a nobody but if I had to guess I would say they will disable it.

Despite that they said the line in was an "Easter Egg" waiting to be found I think that is nonsense, there are a number of earlier posts where people asked about a line in feature long ago and ifI reps here constantly denied that it could be done, many many months after the Diablo was released.

I saw a few photos on a FB group that showed the Diablo being used with a line in but I thought it was just staged for the pictures. I asked one guy who said it could be done but I was reluctant because I had no idea if it might damage a rather expensive toy. Later, when Thorsten reached out with a private message here about something else that I was having concerns about with my Diablo I took the opportunity to ask him about the line in which he of course confirmed and explained the wiring that was needed to utilise it for my application. I bought cables and adapters, tested it, of course it worked, I refined the cables and posted here about it.

It seems it isn't a feature that ifI was keen that anybody knew about and it only existed because Thorsten, in his own words, used at as an amplifier testing function during the development process and just left the feature in which eventually went into the production units. IfI did a slick little Instagram post about it but the feature remains conspicuously absent from there own latest on line instruction manual for the Diablo.

Hey, that is the concern of ifI and they make their own decisions for their own reasons and if they ditch it from the next Diablo iteration so be it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #2,752 of 2,990
iFi stupidity beggars belief.

I asked the reps here at the launch as to why the line in was not included compared to the black label Micro (I bought 2 BL Micro since I like it so much and one is still sealed)

The rep fobbed me off as "cant make everyone happy with their product and they will keep moving ahead" in a sarcastic manner.

Bought 2 RMEs for my active Martin Logan planars and headphone setup instead of 2 Diablos and havent brought anything from them since despite buying 10+ amps/DACs since.

May 2, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #2,754 of 2,990
I am a nobody but if I had to guess I would say they will disable it.

Despite that they said the line in was an "Easter Egg" waiting to be found I think that is nonsense, there are a number of earlier posts where people asked about a line in feature long ago and ifI reps here constantly denied that it could be done, many many months after the Diablo was released.

I saw a few photos on a FB group that showed the Diablo being used with a line in but I thought it was just staged for the pictures. I asked one guy who said it could be done but I was reluctant because I had no idea if it might damage a rather expensive toy. Later, when Thorsten reached out with a private message here about something else that I was having concerns about with my Diablo I took the opportunity to ask him about the line in which he of course confirmed and explained the wiring that was needed to utilise it for my application. I bought cables and adapters, tested it, of course it worked, I refined the cables and posted here about it.

It seems it isn't a feature that ifI was keen that anybody knew about and it only existed because Thorsten, in his own words, used at as an amplifier testing function during the development process and just left the feature in which eventually went into the production units. IfI did a slick little Instagram post about it but the feature remains conspicuously absent from there own latest on line instruction manual for the Diablo.

Hey, that is the concern of ifI and they make their own decisions for their own reasons and if they ditch it from the next Diablo iteration so be it.
Hope to see the line in feature kept. It works well actually.

May 4, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #2,759 of 2,990
i am trying to work out what firmware is on my Diablo.

i connected it to my MAC vi athe included blue usb cable.

if i type in serial number it only shows what firmware can be downloaded.

i just want to know what is on the device currently. any help please?

May 4, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #2,760 of 2,990
Download the software from the link that Mr Bubba Hyde provided and install.

Plug Diablo into computer, open the control panel “cpl” part of the software and open the appropriate panel and it will tell you the firmware version.

To update it just download the package, plug Diablo into computer, open the “dfu” (i guess that means device firmware upgrade) file and point the Diablo to the firmware saved to your computer and tell it to update it.

You can check the update in the “cpl” in the same manner as before.

All very simple.

The coaxial will work the same on all firmware as we have been advised it is independent of the XMOS so is also independent of the specific firmware.
i have a Mac and nothing is visible when connecting via the blue usb cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back