iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,621 of 2,988
what was the issue, and how was it solved?

If someone ever comes across this post they might want to know :)
That was a hardware problem - the wire somewhere between the battery and the pc board was disconnected (not properly soldered?)... so the soldering iron did help :wink:
https://player.ru/showthread.php?t=256254&p=3232828&viewfull=1#post3232828

So basically he did not want to waste time on sending the unit back to replace with the new one and he just went to a nearest workshop, they fixed it in 5 minutes.
As far as I understand that was a brand new Diablo which properly worked until the first charging.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,622 of 2,988
Questionnn... what's the pairing like between Diablo and LCD-4Z or Abyss Diana Phi?
I can only speak for the pairing of the Diablo and the LCD-X, and it’s magical to me. Very layered, textured, musical presentation overall with plenty of depth in the lower registers and great mid/treble clarity without being harsh.

I’m using an excellent balanced cable from Scan in the UK (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/sca...4mm-pentaconn-to-dual-mini-xlr-for-audeze-lcd) and AQ Carbon cable to my iPad Pro running Amarra Play connected to Qobuz.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,623 of 2,988
Has anyone experienced charging problems with Diablo? It does not charge form the supplied iPower (smartphone chargers do not work either).
Diablo shows fleshing red LED all the time and it works only when the charger is connected to Diablo.

P.S. My Diablo is ok. This is the unit of one guy from one of Russian forums.

P.P.S. The problem was solved. No support needed. Thanks

what was the issue, and how was it solved?

If someone ever comes across this post they might want to know :)

Exactly this!

Aug 5, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,624 of 2,988
Aug 11, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,625 of 2,988
Now that you're here, @Sebastien Chiu, any news on a 4.4mm IEMatch?
-And whatever happened to your assertion that Diablo does MQA decoding through the SPDIF input? Unlike with the hoped-for IEMatch using 4.4mm, you claimed to do this from day one (when I bought it). I am still waiting for a firmware update (??) to make good on your promise.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,626 of 2,988
-And whatever happened to your assertion that Diablo does MQA decoding through the SPDIF input? Unlike with the hoped-for IEMatch using 4.4mm, you claimed to do this from day one (when I bought it). I am still waiting for a firmware update (??) to make good on your promise.

I never promised anything?

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,627 of 2,988
I never promised anything?
I think he meant @Sebastien Chiu but quoted you instead :D

In any case, MQA over SPDIF on iDSD Diablo isn't possible at this time. If it will in i.e. a fiormware upgrade, we'll of course gladly inform everyone :)

As for iEMatch 4.4, we know folks here want it, we really do :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #1,629 of 2,988
IMG_20210811_235453__01.jpg

Finally a proper headset for Diablo.

#iematch4.4plz

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,631 of 2,988
In any case, MQA over SPDIF on iDSD Diablo isn't possible at this time. If it will in i.e. a fiormware upgrade, we'll of course gladly inform everyone
It is so magnanimous of you to "gladly inform" us if a feature promoted in your marketing materials is actually implemented some day!

OTOH, you say "we hear you" about functionality that wasn't promised when I bought mine. [EDIT]

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #1,632 of 2,988
It is so magnanimous of you to "gladly inform" us if a feature promoted in your marketing materials is actually implemented some day!

OTOH, you say "we hear you" about functionality that wasn't promised when I bought mine. How about some honesty in your business practices?
If a product is missing an important feature, return it? Also do you have link to where it shows “mqa over spdif”?

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,633 of 2,988
If a product is missing an important feature, return it? Also do you have link to where it shows “mqa over spdif”?
The false marketing claim was well-documented earlier (February/March) in this thread. They kind of acknowledged, but have never apologized for, the mistake; choosing instead to do this little song-and-dance pretending that they never presented MQA through SPDIF as a finished feature, and changing the subject. Maybe now they will finally fess up.

I didn't send it back because I had the same experience with my iDSD Black Label after iFI told me at a trade show that it would decode MQA. I bought it, it didn't; but after a few months they posted a firmware update that enabled MQA rendering. I've been hoping since February that they would make good on this product as well.

So when they start hinting that a desired new feature could be on the way, I get annoyed again about one they promised as complete eight months ago.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,634 of 2,988
MQA – the hi-res streaming codec, as used by Tidal’s ‘Masters’ tier – is also supported through the USB and S/PDIF inputs, with full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip. This means that the full ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’. Globally, MQA has become an important consideration for any comprehensively equipped DAC; for Tidal Masters subscribers, the iDSD Diablo is a great way to make the most of the superior sound of which this streaming service is capable.
False MQA claim from the very first post in this thread.

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,635 of 2,988
crap happens. I bought an Astell&Kern Kann Cube and SR15 in part because they announced In October 2018 that Roon support was coming before the end of the year. It’s nearly 3 years later and they still don’t have it. Complaing about it and attacking a company’s ethics isn’t going to make the functionality magically appear. Sometimes things don’t go according to plan. If they made a habit of over promising and under delivering they wouldn’t be in business and they know it. It’s not like they are intentionally swindling people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back