iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Feb 4, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #437 of 2,990
We're aware that many people would like to see such a product :)

Most people don't use IEMs with iDSD Diablo, but everyone will use its USB :wink:

I'll ask internally how it works.

I was referring to scenarios such as mine and the person's below. I don't use IEM's either but my Focal Stellias were much to loud to be used in conjunction with Diablo. Not going to knock the more expensive iPurifier3, but I didn't have any problems without using it in my audio chain.

I got my Diablo today. The sound is great. But either the people I asked are nearly deaf or I am doing something wrong. Running my HD800s in Turbo mode and Volume at 10 o'clock is way too loud for me. So I take normal. OK. But in ECO my Grado GH2 are really loud when both channels come in. So I am thinking about sending them back. So much power... I obviously don't need it.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #438 of 2,990
Planning very far ahead here for future me with money... but if the Diablo is a bright-leaning source, would it possibly be a poor match for a V-shaped headphone?

I’ve been wanting to get the new Aeon 2 Noire’s which are Harman Curve tuned with elevated bass and treble. Could the elevated treble from the Noire + bright-leaning Diablo = a too harsh/fatiguing combo?

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #439 of 2,990
I was referring to scenarios such as mine and the person's below. I don't use IEM's either but my Focal Stellias were much to loud to be used in conjunction with Diablo. Not going to knock the more expensive iPurifier3, but I didn't have any problems without using it in my audio chain.

In your case it's understandable that you would benefit more from our iEMatch, but as a manufacturer we think about what's beneficial for most people, and in case of iDSD Diablo it was our iPurifier.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #440 of 2,990
I returned the Diablo. It sounds awesome. But I don‘t know for what I need those. My Grados are too loud. Even my HD800s via 4.4 is too loud. I had more to do with turning the volume knob than with listening to music. Perhaps an Hip-Diablo?

Feb 5, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #444 of 2,990
trying it out
Still waiting for the little boat to turn up in Australia stuffed full of Diablos! And even then Brisbane doesn’t have anywhere with iFi equipment (to my knowledge!) I have to rely on reviews.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #445 of 2,990
In your case it's understandable that you would benefit more from our iEMatch, but as a manufacturer we think about what's beneficial for most people, and in case of iDSD Diablo it was our iPurifier.

I can't understand why the attenuation curve of the volume control can't be changed for fix this issue (tame the gain)!
How many more we will see sending back the Diable? I don't use IEM, but I'm afraid that the gain to my Oppo PM-1 and my Sennheiser's HD650 and HD800S will be excessive also.
Someone here told that the gain was so much with Sennheiser HD800S that he was sending it back...
Was the Diable designed only for the most inefficient and power demand headphones? Was that the goal?
If not, change the attenuation curve of the volume control. Period!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #446 of 2,990
I can't understand why the attenuation curve of the volume control can't be changed for fix this issue (tame the gain)!
How many more we will see sending back the Diable? I don't use IEM, but I'm afraid that the gain to my Oppo PM-1 and my Sennheiser's HD650 and HD800S will be excessive also.
Someone here told that the gain was so much with Sennheiser HD800S that he was sending it back...
Was the Diable designed only for the most inefficient and power demand headphones? Was that the goal?
To my ears, Diablo is a great match with my TH900mk2 and HD800S. The power is not overwhelming. For TH900mk2, normal gain on SE output works perfectly. And for HD800S, normal gain on balanced output is perfect. In both cases, the volume pot is around noon. I will update about the sound after burning in for at least 200 hours.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #447 of 2,990
To my ears, Diablo is a great match with my TH900mk2 and HD800S. The power is not overwhelming. For TH900mk2, normal gain on SE output works perfectly. And for HD800S, normal gain on balanced output is perfect. In both cases, the volume pot is around noon. I will update about the sound after burning in for at least 200 hours.
Did you try the HD800S on balanced output in Eco Mode?
Thank you for your reply...

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #448 of 2,990
Normal Hifi tracks thru Tidal sound different when sent thru the iPad Pro vs iMac. Both with iPurifier in the chain. iMac seems to have better resolution to my ears and less ”peaky” and harshness. Played the same track but somehow it’s just different. Isn’t the Diablo processing all the files through its own DAC? I expected them to sound the same. Strange.. anyone else has a similar experience?

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #449 of 2,990

The Diablo was fine used in conjunction with my HD800S Balanced. It was the Stellia that caused problems. I’m looking at tube amps now and from what I’m learning so far, the Stellia is quite a trouble maker. If HD650 / HD800S are your concerns, I wouldn’t worry much about the Diablo. Mine had a great volume pot FWIW. Having said that, I still feel the Signature is the better buy. I can’t music without Xbass and I have way more leverage over volume levels.

Chibs

Feb 6, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #450 of 2,990
The Diablo was fine used in conjunction with my HD800S Balanced. It was the Stellia that caused problems. I’m looking at tube amps now and from what I’m learning so far, the Stellia is quite a trouble maker. If HD650 / HD800S are your concerns, I wouldn’t worry much about the Diablo. Mine had a great volume pot FWIW. Having said that, I still feel the Signature is the better buy. I can’t music without Xbass and I have way more leverage over volume levels.

Chibs
Thank you so much!
Signature sounds the same as Diable for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back