iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #2,718 of 2,990
1e7db68d9d16fd0348e6b861cb60bd5c.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #2,719 of 2,990
Interesting. 4.4 mm normally goes to XLRs and not RCAs...since XLRs are balanced and RCAs are not...

The RCA are connected to the positives and the ground only so the receiving amplifier just gets a signal like normal and doesn't know any different.

Thor designed the Diablo, he indicated to me some time ago that the 4.4mm to RCA set up would work and of course it does.

As a matter of fact I have used the same cable from the 4.4mm line out of my Fiio M11 Plus into a single ended amp and it works fine. No particular need of course since it has a 3.5mm line out but as best I understand the cable does externally to the wiring set up to the amplifiers what the Fiio does internally to create a single ended output from a balanced architecture.

There are 4.4mm to RCA cables available on Ali Express but I am not sure that they are wired the same way as there is such a thing as balanced audio using RCA but they are designed and wired specifically of course. A cable that uses the positive and negative and not the ground will not work correctly.

Apr 21, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,720 of 2,990
Interesting. 4.4 mm normally goes to XLRs and not RCAs...since XLRs are balanced and RCAs are not...

The "unofficial" line input on the Red Label (Diablo) is single ended, as the whole headphone amplifier is single-ended input and actually a single ended Headphone Amplifier that then creates a the balanced output, like so:

1682068001124.png

It was a solution dictated by basing the Red Label directly on the iDSD micro and just "bolting on" balanced as an afterthought because marketing demanded "must be balanced" when the development had already gone to prototype level.

I did suggest a thorough ground-up redesign to be differential DAC to Headphone (which would also make the line in balanced) and rolling in the advances in usability and performance in some areas realised in the xDSD/xCAN, but was instead told to just rush the implementation of making the iDSD micro "balanced" and to somehow add "balanced". I did that as well as I could, given the design brief. I would not consider the best I could have done for this kind of device, but the best I could do within the limitations imposed on me.

Incidentally, this cable:

12045215.jpeg

Will not only provide a SE Input to the Red Label, but also an output.

Thor

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #2,721 of 2,990
The "unofficial" line input on the Red Label (Diablo) is single ended, as the whole headphone amplifier is single-ended input and actually a single ended Headphone Amplifier that then creates a the balanced output, like so:

It was a solution dictated by basing the Red Label directly on the iDSD micro and just "bolting on" balanced as an afterthought because marketing demanded "must be balanced" when the development had already gone to prototype level.

I did suggest a thorough ground-up redesign to be differential DAC to Headphone (which would also make the line in balanced) and rolling in the advances in usability and performance in some areas realised in the xDSD/xCAN, but was instead told to just rush the implementation of making the iDSD micro "balanced" and to somehow add "balanced". I did that as well as I could, given the design brief. I would not consider the best I could have done for this kind of device, but the best I could do within the limitations imposed on me.

Incidentally, this cable:

12045215.jpeg

Will not only provide a SE Input to the Red Label, but also an output.

Thor

Thor,

With that cable of mine that you posted above, positives and earths only connected, am I right in my understanding that it can safely be used with any balanced 4.4mm line out since the signals are used and nothing is shorted and it creates a single ended set up by using only two of the four amplifiers in a normal balanced device ?

I have used it with a FiiO M11 Plus DAP and it works fine and I understand the FiiO is truly balanced.

Is that in essence the same way a single ended headphone output is created with a device that uses balanced (differential) architecture, that is they just run traces from the positives of each channel to the SE jack and connect the ground as required ?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #2,722 of 2,990
With that cable of mine that you posted above, positives and earths only connected, am I right in my understanding that it can safely be used with any balanced 4.4mm line out since the signals are used and nothing is shorted and it creates a single ended set up by using only two of the four amplifiers in a normal balanced device ?

Safe to the 4.4mm device, absolutely.

If the source omits the ground, there will be problems for the downstream devices, you might get hum, RFI etc. So start with the volume all the way down.

I have used it with a FiiO M11 Plus DAP and it works fine and I understand the FiiO is truly balanced.

Is that in essence the same way a single ended headphone output is created with a device that uses balanced (differential) architecture, that is they just run traces from the positives of each channel to the SE jack and connect the ground as required ?

Yes.

Thor

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #2,724 of 2,990
Hi all,

I purchased a used Diablo.

How can i check what firmware it is on? I am concerned it might nit have the standard firmware and the previous owner may have changed it to a different filter as it sounds a little thin so far. I purchased it from a Retailer who stated it was never used, but I cannot be sure about that.

Should I connect to my Mac and somehow check via iFi software website?
Its not clear how to check whats on it currently and how to restore to standard filter instead of GTO or others.

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #2,725 of 2,990
Ok i am not sure about this, but if SPDIF still works does it mean my Diablo is still using normal firmware as in out if the box standard firmware?

Actually i am mostly using it via SPDIF via digital optical cable to my TV.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #2,726 of 2,990
Hi all,

I purchased a used Diablo.

How can i check what firmware it is on? I am concerned it might nit have the standard firmware and the previous owner may have changed it to a different filter as it sounds a little thin so far. I purchased it from a Retailer who stated it was never used, but I cannot be sure about that.

Should I connect to my Mac and somehow check via iFi software website?
Its not clear how to check whats on it currently and how to restore to standard filter instead of GTO or others.
You'll want to go here and input your Diablo information, from there you should be able to get what you need!

https://ifi-audio.com/support/download-hub/

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,727 of 2,990
Gid you connect the grounds (Pin 1 on XLR) to the 4.4m connector ring?

First, XLR is pointless as the Amp inside the Diablo is single-ended input, not balanced.

In effect connections need to be same as RCA->4.4mm, meaning:

XLR pin 1 -> 4.4mm GND.
XLR pin 2 -> L+/R+

You can ignore XLR Pin 3 & L-/R- if you make the cable for the diablo. It is likely good practice to still connect these thusly:

XLR pin 3 -> L-/R-

Does this help?

Thor
Hi Thor, just get back to you

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2,728 of 2,990
Gid you connect the grounds (Pin 1 on XLR) to the 4.4m connector ring?

First, XLR is pointless as the Amp inside the Diablo is single-ended input, not balanced.

In effect connections need to be same as RCA->4.4mm, meaning:

XLR pin 1 -> 4.4mm GND.
XLR pin 2 -> L+/R+

You can ignore XLR Pin 3 & L-/R- if you make the cable for the diablo. It is likely good practice to still connect these thusly:

XLR pin 3 -> L-/R-

Does this help?

Thor
Hi Thor, I got a cable tailored according to your instruction and the line in function worked well finally. Thank you Thor.

Say, 3pin xlr female *2 to 4.4mm male.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,729 of 2,990
It is hidden away a bit on the ifi site but it is this one.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/

ddhifi make one the same.

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/963215.html

I have used them both with a single ended dac into the 4.4mm of the Diablo and from the 4.4mm of the Diablo out to a single ended amplifier. You can use a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable or if applicable a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.
Hi Bryce, I bought the ddhifi adapter you recommended and now the dual RCA to 3.5mm cable can work as line in normally through this adapter. Thanks bro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back