iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Jan 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #347 of 2,988
They’re here! Same day delivery by my local store.
Happy to report that the EX1000 can be played on ”Normal” at 9-10 o’clock for me. Didn’t explode!

However I don’t think the EX1000 sound too different on the Diablo vs my tiny Creative SXFI..

The AirPods Max had to be driven in “Turbo” to have reasonable volume strangely...? So much for the ADC theory... They sound LOUDER.. but I still can’t tell too much of a difference beyond that. It takes a while to unplug the Diablo and also the cable from the APMs to try and A/B, so it’s not the best... I’ll have to test this further.

Will try to burn in the Diablo while waiting for my Drop-Hifiman HE5XX to arrive for further tests...

Do note that the difficulty in hearing any difference is more due to my current gear available than any fault of the Diablo!

Anyhoo.. I’ve placed an order. What is the recommended burn-in time? 200hrs?

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #348 of 2,988
In terms of performing just as a DAC alone, would the Neo and Diablo be equivalent performance-wise? Would the DAC in the Diablo be more similar to the IDSD Pro or the Neo? Or neither? I'm trying to understand the performance level differences between the Neo and the Diablo as iFi sees them. I realize one is technically for a desktop and one is portable, but I'm asking at just a purely "performance" level. I'm looking for a DAC for my Topping A90 headphone amp with the best of what iFi has to offer, while also staying under $1000. Thanks!

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #349 of 2,988
In terms of performing just as a DAC alone, would the Neo and Diablo be equivalent performance-wise? Would the DAC in the Diablo be more similar to the IDSD Pro or the Neo? Or neither? I'm trying to understand the performance level differences between the Neo and the Diablo as iFi sees them. I realize one is technically for a desktop and one is portable, but I'm asking at just a purely "performance" level. I'm looking for a DAC for my Topping A90 headphone amp with the best of what iFi has to offer, while also staying under $1000. Thanks!
I am also interested in this topic since current my main system is micro iDAC2 --> pro iCAN and I am curious if Neo or Diablo is clear upgrade path against micro iDAC2. I am hesitating to go to pro iDSD because of too much functional duplication with pro iCAN. I do not really need headphone amp section for the DAC though, I may consider buying if the price tag is well under $1,000.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #350 of 2,988
I've connected the Diablo to my iMac and streaming MQA through the Tidal app.. For some reason, if I do not check "Exclusive Mode", the indicator light on the Diablo is WHITE - PCM 768 (which is my iMac's MIDI settings). However, if I check "Exclusive Mode", it turns MAGENTA - DSD64/128? Anyone knows why?

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #351 of 2,988
Ok wait a search of the forum seems to indicate that they are MAGENTA for MQA... that's different from the manual though? https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/iDSD-Diablo-manual_Ver1.2.0.pdf

What do the different colours mean then if the manual is wrong? I've gotten WHITE, GREEN and MAGENTA thus far...

I've connected the Diablo to my iMac and streaming MQA through the Tidal app.. For some reason, if I do not check "Exclusive Mode", the indicator light on the Diablo is WHITE - PCM 768 (which is my iMac's MIDI settings). However, if I check "Exclusive Mode", it turns MAGENTA - DSD64/128? Anyone knows why?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #352 of 2,988
I am also interested in this topic since current my main system is micro iDAC2 --> pro iCAN and I am curious if Neo or Diablo is clear upgrade path against micro iDAC2. I am hesitating to go to pro iDSD because of too much functional duplication with pro iCAN. I do not really need headphone amp section for the DAC though, I may consider buying if the price tag is well under $1,000.

For the Micro iDAC2, my gut reaction tells me the Diablo is the more clear path for you if you don't want to go all out with the Pro iDSD.

In a nutshell between the Neo and the Diablo...

The Neo has one DAC chip, while the Diablo has two, and lower distortion, making the Diablo the clear winner here.

It also has a different internal power supply and slightly different balanced circuitry throughout the DAC.

Other things to re-iterate as well ~ the Diablo transportable = adaptable to go on-road or stay in office, while the Neo is desktop ~ desktop = focused on performance off mains.

Both have our house sound that you all are familiar with ~ being overall smooth and easy to listen to with fatigue!

Let me know if there's anything I can go more in-depth on.

Jan 29, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #353 of 2,988
For the Micro iDAC2, my gut reaction tells me the Diablo is the more clear path for you if you don't want to go all out with the Pro iDSD.

In a nutshell between the Neo and the Diablo...
The Neo has one DAC chip, while the Diablo has two, and lower distortion, making the Diablo the clear winner here.
It also has a different internal power supply and slightly different balanced circuitry throughout the DAC.
Other things to re-iterate as well ~ the Diablo transportable = adaptable to go on-road or stay in office, while the Neo is desktop ~ desktop = focused on performance off mains.
Both have our house sound that you all are familiar with ~ being overall smooth and easy to listen to with fatigue!
Let me know if there's anything I can go more in-depth on.
Thanks, Sebastien. That is what I thought, though my usage will be for a home audio system (not portable) since I own xDSD for portable. Micro iDAC2 is still an excellent DAC even now with an affordable price tag, while it has been discontinued.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #354 of 2,988
Hello All,

So I am mainly an IEM user and I made the mistake of buying the Diablo. Yes I was aware that it may not be a good idea but I still did. Let me tell all the people who are reading the thread, Diablo is not a good fit for sensitive IEMs. With my awesome luck, my unit has a decent bit of channel imbalance and by the time it is corrected the volume is too high.

I fail to understand why ifi don't fix the imbalance issue. They have had the same problem on several products. All previous similar class products had iEmatch, so you could get around it, but this is not the case with the Diablo. I understand this is a problem with the basic design of volume pots, but if you are going to offer a premium product, I believe this should have been thought about. Especially, if you claim it can work with IEMs in eco mode.

Volume pots are inexpensive, ifi could have utilized binning and used only the pots that have minimal imbalance. iEmatch adapter should have been part of the standard accessory set. Sorry rambling at this point, just disappointed.

Question for ifi engineering, can the eco mode power output be reduced to give better resolution / control with a firmware update? Is it possible, if yes can this be implemented?

cheers,

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #355 of 2,988
Which IEM are you using? I made the same decision as you but was lucky that the EX1000 were able to be driven even in Normal mode.

Hello All,

So I am mainly an IEM user and I made the mistake of buying the Diablo. Yes I was aware that it may not be a good idea but I still did. Let me tell all the people who are reading the thread, Diablo is not a good fit for sensitive IEMs. With my awesome luck, my unit has a decent bit of channel imbalance and by the time it is corrected the volume is too high.

I fail to understand why ifi don't fix the imbalance issue. They have had the same problem on several products. All previous similar class products had iEmatch, so you could get around it, but this is not the case with the Diablo. I understand this is a problem with the basic design of volume pots, but if you are going to offer a premium product, I believe this should have been thought about. Especially, if you claim it can work with IEMs in eco mode.

Volume pots are inexpensive, ifi could have utilized binning and used only the pots that have minimal imbalance. iEmatch adapter should have been part of the standard accessory set. Sorry rambling at this point, just disappointed.

Question for ifi engineering, can the eco mode power output be reduced to give better resolution / control with a firmware update? Is it possible, if yes can this be implemented?

cheers,

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #356 of 2,988
Hello All,

cheers,

This is one of my concerns regarding the Diablo as well. I do not get why it costs much more then the Signature with less features and with such an ugly design (ok, thats just my opinion and I am sure some other guys will maybe like it). From my point of view, it has more power and is fully balanced, but with less features (and not as flexible as the BL, which offers the most features of all the micro iDSD devices) and therefore it should cost almost the same as the Signature / BL to be recommended.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #357 of 2,988
Still don't get it.
Why someone would buy this powerhouse to use for iems , even when iFi doesn't suggest doing so and then complain about it.
And why IEmatch should be included?
It isn't designed for iems.
It is meant to drive difficult loads on the go or whatever but not iems.
There products for iems much cheaper and much more competent for the job.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #358 of 2,988
Still don't get it.
Why someone would buy this powerhouse to use for iems , even when iFi doesn't suggest doing so and then complain about it.
And why IEmatch should be included?
It isn't designed for iems.
It is meant to drive difficult loads on the go or whatever but not iems.
There products for iems much cheaper and much more competent for the job.

I want a device that can really do everything.
- Mobil useable
- Desktop Amp/DAC
- Drives high end IEM
- Drives all kind of full size headphones
- Really solid with good feeling in the hand
- Epic design
- Some adjustments to change some small things to my own preferences
- And the main impoartant point at the end: should sound awesome

The only device which can fulfull everything is ifi's awesome Signature.

But at the end, I decided to give the red devil a chance and few minutes ago, I received a parcel :)

48AC4E93-2172-428D-A96D-F25A54D77E5E.jpeg

1E7F669C-A5E4-4061-A3C5-79767A409340.jpeg

First thing I noticed is how quite my Arya sounds in turbo-mode. On the Signature, I can hear not beyond 10 oclock. On the Diablo it seems I need 11 to 12 oclock. But the Diablo has more power ... hm?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #359 of 2,988
I want a device that can really do everything.
- Mobil useable
- Desktop Amp/DAC
- Drives high end IEM
- Drives all kind of full size headphones
- Really solid with good feeling in the hand
- Epic design
- Some adjustments to change some small things to my own preferences
- And the main impoartant point at the end: should sound awesome

The only device which can fulfull everything is ifi's awesome Signature.

But at the end, I decided to give the red devil a change and I few min ago, I received a parcel :)

48AC4E93-2172-428D-A96D-F25A54D77E5E.jpeg

1E7F669C-A5E4-4061-A3C5-79767A409340.jpeg

First thing I noticed is how quite my Arya sounds in turbo-mode. On the Signature, I can hear not beyond 10 oclock. On the Diablo it seems I need 11 to 12 oclock. But the Diablo has more power ... hm?
Power and gain are two different things.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #360 of 2,988
Buona serata.
prima di tutto voglio ringraziarti per le preziose informazioni che dai ,,,,,
contribuisco a mio modesto e modesto parere a scrivere cosa penso di diablo vs firma:
prima di tutto la firma è più calda con una grana più grossa Insomma, più magnaccia in ascolto .... e con tutte le varie regolazioni che tutti conosciamo, ad esempio mi piace la funzione 3d attiva.
il Diablo più secco con una grana più fine e definita con gli strumenti più "incorniciati" .... ma senza le varie funzioni che offre la firma ...
Sono indeciso su quale scegliere ..... per me il diablo sarebbe meglio in quanto lo accopperei con i miei diffusori attivi dynaudio bm6 mkiii direttamente con il cavo in dotazione e in bilanciato ..... dopotutto la firma soprattutto con il 3d attivo forse mi coinvolge di più mentre ascolto, mi emoziona di più ...... con il mio sennheiser hd 660s.
Ci sono kmq due dispositivi diversi sia per l'ascolto che per quello che si vuole fare quindi secondo me IFI ha fatto bene a lanciare entrambi i prodotti ..... è stato un male solo per noi che dobbiamo decidere ...
Farò più sessioni di ascolto e vi farò sapere quale sceglierò
buona sera a tutti.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back