iFi audio iCAN Phantom - Vanish into the music!
May 27, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #77 of 286
Looking forward to the inevitable Signature version of this, hopefully with a built in DAC.

Aesthetics aside, I do dream of replacing all my gear with a single unit. The Phantom, feature-wise, almost gets there.
While an ideal goal for anyone, having a single unit kind of paints you into a corner.

May 27, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #78 of 286
While an ideal goal for anyone, having a single unit kind of paints you into a corner.
Honestly I've been chasing gear for over a decade now. I'm ready to one and done my chain and focus funds on top tier headphones. I find most amps and dacs at the top end are so close in performance, it no longer matters.

Unless there's a disruptive innovation in amplification, I don't see a need to spend more on those final few points in the chain when headphones are the most influential component to audio performance IMHO.

May 27, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #79 of 286
I've read the thread. The Phantom looks different (for me, as appealing as the yet-to-be-released Tesla pickup). It seems to me that the black-on-black photos are intended to obscure this. To me, it looks like two units from two manufacturers super-glued together. Prior iFi products looked elegant.

"...installing update files via your home Wi-Fi network" is interesting but is it necessary? The six data cards appear to be a solution looking for a problem. I would prefer a knob or some dip switches for the voltage. These are not show-stoppers but they seem confusing to me and I don't think this is the product space for more confusion.

To be discovered: How does it sound? Where is it serviced? What is the obsolescence rate? Do I plan to replace it in three years? First impressions? Warranty (big personal concern)?

I think the features are plenty appealing. Electrostatics can sound great, but matching components can be a chore, and options are few compared to solutions for dynamic driver and planar magnetic headphones. One box for Electrostatics (and also for dynamics, planars, and any IEM) seems great. The iFi Phantom can be a solution for all headphones at the desktop, but the presentation seems esoteric. Individual amp solutions for individual headphones may be a better route for me.

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #80 of 286
The back of the 620 volt bias selection card for the Phantom lists the Shangri-La, Sangria-La Jr and Jade 2. Can these 3 e-stat headphones run at 620v rather than the 580 volts that is the default on many e-stat amplifiers? Does it make a difference in sound?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 8.10.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 8.10.44 PM.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 0
May 27, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #81 of 286
The back of the 620 volt bias selection card for the Phantom lists the Shangri-La, Sangria-La Jr and Jade 2. Can these 3 e-stat headphones run at 620v rather than the 580 volts that is the default on many e-stat amplifiers? Does it make a difference in sound?
HifiMan spec's the Shangri-la and Shang Jr. bias voltage as 550-650V, so 620V should be safe. As to the sonic effect vs. 580V, why not try it on your iESL? I haven't done so... yet.

May 27, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #82 of 286
HifiMan spec's the Shangri-la and Shang Jr. bias voltage as 550-650V, so 620V should be safe. As to the sonic effect vs. 580V, why not try it on your iESL? I haven't done so... yet.
I will do that but I just wanted to know why there is a range of voltage and also to be sure I don’t screw up my Shangri-La’s which I really appreciate more and more the longer I have them.

May 28, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #83 of 286
I think this is really cool and if I had multiple high-end headphones and electrostats this is something I would definitely look at getting.

May 28, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #85 of 286
I never had the chance to try the original IESL for electrostats, but everything I've heard about it has been overwhelmingly negative. Why spend over half a grand on a converter box when you could just get the real thing? I guess I understand the appeal of having such a versitile system, but the price seems to high to justify for what ultimately is a mediocre energizer setup.

I personally think the design is excellent. The controls sit on top of a dark (heavy) podium. Like the base of a sculpture.
I'm completely in between two minds when it comes to the design. I'm so used to seeing perfectly symmetrical and color-matched stacked boxes that everything else looks out of place on first sight. Other times I look at it as a breath of fresh air, and something I wish other manufacturers did more.

still 50/50 on weather this is ugly or brilliant, my intuition for design is pretty foggy on this one.

Like a lot of gear, I might just have to see it and feel things in person before being definitive.

May 28, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #86 of 286
I never had the chance to try the original IESL for electrostats, but everything I've heard about it has been overwhelmingly negative. Why spend over half a grand on a converter box when you could just get the real thing? I guess I understand the appeal of having such a versitile system, but the price seems to high to justify for what ultimately is a mediocre energizer setup.
Some of negative reactions were about the iESL being powered by the Ifi ican amplifier. It was marketed this way but some did not like the results. When connected directly to speaker amp taps it sounds good to my ears and I think others might agree.

May 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #87 of 286
Some of negative reactions were about the iESL being powered by the Ifi ican amplifier. It was marketed this way but some did not like the results. When connected directly to speaker amp taps it sounds good to my ears and I think others might agree.
Even if it does sound good, is that really enough? Comparing the price of the IESL + Speaker amp to an energizer of the same price is there really any competition?

In another example, lets say you already have a speaker amp. Even at just the cost of the IESL, would the the IESL+Speaker Amp system perform equally or better than an equivalently priced energizer?

just looked up the price of the iESL, and... HOLD ON, $1500?
All in, probably looking at at $2500, or even just $1500 if you already have a speaker amp. Maybe I'm missing something here, and maybe the iESL has some amazing feature I'm not aware of that makes it worth the price.

I'm at least glad ifi at least makes some electrostatic equipment, as not many companies do, but this seems like more of an overpriced gimmick than anything.

May 28, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #88 of 286
It takes everything for everyone: in any case there are so many possible choices in devices that each person will find his good genius, whether on equipment at €200 or €2000.

It is when you reach astronomical sums of €20000 and more than that you can ask yourself the question about interest. But it's a debate that has always existed in Hifi!

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #89 of 286
I will do that but I just wanted to know why there is a range of voltage and also to be sure I don’t screw up my Shangri-La’s which I really appreciate more and more the longer I have them.
So I plugged the Shangri-La Sr into the iESL and selected 620 bias. I did not hear much of a difference if any. Going forward I'll stick with the standard 580. Connected to a Ragnarok 2, I think the iESL sounds very good. Perhaps the new Phantom may turn out to be a really interesting device after all. Despite the looks, I am beginning to become intrigued. I would consider buying one just for the heck of it if the reviews are good.

May 28, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #90 of 286
Despite the looks, I am beginning to become intrigued.
Eventually it all boils down to sound (and functionality). I think, the Phantom will mostly attract buyers who own a collection of headphones including electrostats and want to simplify their amplifier set up. Otherwise the Phantom will only become a true success if it really improves on the sound of the iCan Signature. Unfortunately I won't be able to test that as at least in the first round iFi is looking for reviewers with electrostatic headphones and I do not own any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back