iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #241 of 2,988
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #242 of 2,988
Never mind, it's not really an interesting subject .. 120db dynamic range are 120db frequencies weighted or not, differential or not .. from 0 to 120 db it's basically calculated with DB-SPL. The louder you listen the more dynamic range you can catch.. if you listen with 40db-spl volume you can't catch more than 40Db dynamic range.

As indicated in your link => This is why dB(A) is used. The reference quantity remains the same; 20 µPa and the units are still dB SPL

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #243 of 2,988
I wish @iFi audio would be a little more forthcoming about the firmware in the Diablo. I found this on their FAQ page: https://ifi-audio.com/faqs/which-firmware-has-it-installed/
Which says, “The iDSD Diablo comes with our v5.30 firmware pre-installed.”
Looking at the download page for v5.30 https://ifi-audio.com/firmware/unified-firmware-for-various-products/
the description says the firmware was released in 2018, so I would be surprised if that firmware will drive the newer XMOS chip here; the NEO needed new firmware for example.
Also, under the description for the v5.30 firmware the “Cons” listed say: “No DSD512” and “No 768kHz”. Yet the product page for the Diablo says these formats are supported.
I second that request for clarification, and would like to add that with previous iFi products there was always the choice between
1. an MQA-capable firmware that however restricted DSD to 256 and PCM to 384 kHz
2. a non-MQA-capable firmware that supported DSD512 and 768 kHz PCM
I would have expected this 2-firmware-solution to be a thing of the past with the Diablo, but seems not given what @Gus141 has found out, @iFi audio ?

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #244 of 2,988
You’ve just helped me make my decision to stick with the signature. I like my xBass, iem match and 3d too much.
Great review, I am waiting for my Signature to be delivered and was a bit worried if I haven’t missed the opportunity to buy el Diablo instead. From what I read the Signature will suit me better and the streaming challenges could probably be fixed with the firmware update. Thank you!

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #245 of 2,988
Great review, I am waiting for my Signature to be delivered and was a bit worried if I haven’t missed the opportunity to buy el Diablo instead. From what I read the Signature will suit me better and the streaming challenges could probably be fixed with the firmware update. Thank you!

My pleasure Alfredas,
Happy to help those of you that are in my shoes. It's not always easy to make these decisions, especially when tech is this new.
Welcome to Head-fi! I'm pretty new here myself. I doubt you will be disappointed with the Signature. I'm so excited to get mine back tomorrow!!!!

Chibs

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #246 of 2,988
Still waiting for mine over here in Oz... it’s quite the roller coaster following this thread - woohoo! Oh no! Woohoo! Oh no! But I do have a feeling it will end at Woohoo. I’m so curious to know whether the thing operates a GTO filter. You’d think the firmware would be unified with the Neo since they share the same XMOS chip (I think).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #247 of 2,988
Still waiting for mine Signature to arrive. I was surprised to hear about the inconsistencies in signal transfer while streaming from portable devices, but after checking the iFi AMP/DAC performance (I have one on my desktop), same issue of shutting the sound while switching between Tidal app and web browser, but only one time.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #248 of 2,988
My Diablo is scheduled to arrive today. I went back and forth between the Signature and Diablo since the Diablo was announced, and while the Signature seems like it would have been a good fit for my Andros with the built-in iEMatch, I like the idea of supporting a new architecture from iFi. I already have an external iEMatch that I can use if my Andros don’t like all the power this thing puts out. Who knows, now that iFi is using the pentaconn in more devices, maybe they’ll even put out a 4.4mm iEMatch to go with it? :L3000:

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #250 of 2,988
Still waiting for mine over here in Oz... it’s quite the roller coaster following this thread - woohoo! Oh no! Woohoo! Oh no! But I do have a feeling it will end at Woohoo. I’m so curious to know whether the thing operates a GTO filter. You’d think the firmware would be unified with the Neo since they share the same XMOS chip (I think).

The Neo and the Diablo are two different devices, with different circuitry and internals from the ground up. We wish it could be the same because it would be easier for us too!

Still waiting for mine Signature to arrive. I was surprised to hear about the inconsistencies in signal transfer while streaming from portable devices, but after checking the iFi AMP/DAC performance (I have one on my desktop), same issue of shutting the sound while switching between Tidal app and web browser, but only one time.

Our stuff is pretty dang reliable! Let us know if anything else strange pops up and we'll always see what we can do to help!

My Diablo is scheduled to arrive today. I went back and forth between the Signature and Diablo since the Diablo was announced, and while the Signature seems like it would have been a good fit for my Andros with the built-in iEMatch, I like the idea of supporting a new architecture from iFi. I already have an external iEMatch that I can use if my Andros don’t like all the power this thing puts out. Who knows, now that iFi is using the pentaconn in more devices, maybe they’ll even put out a 4.4mm iEMatch to go with it? :L3000:

Eco mode should suffice for the Andros! Re: the 4.4 IEmatch, nothing that we know about yet!

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #252 of 2,988
will be able to install a firmware that supports DSD512 and not have the GTO filter like I can with the Signature.

Hey @Gus141 ~The Diablo supports DSD512 right out of the box!

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #253 of 2,988
@Sebastien Chiu, the main drawback of these devices is the volume pot lottery, any plans of fixing that in a future device?

We recommend using IEMatch with the Diablo through 1/4 port ~ our Eco mode is also built-in for IEMs if you are experiencing this with sensitive devices at very low volumes.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #254 of 2,988
I received my Diablo last night. I’ll report back after I’ve had a chance to compare it to my other portable and desktop DAC/Amps (Walkman NW-WM1A, Sony TA-ZH1ES, Schiit Modius w/Vali 2+ and Jot2, and Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir2) and various headphones/iems (Sony Z7, HD600, Focal Clear, LCD-2, Andromeda IEM’s, and LCDi4). I listened for a long time with the Focal Clears last night connected to the balanced input and sound quality was extremely resolving, detailed and airy. Of course, there was lots of power, but I tried it in all three different modes (Eco, Normal, and Turbo) and it seemed to give a slightly different soundstage in each, with a bit more forward sound in the higher modes. So far, it doesn’t seem bright to me, but it seems neutral and resolving in an audiophile sense, similar to my ATC speakers fed with a high quality source, rather than the harsh, straining sound of something that I’d view as bright in a negative sense.

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #255 of 2,988
I'm back baby!
IMG_9894.jpeg

One thing I realized using the signature now is I have absolutely no trouble with the way MQA light staying on and audio cutouts. It works just as well as the Diablo in this regard. I think the problem was with a USB C hub that I was using in the beginning (That's all I had at the time). Using a simple Ugreen cable I got from amazon and no more nitpicks!!!

IVERYHAPPY!!!!!!!! :L3000:
Chibs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back