iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Jun 18, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,516 of 2,988
Look at this! I found a think leather Miter case to protect my new Diablo and the HiRes Sticker! Required for anyone with version 2 of the Diablo.

Pretty nice. Unsure if this affects any heat dispersion.

I've noticed little to no heatup on eco mode, a little on normal, and plenty on turbo. so I think on eco and normal it will be fine. nice case though, i hope more companies will do something like that.

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,518 of 2,988
Jun 18, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,519 of 2,988
I do like it very much. First Miter case. Was a steal at $40 but they accidentally sent me the one for the signature first.

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #1,520 of 2,988
@Sebastien Chiu @iFi audio perhaps a bit of a weird question, but on some previous devices there was compatibility with the 6th gen iPod (Classic) and some others, what are the chances of this being added to the diablo firmware? I'm not sure if these firmwares are pretty much build from the ground up or iterations of previous firmwares...

a bit of googling reveals that the XU08/nano iDSD black label does support it, but the XU216 might not of course.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #1,521 of 2,988
@Sebastien Chiu @iFi audio perhaps a bit of a weird question, but on some previous devices there was compatibility with the 6th gen iPod (Classic) and some others, what are the chances of this being added to the diablo firmware? I'm not sure if these firmwares are pretty much build from the ground up or iterations of previous firmwares...

a bit of googling reveals that the XU08/nano iDSD black label does support it, but the XU216 might not of course.

Weird questions are good questions in our book! You never know who may be asking it after you.

Off the top of my head, I actually don't know as the Black Label was before my time at iFi.

The chances of it being added are pretty slim unless it's already something built-in.

The Diablo is an entirely new platform, so Black Label features in the firmware might not always transfer over.

Unfortunately, also don't have a 6th gen iPod (Classic) to test on my end directly. I'll ask the team for you.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,522 of 2,988
I can find them on multiple sites. here's an ebay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124767472450 in red leather, or black artificial(!) leather.

I'm happy to see them using artificial leather. might cop one.

Miter makes great stuff.

I might have to grab one of each for my personal use of our products!

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,523 of 2,988
Weird questions are good questions in our book! You never know who may be asking it after you.

Off the top of my head, I actually don't know as the Black Label was before my time at iFi.

The chances of it being added are pretty slim unless it's already something built-in.

The Diablo is an entirely new platform, so Black Label features in the firmware might not always transfer over.

Unfortunately, also don't have a 6th gen iPod (Classic) to test on my end directly. I'll ask the team for you.

I saw this article: https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/can-i-use-my-ipod-classic-as-a-source/

bought a camera connection kit, but no luck for me. I might have to take it to the rockbox IRC...but i'd like to hear from the team at iFi :)

Jun 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,524 of 2,988
I purchased the Diablo 4 days ago to replacing my ageing iBasso D5 HJ as DAC/amp to use mainly in the office. Was originally looking at the xDSD but decided to get the Diablo to drive my HD800 around the house too.

Got lucky enough to buy the last Diablo on Amazon from an approved seller at £899, The ones from iFi are at £999 now. Plus my Diablo came with the iPurifier3 in the carrying case.

So far it is excellent, the Diablo is far more capable driving my B&W P9 and Unique Melody Merlin IEM, don’t really have to dial the volume more than 11 o’clock. Not able to test on HD800 yet due to broken cable and looking for balanced replacement.

My only complaint like others here is the channel inbalance and dead space after switch on with the volume knob. It would have been soo much better if there is more control of volume at lower levels. For example I like to listen in normal mode with the P9 as it sounds more alive and closer than eco mode. But it requires very fine volume control within a tight range on the knob. For the price iFi is asking, the volume control feels subpar and little frustrating.

I do have couple of questions, do I need to upgrade the firmware for any improvements to the Diablo? Also I read on the xDSD section, the battery only charges to 70% in desktop mode when plugged in, does the Diablo comes with the same feature?

P.S. another minor annoyance is the iPurifer does not sit flush with the Diablo, I simply added a rubber band to the back of the Diablo to lift up enough to clear the iPurifer off the table When plugged In.

Attachments

• 4A3D52AB-8D76-49E3-825D-BB1C7828B81A.png
    4A3D52AB-8D76-49E3-825D-BB1C7828B81A.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,525 of 2,988
My only complaint like others here is the channel inbalance and dead space after switch on with the volume knob. It would have been soo much better if there is more control of volume at lower levels. For example I like to listen in normal mode with the P9 as it sounds more alive and closer than eco mode. But it requires very fine volume control within a tight range on the knob. For the price iFi is asking, the volume control feels subpar and little frustrating.

yeah this is a shame. I'm still looking into modifying mine to have a separate volume dial and power switch, because I believe it's the combining that causes this issue(though at this point I can't prove nor disprove this)

I do have couple of questions, do I need to upgrade the firmware for any improvements to the Diablo?

right now there's 2 firmware versions available; one that just gives you a working DAC, and one that has some EQ stuff going on. as with any device, software updates happen for a reason. better decoding, better compatibility with stuff (say for instance, DSD512). but from the get-go it should sound very good if not best already.

Also I read on the xDSD section, the battery only charges to 70% in desktop mode when plugged in, does the Diablo comes with the same feature?

From what i've seen it charges completely, but what is good to know is that the device is always powered through the battery. what this means is that if you leave it charging while using, the power goes through the battery so it charges and discharges continuously.

P.S. another minor annoyance is the iPurifer does not sit flush with the Diablo, I simply added a rubber band to the back of the Diablo to lift up enough to clear the iPurifer off the table When plugged In.

Having seen how tightly everything is packed inside the enclosure, there really was no other way to have done this. they even had to shave off a corner of the m.2 port!

congrats on your Diablo!

Jun 21, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,526 of 2,988
yeah this is a shame. I'm still looking into modifying mine to have a separate volume dial and power switch, because I believe it's the combining that causes this issue(though at this point I can't prove nor disprove this)

Thanks, a click in or toggle power switch would have been nice, but I don’t think it is a deal breaker for me, the sounds from the Diablo seems to stretching out a bit from new, I can increase the volume a bit more than few days ago.

Having seen how tightly everything is packed inside the enclosure, there really was no other way to have done this. they even had to shave off a corner of the m.2 port!

It’s not a big deal, maybe the black feet can be a bit taller? But a rubber band is good enough to clear the iPurifer off the table.

Looking forward to enjoying with my HD800 using balanced cable!

Jun 23, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,528 of 2,988

right now there's 2 firmware versions available; one that just gives you a working DAC, and one that has some EQ stuff going on. as with any device, software updates happen for a reason. better decoding, better compatibility with stuff (say for instance, DSD512). but from the get-go it should sound very good if not best already.

From what i've seen it charges completely, but what is good to know is that the device is always powered through the battery. what this means is that if you leave it charging while using, the power goes through the battery so it charges and discharges continuously.

congrats on your Diablo!

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it!

That's correct re: the battery, it always stays around 70 to 80%.

Thanks, a click in or toggle power switch would have been nice, but I don’t think it is a deal breaker for me, the sounds from the Diablo seems to stretching out a bit from new, I can increase the volume a bit more than few days ago.

It’s not a big deal, maybe the black feet can be a bit taller? But a rubber band is good enough to clear the iPurifer off the table.

Looking forward to enjoying with my HD800 using balanced cable!

The rubber band is a very cool, easy, and practical mod that ironically applies to a lot of our products in different places.

We love seeing how creative people can get without breaking warranty (lol)!

@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu
Any issue leaving the Diablo all the time on, powered to AC, charging and discharging this way?

I personally would not recommend this due to maintaining battery longevity over the long term, but there are no other reasons saying you can't do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back