iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Mar 12, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #858 of 2,988
firmware is up!

https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/

(edit: alright- I’m late to this party)
so; not for spdif; meaning ‘no way’ to use this with latest consoles (eg switch/ps5 need usb outputs(UAC1), and conversion via a range of methods means it bypasses the one input that GTO is working on..

given PC users LIKE upsampling to crazy rates, and this nullifies that option, makes me wonder.. (not being a negative nell, there are hundreds of cheap DACs that are USB only.., many use this method and are happy ‘only’ using USB.)

my reference DAP/cd players/transports are all ruled out, as are the gaming consoles; for me that is EVERY USE CASE I bought the Diablo for.

anyone know if GTO filter ONLY worked on USB for all other models it has worked on? eg is it likely this is just an early iteration of the feature on the Diablo, and it is normal to expect it for the spdif in time?

glad when we got firmware we got ‘two firmwares’ (with vastly different postage dates); my guess is we need to (have the option to) be able to revert/change back.

(I suppose my hoping for GTO with/without firmware for UAC1 mode OR spdif input are just a delay gratification/be patient affair - and if it really mattered to me I could test GTO output from the Mac mini/android phone to learn if it is ‘for me’)
cheers Seb for keeping us in the loop, your updates and monitoring is ALWAYS appreciated. Thankyou iFi

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #863 of 2,988
Seems like there's no going back once you choose to update to either version... At least I don't see the OG firmware available for download.

Btw, as clarified earlier, MacOS does not support DSD512 with the Diablo in any case, so you're not losing anything there if you're on a Mac. No 768khz might turn some people off.. Just be warned.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #864 of 2,988
Diablo got a new firmware, a GTO firmware!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iDSD Diablo – Firmware 7.0c – GTO Filter / MQA / DSD256 (Sub-version)​

You're fast, Dean!

Try it yourself. If you do not like it, just go back to the firmware w/o GTO. It is simply a taste of preference. Nothing else.

Yep! It's all a matter of taste.

I have been listening with the GTO filter and I find very organic and analogue sounding.
It raises the performance even higher.

I am finishing my review for hxosplus magazine and I will try to post here an abbreviated version.

Short version - If - for your personal reasons- you fancy the best available transportable device with absolutely reference sound and power to drive almost everything then this is it.

Glad you're enjoying the GTO addition @Ichos!

I installed the new 7.0 firmware, and remain confused about functionality:

MQA does not consistently activate a magenta LED. Sometimes a yellowish color?
There is SPDIF input but not the promised MQA decoding (except via USB). When can we expect this?

Please detail the actual 7.0 features and also the differences with 7.0c. Thanks.

7.0: I will check in with the team on this. for you.

7.0c: All PCM LED colours will be the same colour due to GTO filter. GTO filter which upsamples USB audio. MQA, DSD256 (Windows), DSD128 (Mac), 384kHz. SPDIF output disabled (on USB to SPDIF capable units). No GTO for SPDIF signal. No DSD512. No 768kHz.

Re: SPIDIF/MQA decoding, I will check in on this for you as well. All I know is it's still be worked on.

I believe the Signature came with GTO filter installed from factory. Is it the filter switch on the side? It isn’t labeled GTO

The Signature does not come with GTO installed. You install the firmware do implement GTO!

GTO filter is implemented by firmware (software), not hardware.

Correct!

firmware is up!

https://ifi-audio.com/download-hub/

(edit: alright- I’m late to this party)

Later is better than never!

Hmm, should I try the cookies & cream or GTO....

Why not both? :p

We always say why not both too!

do the new 7.0 make it sound better?

It's all about personal preference!

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #865 of 2,988
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #866 of 2,988
Waiting on your impressions!
actually I re-edited my post (gave thanks to Seb for forum update that files exist), and highlighted how all my usage cases are not accounted for...

True I do have a Mac Mini for feeding a DAC (I prefer toslink output from it), and I HAVE trialled 768khz output over USB (for poops and giggles), but to be fair I am so unfamiliar with its sound output that the GTO filtering on/off (different firmwares) would be many hours of investment for a project that doesn’t ultimately interest me.
-I have 4000+ CDs that easily pop into the CD player ‘next to it’
+ true I can rip them, but I already have many many terabytes of ripped albums for feeding via SPDIF, and I get bored of buying SSD externals for ‘more storage’ (I have bought 5 terabytes of ‘performance’ SSDs (1000MB speeds in the last year, which was fine until the PS5 came along)). Having already shelves filled with external hard drives (loaded with music) I am happy not ripping all my new music, and enjoyed buying some beautiful timbre disc holders for my ‘goto’ favorite discs.
whilst I prefer spdif, I typically return any DAC with a USB circuit that is ‘better’ than the other inputs.. (that are ‘bullet point’ sales sheet additions or ‘afterthought’).
Owning transports that feed good sp/dif (most parts do not) has taken me awhile to collect/curate.

I bought the Diablo to serve me, and refuse to have el Diablo be my master :wink:

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #868 of 2,988
I’m confused. If I install GTO firmware on my Signature, I will no longer have MQA? Is that correct. Which setting on the filter switch corresponds to GTO?
There has never been a filter switch on the Diablo……….

You still have MQA rendering capability but you won’t get the appropriate magenta light because a filter has been applied to the signal.

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #869 of 2,988
MQA does not consistently activate a magenta LED. Sometimes a yellowish color?
Same experience here with 7.0 firmware. So far I've noticed that 96khz MQAs are yellow...

*Edit 1: ok not all the time? Noticed it in the Tidal app, but on Roon it seems fine...?

*Edit 2: Ok I'm surprised Roon can detect when I've got 7.0C loaded and declares the path as being "Enhanced".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back