iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #2,701 of 2,990
I sold Diablo and keep Gryphon since Diablo is not able to compete with a good desktop system anyways and it does not work perfectly with some IEMs.
You cannot control the volume perfectly with very sensitive IEM like Earsonics S-EM9, S-EM6 v2.
The only scenario I would use Diablo is a transportable source for full size headphones, but I normally take IEM with me and not headphones when I travel.
Which desktop dac/amps are as good as Diablo for the same price?

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,702 of 2,990
Yes my apologies. I obviously misread and also misunderstood what he was referring to!

Thank you for pointing out my error @Thorsten Loesch !

@bo18 Those cables I pointed you to are for Balanced output from the Diablo, my bad!

Cheers!!
No problem, Hyde. Your warm help is always welcome. I've clarified my situation to Thor in the above post.

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,703 of 2,990
Which desktop dac/amps are as good as Diablo for the same price?
Well, I use Burson Soloist 3X GT which is 2800 USD with Supercharger plus Violectric DAC which was around 1300 USD in the past plus NEO Stream (1300 USD) plus LPSU (350 USD) plus Optibox with LPSU (250 USD) plus Optoswitch (~1000 USD)- and yes, this combination sounds SUPERIOR with my Snorry Trion:dt880smile:

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,704 of 2,990
The output machine which you could assume it's a normal desktop DAC (usually with L&R 3pin XLR male as output sockets). That's why I make another cable (not the iFi one), say "L&R 3pin XLR female to 4.4mm male", to connect the DAC and Diablo. The "L&R 3pin XLR female" connect the DAC mentioned above, and the "4.4mm male" connect the Diablo as line in. Then found the problem mentioned by Bryce earlier "it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking".

Gid you connect the grounds (Pin 1 on XLR) to the 4.4m connector ring?

If I wanna use my DAC (with L&R 3pin XLR male as output sockets) output to Diablo (as pure amp), any cable or connect methodology you are suggesting?

First, XLR is pointless as the Amp inside the Diablo is single-ended input, not balanced.

In effect connections need to be same as RCA->4.4mm, meaning:

XLR pin 1 -> 4.4mm GND.
XLR pin 2 -> L+/R+

You can ignore XLR Pin 3 & L-/R- if you make the cable for the diablo. It is likely good practice to still connect these thusly:

XLR pin 3 -> L-/R-

Does this help?

Thor

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2,705 of 2,990
Hi Thor, nice to have your reply. I try to describe what i'm doing at this moment:

The output machine which you could assume it's a normal desktop DAC (usually with L&R 3pin XLR male as output sockets). That's why I make another cable (not the iFi one), say "L&R 3pin XLR female to 4.4mm male", to connect the DAC and Diablo. The "L&R 3pin XLR female" connect the DAC mentioned above, and the "4.4mm male" connect the Diablo as line in. Then found the problem mentioned by Bryce earlier "it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking".

If I wanna use my DAC (with L&R 3pin XLR male as output sockets) output to Diablo (as pure amp), any cable or connect methodology you are suggesting?

Look forward to your instruction. Glad to have your attention here :)

It is pretty straightforward, you connect the positive and negative terminals of the XLR to the positive and negative terminals of the 4.4mm then connect the ground pins of the XLR to the ground of the 4.4mm.

There is plenty of information online regarding the wiring arrangement and a continuity tester is definitely you friend.

If you have the + and - connections made but no ground you could set up a temporary ground to test your set up by plugging a 3.5mm plug into the SPDIF input and connecting the ground wire to a ground point on the DAC.

Apr 18, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2,706 of 2,990

First, XLR is pointless as the Amp inside the Diablo is single-ended input, not balanced.

XLR pin 1 -> 4.4mm GND.
XLR pin 2 -> L+/R+

You can ignore XLR Pin 3 & L-/R- if you make the cable for the diablo. It is likely good practice to still connect these thusly:

XLR pin 3 -> L-/R-

Does this help?

Thor

Thor,

After we spoke some time ago on this matter I had Forza Audioworks make a 5 wire 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable that works perfectly from a balanced out from a DAP to the Diablo.

Would it not be simpler to just connect all the wires of an XLR x 2 to 4.4 mm achieving exactly the same as my cable but with the XLR plugs. That would make the cable useful for other applications and remove confusion over what to connect.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #2,707 of 2,990
Would it not be simpler to just connect all the wires of an XLR x 2 to 4.4 mm achieving exactly the same as my cable but with the XLR plugs. That would make the cable useful for other applications and remove confusion over what to connect.

XLR are gendered, male and female He (Neutrick) made them. And thus they shall cling together and be locked together forever with a latch.

Of course, you can make a 4.4mm -> XLR male + XLR female -> 4.4mm Cables and link them into a 4.4mm -> 4.4mm cable or use them separate. Very useful for reviewers or people with too much gear.

Well, I only make cables for myself.

Thor

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #2,708 of 2,990

XLR pin 1 -> 4.4mm GND.
XLR pin 2 -> L+/R+

XLR pin 3 -> L-/R-

Does this help?

Thor
Hi Thor,

It helps. I will try this connection method and feedback here. Thanks again!

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2,709 of 2,990
It is pretty straightforward, you connect the positive and negative terminals of the XLR to the positive and negative terminals of the 4.4mm then connect the ground pins of the XLR to the ground of the 4.4mm.

There is plenty of information online regarding the wiring arrangement and a continuity tester is definitely you friend.

If you have the + and - connections made but no ground you could set up a temporary ground to test your set up by plugging a 3.5mm plug into the SPDIF input and connecting the ground wire to a ground point on the DAC.
Thanks Bryce! I try this pin out and get back to you later.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #2,710 of 2,990

Hi Bryce, one more question...

You mentioned in previous post "I understand that is how the iFi 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter is set up internally so I have one of those due soon. I believe that will allow a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable or a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable from a single ended DAC to be connected to the 4.4mm on the back of the Diablo via the iFi adapter."

I could not find the "iFi 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter" on iFi's offical website.

Actually I want to try this connection way : "a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable from a single ended DAC to be connected to the 4.4mm on the back of the Diablo via the iFi adapter".

Would you please advise me a proper adapter to buy?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #2,711 of 2,990
Hi Bryce, one more question...

You mentioned in previous post "I understand that is how the iFi 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter is set up internally so I have one of those due soon. I believe that will allow a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable or a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable from a single ended DAC to be connected to the 4.4mm on the back of the Diablo via the iFi adapter."

I could not find the "iFi 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter" on iFi's offical website.

Actually I want to try this connection way : "a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable from a single ended DAC to be connected to the 4.4mm on the back of the Diablo via the iFi adapter".

Would you please advise me a proper adapter to buy?

Thanks!

It is hidden away a bit on the ifi site but it is this one.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/

ddhifi make one the same.

https://www.ddhifi.com/productinfo/963215.html

I have used them both with a single ended dac into the 4.4mm of the Diablo and from the 4.4mm of the Diablo out to a single ended amplifier. You can use a 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable or if applicable a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #2,712 of 2,990
Photos from my earlier posts for context:
443FA923-765C-4082-AD0F-73569283343E.jpg

E10F8C68-675D-48A7-B235-D6BF634BC867.jpg

8B4CA7D7-240E-4422-ADC6-61010E9847EF.jpg

6452BE27-22A4-4F44-B4B5-C5C94359B810.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #2,713 of 2,990
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #2,714 of 2,990
Helpful indeed. Thanks Bryce!

And one more picture, this was a later refinement using a modified version of ifI 4.4mm to 2 x 3 pin XLR that comes with the Diablo that I had no use for.

The negative wires are cut short and sealed over completely unconnected, the positives from the 4.4mm are connected to the centre signal terminals of the RCAs and the ground from the 4.4mm are both connected to the outer ground of the RCAs.

Can be used for a single ended DAC into the Diablo as an amplifier or out of the Diablo as a DAC into an amplifier.

For a while I used it to connect the Diablo as a DAC to a Woo Audio WA6 tube amplifier and I recently used it to connect the Diablo as a DAC to my Schiit Piety amplifier.

IMG_3753.jpeg

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #2,715 of 2,990
And one more picture, this was a later refinement using a modified version of ifI 4.4mm to 2 x 3 pin XLR that comes with the Diablo that I had no use for.

The negative wires are cut short and sealed over completely unconnected, the positives from the 4.4mm are connected to the centre signal terminals of the RCAs and the ground from the 4.4mm are both connected to the outer ground of the RCAs.

Can be used for a single ended DAC into the Diablo as an amplifier or out of the Diablo as a DAC into an amplifier.

For a while I used it to connect the Diablo as a DAC to a Woo Audio WA6 tube amplifier and I recently used it to connect the Diablo as a DAC to my Schiit Piety amplifier.

Looks cool!

In order to take full advantage of Diablo, I've bought three adapters and two wires specially for connecting it with all the devices and headphones on hand...

It somehow becomes a small "lab" for testing various wires, adapters and experimenting on different connecting ways...

lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back