iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
May 31, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #1,426 of 2,988
Just a question ... I usually hear my music via Tidal. For some master tracks I get the magenta LED and for some others some kind of yellow. Does anyone know why? Firmware is 7.0 and USB driver is 3.2

I believe the difference is between normal MQA and 'master' MQA. Those colours don't eem to be right though. have a look at my post regarding the correct colours: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...nce-done-our-way.951615/page-65#post-16249673

I have a related question, if that’s ok. I’ve just upgraded the firmware to 7c and the LED stays white all the time. My previous firmware apparently had GTO but the LED was always yellow. Does anyone know if the all white all the time LED indicates GTO or not (or if something got messed up)? Thanks!

What previous firmware did you have? at this time only version 7.0 and version 7.0c are available, with 7.0c being the GTO one.

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,428 of 2,988
I believe the difference is between normal MQA and 'master' MQA. Those colours don't eem to be right though. have a look at my post regarding the correct colours: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...nce-done-our-way.951615/page-65#post-16249673

What previous firmware did you have? at this time only version 7.0 and version 7.0c are available, with 7.0c being the GTO one.
I don’t have a record of the firmware, but I received my Diablo on March 20, and the first thing I did was check for a new firmware on the iFi website. I entered my serial number and a firmware download appeared — I don’t recall the version number but I do remember that there was only one firmware available at the time (not two, ie cookies and cream and GTO).

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,429 of 2,988
I don’t have a record of the firmware, but I received my Diablo on March 20, and the first thing I did was check for a new firmware on the iFi website. I entered my serial number and a firmware download appeared — I don’t recall the version number but I do remember that there was only one firmware available at the time (not two, ie cookies and cream and GTO).
I think I’ve partially figured out what’s going on with my Diablo and the LED colours. I decided I’d install the 7.0 Cookies and Cream firmware, and overwrite the 7.0 GTO that I installed previously. i did this because I seemed to remember installing a newish firmware when I received my Diablo that stated a complete overhaul of the MQA code, and this corresponds with the description of 7.0 C&C.

The firmware installed successfully, and I tried to figure out why the LED always displayed yellow, even when playing high res files. I should have mentioned that I connect the Diablo to a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 inch, using an AQ Carbon USB-C to A cable, connected to an iFi Purifier3.

It turns out that apps such as Vox and Foobar2000 have been downsampling my high res files to 48k. Vox reports what DAC it’s connected to and what the max sample rate of the DAC is, and it thinks the Diablo’s is 48k! For whatever reason, neither app can recognise that the Diablo is capable of much more than this. I tried connecting the Diablo directly to the iPad Pro (without the Purifier) using a USB dongle but the same thing happens — it’s only recognised as a 48k device. So this is why the LED has always been yellow.

The only app that seems to send the correct sample rate to the Diablo is Amarra Play, for whatever reason. In this case, the LED correctly changes to white when I’m playing high res files and Cyan when I’m playing DSD128.

So my Diablo seems to be working properly. As for 7.0 GTO, I suppose it maybe working properly as well. The release notes do state that the LED will always be of a constant colour (but they don’t state which colour). Perhaps the colour should be white given that it’s upsampling to high res PCM sample rates.

I don’t know if this helps anyone else, but I hope so. It would be good to know why apps like Foobar2000 and Vox, which are widely known to output high res files, only recognise the Diablo as a 48k device.

Jun 2, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,431 of 2,988
Just a question ... I usually hear my music via Tidal. For some master tracks I get the magenta LED and for some others some kind of yellow. Does anyone know why? Firmware is 7.0 and USB driver is 3.2
Some of us have been around the block with this problem, and sent our early-issue Diablo back for a surgical procedure not available as a simple firmware update. Contact their support ticket system for details.

Jun 4, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,434 of 2,988
It's been mine for two days and I have to try it, but the sound is very good, clean and powerful. I have noticed a small imbalance of channels at very low volume and some fault in the Led that indicates the bitrate.

Attachments

• PSX_20210603_203631.jpg
    PSX_20210603_203631.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #1,435 of 2,988
But today eveneing I tried to further experiment with 3,5mm iematch cable and realized that my akg k872 hugely benefit from iematch cable set to high sensitivity and along with turbo mode setting on diablo it does the MAGIC. The sound is perfectly balanced yet very detailed and natural finally. Thanks for inspiration to someone who mentioned experimenting with iematch and at the same time with gain settings either in signature or diablo thread.
While I don't own a Diablo (I own a BL) I always felt it was unfair of reviewers to drone on about the lack of IE MATCH on the Diablo. One reviewer right after the other chunked the Diablo and lamented it's loss. Some reviewers suggesting "Diablo is unusable with sensitive headphones and IEM's"..etc, etc., etc....
iFi Audio has 3 outboard IE MATCH devices for cheap. What was all the belly aching about? Thank God you discovered this a reported "MAGIC" and balanced this community out. Thank you!

Jun 4, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,436 of 2,988
While I don't own a Diablo (I own a BL) I always felt it was unfair of reviewers to drone on about the lack of IE MATCH on the Diablo. One reviewer right after the other chunked the Diablo and lamented it's loss. Some reviewers suggesting "Diablo is unusable with sensitive headphones and IEM's"..etc, etc., etc....
iFi Audio has 3 outboard IE MATCH devices for cheap. What was all the belly aching about? Thank God you discovered this a reported "MAGIC" and balanced this community out. Thank you!
It will not work with the 3 available IEmatch devices. You would need additional adapters to let it work. And this is just very uncomfortable. In my opinion, ifi should have set the Eco-mode not that powerful and/or include an IEmatch in the device as they did for all the other mobile iDSD devices. Because they advertised with the IEM compatibility.

I am looking forward for an IEmatch with 4.4mm male to 4.4mm female. Or 2 options with always an 4.4mm plug but with 2.5mm and 4.4mm female. The sound of the Diablo is just so amazing and engaging and I love it, just the lack of the IEmatch is some kind of drop of bitterness (fun fact: is this something you say in english? Because I used google translate for "Wehrmutstropfen" :D ).

But ifi already said that they are on it ... we just need to wait few more weeks I assume.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,437 of 2,988
It's been mine for two days and I have to try it, but the sound is very good, clean and powerful. I have noticed a small imbalance of channels at very low volume and some fault in the Led that indicates the bitrate.

Nothing to worry about here - this is quite normal between all devices that have analog volume pot!
I am looking forward for an IEmatch with 4.4mm male to 4.4mm female. Or 2 options with always an 4.4mm plug but with 2.5mm and 4.4mm female. The sound of the Diablo is just so amazing and engaging and I love it, just the lack of the IEmatch is some kind of drop of bitterness (fun fact: is this something you say in english? Because I used google translate for "Wehrmutstropfen" :D ).

We hear you all, seriously! Sorry we can't say anything more than that at this time!

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #1,439 of 2,988
We hear you all, seriously! Sorry we can't say anything more than that at this time!
I know iFi has heard us. They've alluded to the 4.4mm IE MATCH enthusiast's desire "problem" in the past. It's likely that their product cycle has been interrupted by supply chain problems because this is normally a very responsive company that aims to give their enthusiast customers what they want.
iFi Audio has always solicited from their customer's input about what they want right from the beginning. The original Micro iDSD was born completely from our headphone community input. In the mean time, we all need to give iFi's Diablo's functionality a break. It seems to be an amazing piece of gear from a sound quality perspective by all accounts and that's what counts. I'm confident that this small functionality IE Match dearth will be solved with a new offering in the best possible timeframe that is humanly possible from iFi Audio. And let's not forget that they generously included an iPurifier3 into the mix for free to the first buyers. iFi Audio has built up a LOT of good will with our headphone community in my estimation.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,440 of 2,988
so you haven't heard the diablo and you are stepping into the conversation to assure other people about the design of the device?

I loved the Diablo. It was the best portable amp for my LCD-3s but there was no IEM that I could use with it even in low gain without either experiencing imbalance or insane volume levels. My IEMatch is for sale right now, and that seems like what they need to package instead of an iPower (worthless on a battery powered device) or an iPurifier.

I like this device, but this is not a small functionality miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back