iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #2,686 of 2,990
The Diablo is still a wonderful bit of gear within its design limitations.

Thank you. I always try to the best possible.

I am more than happy with mine even if it could potentially have been technically better.

Many of the changes would have been more in usability, things like volume control from the xDSD/xCAN, BT input etc. MQA on all inputs....

Essentially a "Gryphon" but dual DAC, fully differential version circuit with much lower noise using otherwise the same new headphone amp circuitry as Diablo.

Most of the very justified criticism of user experience I read in this thread would thus have simply been designed out.

I assume the same lack of cohesion between designer and salesmen resulted in the lack of clarity, or even perhaps even complete lack of awareness, over the line in feature.

I included this primarily so it is possible to measure the headphone amplifier isolated from the DAC, as specifically it's distortion is very low, much lower than the DAC.

Because the iDSD micro had a line in and there had been some comments critical of it's performance as headphone amp via line in (against very expensive stand alone desktop HP Amp's) marketing explicitly wanted "absolutely no line in".

Funny to see a line in on the "Gryphon" which I didn't work on. Anyway, I did not "take out" the line in as it works on an absolutely fundamental hardware level.

Anyway, I viewed the design more as a prototype and potential small scale preview for a new headphone Amplifier than a product that should sell to paying customers.

So the Line In "feature" stayed in and was just memory holed and not talked about when the product was released.

Thor

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,689 of 2,990
Is there an equivalent desktop dac/amp that can sound as good as ifi Diablo based on the same price for full sized headphones-Focal Radiance?

among the gd audio products you may find some interesting amp-dac combos that could be right for you. in the past I thought about it too but then I chose something more portable

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #2,690 of 2,990
Thank you. I always try to the best possible.

Many of the changes would have been more in usability, things like volume control from the xDSD/xCAN, BT input etc. MQA on all inputs....

Essentially a "Gryphon" but dual DAC, fully differential version circuit with much lower noise using otherwise the same new headphone amp circuitry as Diablo.

Most of the very justified criticism of user experience I read in this thread would thus have simply been designed out.

I included this primarily so it is possible to measure the headphone amplifier isolated from the DAC, as specifically it's distortion is very low, much lower than the DAC.

Because the iDSD micro had a line in and there had been some comments critical of it's performance as headphone amp via line in (against very expensive stand alone desktop HP Amp's) marketing explicitly wanted "absolutely no line in".

Funny to see a line in on the "Gryphon" which I didn't work on. Anyway, I did not "take out" the line in as it works on an absolutely fundamental hardware level.

Anyway, I viewed the design more as a prototype and potential small scale preview for a new headphone Amplifier than a product that should sell to paying customers.

So the Line In "feature" stayed in and was just memory holed and not talked about when the product was released.

Thor

The extremely low noise floor is what I find most impressive, dead quiet even with sensitive IEM.

The only noise I can hear is, obviously with no music playing, the very top end of the volume range in Turbo mode. All rather academic when that would probably fry an IEM with music playing !

For what it is worth I prefer the Diablo over the Gryphon and am happy that the Diablo is what it is rather than being a larger version of the Gryphon. It has its place and compliments the Gryphon nicely in my opinion.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #2,691 of 2,990
I sold Diablo and keep Gryphon since Diablo is not able to compete with a good desktop system anyways and it does not work perfectly with some IEMs.
You cannot control the volume perfectly with very sensitive IEM like Earsonics S-EM9, S-EM6 v2.
The only scenario I would use Diablo is a transportable source for full size headphones, but I normally take IEM with me and not headphones when I travel.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,693 of 2,990
What interconnect cable are you using ?

I tried a line in to my Diablo with a cheap cable I got from AliExpress some time ago, it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking.

I know that cable only uses four wires (I checked with a continuity tester - two wires, a battery and a small light bulb) and the ground/sleeves are not connected. I rigged up a temporary ground with a wire across the metal barrels of the plugs and the hum went away and the bass returned, it sounded excellent.

I also achieved the same temporary fix in a more elegant way by plugging a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable between the DAP 3.5mm out and the Diablo 3.5mm SPDIF input. The 3.5mm sleeves grounded the DAP to the Diablo and the 4.4mm passed the signal.

I have an iFi cable ordered which I am assured is a grounded cable and I also ordered a GUCraftsman 4.4mm interconnect which, being advertised as suitable for ZEN DAC etc, presumably also uses all five terminals of the Pentaconn.

I have also been told by the designer of the Diablo that the the input will accept a single ended DAC via a plug set up with the right and left positive (signal) and the sleeving ground only of the Pentaconn with the negatives left unconnected.

I understand that is how the iFi 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter is set up internally so I have one of those due soon. I believe that will allow a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable or a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable from a single ended DAC to be connected to the 4.4mm on the back of the Diablo via the iFi adapter.

I’ll report back.

Photo showing the 3.5mm grounding cable and 4.4mm interconnect being used, with Gryphon and Diablo in this case, it worked a treat. Pretty cool to have all the Gryphons features with the Diablos power, even if it isn’t portable !
Hi
What interconnect cable are you using ?

I tried a line in to my Diablo with a cheap cable I got from AliExpress some time ago, it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking.

I know that cable only uses four wires (I checked with a continuity tester - two wires, a battery and a small light bulb) and the ground/sleeves are not connected. I rigged up a temporary ground with a wire across the metal barrels of the plugs and the hum went away and the bass returned, it sounded excellent.

I also achieved the same temporary fix in a more elegant way by plugging a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable between the DAP 3.5mm out and the Diablo 3.5mm SPDIF input. The 3.5mm sleeves grounded the DAP to the Diablo and the 4.4mm passed the signal.

I have an iFi cable ordered which I am assured is a grounded cable and I also ordered a GUCraftsman 4.4mm interconnect which, being advertised as suitable for ZEN DAC etc, presumably also uses all five terminals of the Pentaconn.

I have also been told by the designer of the Diablo that the the input will accept a single ended DAC via a plug set up with the right and left positive (signal) and the sleeving ground only of the Pentaconn with the negatives left unconnected.

I understand that is how the iFi 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter is set up internally so I have one of those due soon. I believe that will allow a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable or a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable from a single ended DAC to be connected to the 4.4mm on the back of the Diablo via the iFi adapter.

I’ll report back.

Photo showing the 3.5mm grounding cable and 4.4mm interconnect being used, with Gryphon and Diablo in this case, it worked a treat. Pretty cool to have all the Gryphons features with the Diablos power, even if it isn’t portable !

E53D7516-3D5C-4C2A-920C-C00CE3076A0C.jpeg
Hi BryceS,

I'm now using a "4.4mm male to 3pin*2 xlr female" to try the Diablo line-in funtion. Same as you mentioned, it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking.

Would you kindly advise me a full pinout definition both for 4.4mm male and 3pin*2 xlr? Really want to hear "hum went away and the bass returned, it sounded excellent".

Many thanks!

Apr 18, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #2,694 of 2,990
That is me, I messed up my email and had to start a new user name.

I don’t use anything with XLR and can’t tell you exactly what the wiring set up needs to be for your device but the Diablo needs the ground terminal to be used so the ground of the device are connected.

I would think that it would be pretty easy to determine what pin is the earth and ensure that the earth on the Pentaconn for the Diablo is connected to both earth pins of the XLR.

I continuity tester made from a battery, light bulb and a few pieces of wire would quickly tell you what connections go where on your cable.

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #2,695 of 2,990
That is me, I messed up my email and had to start a new user name.

I don’t use anything with XLR and can’t tell you exactly what the wiring set up needs to be for your device but the Diablo needs the ground terminal to be used so the ground of the device are connected.

I would think that it would be pretty easy to determine what pin is the earth and ensure that the earth on the Pentaconn for the Diablo is connected to both earth pins of the XLR.

I continuity tester made from a battery, light bulb and a few pieces of wire would quickly tell you what connections go where on your cable.
Thanks BryceS! Look forward to your further info.

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #2,696 of 2,990
Hi

Hi BryceS,

I'm now using a "4.4mm male to 3pin*2 xlr female" to try the Diablo line-in funtion. Same as you mentioned, it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking.

Would you kindly advise me a full pinout definition both for 4.4mm male and 3pin*2 xlr? Really want to hear "hum went away and the bass returned, it sounded excellent".

Many thanks!
The world of 4.4mm cables to me at this moment is a bit of a hit-and-miss, both in terms of quality and connection.

That being said although expensive I can tell you the iFi branded cables are a win, I have never had any issue with a secure fit, connection, or sound.

The other end of the spectrum is hit and miss sometimes, I have purchased cables from Amazon and Aliexpress with some mixed results, so in most cases although a bit on the expensive side I would always tell someone to get the iFi cables if possible.

That being said I just got a set in from Aliexpress that I have no issues with (YMMV) and here is a link to what I ordered...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...2bLFeDA&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2bLFeDA&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Be sure and choose your appropriate length before adding to the cart.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 18, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #2,697 of 2,990

The Diablo line in is SE (as the headphone Amp is SE in).

So it is important that the cable has the fifth (ring) connection in place (many that are aimed at headphones do not) and to ground. Only the signal on L+/- will be used.

The cable iFi supplies is line out. I do not know if it has Pin 1 from each XLR connected to 4.4mm ring, it should. But the gender of the XLR is wrong for line in. So do not use this cable as line in cable, UNLESS you really know what you are doing.

Thor

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #2,698 of 2,990
The world of 4.4mm cables to me at this moment is a bit of a hit-and-miss, both in terms of quality and connection.

That being said although expensive I can tell you the iFi branded cables are a win, I have never had any issue with a secure fit, connection, or sound.

The other end of the spectrum is hit and miss sometimes, I have purchased cables from Amazon and Aliexpress with some mixed results, so in most cases although a bit on the expensive side I would always tell someone to get the iFi cables if possible.

That being said I just got a set in from Aliexpress that I have no issues with (YMMV) and here is a link to what I ordered...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...2bLFeDA&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2bLFeDA&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Be sure and choose your appropriate length before adding to the cart.

Cheers!!
Thanks for your information Hyde! I will check the items on the aliexpress.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #2,699 of 2,990

So it is important that the cable has the fifth (ring) connection in place (many that are aimed at headphones do not) and to ground. Only the signal on L+/- will be used.

The cable iFi supplies is line out. I do not know if it has Pin 1 from each XLR connected to 4.4mm ring, it should. But the gender of the XLR is wrong for line in. So do not use this cable as line in cable, UNLESS you really know what you are doing.

Thor
Hi Thor, nice to have your reply. I try to describe what i'm doing at this moment:

The output machine which you could assume it's a normal desktop DAC (usually with L&R 3pin XLR male as output sockets). That's why I make another cable (not the iFi one), say "L&R 3pin XLR female to 4.4mm male", to connect the DAC and Diablo. The "L&R 3pin XLR female" connect the DAC mentioned above, and the "4.4mm male" connect the Diablo as line in. Then found the problem mentioned by Bryce earlier "it makes sound but there was some hum and the bass was very obviously lacking".

If I wanna use my DAC (with L&R 3pin XLR male as output sockets) output to Diablo (as pure amp), any cable or connect methodology you are suggesting?

Look forward to your instruction. Glad to have your attention here :)

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,700 of 2,990

Thor
Yes my apologies. I obviously misread and also misunderstood what he was referring to!

Thank you for pointing out my error @Thorsten Loesch !

@bo18 Those cables I pointed you to are for Balanced output from the Diablo, my bad!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back