iFi audio hip-dac 2: just the tonic for headphone fans
Oct 6, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #106 of 314
Any impressions on the improvements in sound? Would love to read your detailed impressions, as I assume you owned the original hip-dac?

Thanks.
I'm sorry. I've never owned the original hip-dac. I've only heard it for a few hours and my impression is that the sound is similar, only a bit 'clearer' perhaps.
I can't do a detailed review for two reasons:
  1. My english is not enough
  2. I'm not qualified for do it

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #107 of 314
MQA don't work without MQA file's, it supports ISO file's too but that not a reason not to buy one,now is it? Just say I hate MQA and Bob lol 😆
Umm, no.

An ISO file (often called an ISO image), is an archive file that contains an identical copy (or image) of data found on an optical disc, like a CD or DVD. They are often used for backing up optical discs, or for distributing large file sets that are intended to burned to an optical disc.

The name ISO was taken from the name of the file system used by optical media, which is usually ISO 9660. You can think of an ISO image as a complete copy of everything stored on a physical optical disc like CD, DVD, or Blu-ray disc—including the file system itself. They are a sector-by-sector copy of the disc, and no compression is used. The idea behind ISO images is that you can archive an exact digital copy of a disc, and then later use that image to burn a new disc that’s in turn an exact copy of the original. Most operating systems (and many utilities) also allow you to mount an ISO image as a virtual disc, in which case all your apps treat it as if a real optical disc were inserted.

While many people do use ISO images for creating backups of their optical disc, ISO images these days are used primarily for distributing large programs and operating systems, because it allows all the files to be contained in one easily downloadable file. People can then decide whether they want to mount that image or use it to burn an optical disc. You don't "mount" music files - As with any other archive, an ISO image includes all the data of files contained on the archived CD/DVD, or any other disc format. ... ISO images do not support multi-track, thus they cannot be used for audio CDs, VCD, and hybrid audio CDs.

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #108 of 314
Umm, no.

An ISO file (often called an ISO image), is an archive file that contains an identical copy (or image) of data found on an optical disc, like a CD or DVD. They are often used for backing up optical discs, or for distributing large file sets that are intended to burned to an optical disc.

The name ISO was taken from the name of the file system used by optical media, which is usually ISO 9660. You can think of an ISO image as a complete copy of everything stored on a physical optical disc like CD, DVD, or Blu-ray disc—including the file system itself. They are a sector-by-sector copy of the disc, and no compression is used. The idea behind ISO images is that you can archive an exact digital copy of a disc, and then later use that image to burn a new disc that’s in turn an exact copy of the original. Most operating systems (and many utilities) also allow you to mount an ISO image as a virtual disc, in which case all your apps treat it as if a real optical disc were inserted.

While many people do use ISO images for creating backups of their optical disc, ISO images these days are used primarily for distributing large programs and operating systems, because it allows all the files to be contained in one easily downloadable file. People can then decide whether they want to mount that image or use it to burn an optical disc. You don't "mount" music files - As with any other archive, an ISO image includes all the data of files contained on the archived CD/DVD, or any other disc format. ... ISO images do not support multi-track, thus they cannot be used for audio CDs, VCD, and hybrid audio CDs.
As someone who used to "borrow" a lot of ISOs from the Interwebs about 10 or 15 years ago, this is a terrific description of an ISO. :)

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #109 of 314
Ok...but iPhones these days are packing with Lightining to USB-C cables, which can be used for both data and power connections. I don't see the need for this camera connector and quite frankly it seems rather obtuse and ridiculous. Like my friends who use iOS devices would really want to pack this giant dongle just to use a portable amp. Kinda defeats the purpose as a portable device if users need these adapters and makes it unnecessarily clunky.
FiiO portable DACs come with a perfect MFI lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable that obviates the need for the camera connector kit mess, so one wonders why they could figure out such a handy workaround while iFi still struggles?

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #110 of 314
FiiO portable DACs come with a perfect MFI lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable that obviates the need for the camera connector kit mess, so one wonders why they could figure out such a handy workaround while iFi still struggles?
I've never owned a FiiO DAC/amp, but my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle also came with a MFI Lightning to USB-C OTG cable. Problem was, it was such a cheap, thin, spindly piece of crap that I would prefer to use the more durable Apple CCK connector like I do now with my iFi hip-dac.

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #111 of 314
Got my v2 in yesterday and will have some time to properly listen this weekend. Excited to test out both cans and IEMs!

Attachments

• E2F2EB72-8427-4147-841D-0AF656DC8825.jpeg
    E2F2EB72-8427-4147-841D-0AF656DC8825.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 7, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #112 of 314
Got my v2 in yesterday and will have some time to properly listen this weekend. Excited to test out both cans and IEMs!
I got mine this morning and have been listening all day. Non fatiguing for sure, that's the first thing I'll say.

I listen exclusively to vinyl at home, so that's where my ears are on the sound spectrum. I had the original Hip Dac and I didn't really like it. This new version has been a different experience. It's really well balanced and smooth. I like the soundstage. It's plenty sparkly on top but not edgy so far. The bass is really nice with my Oppo PM-3s. I'm listening to the Heartworn Highways soundtrack now and it's just lovely.

I've had 6 or 7 portable dac amps to use with my iPad and iPhone and MacBook Pro including the iDSD, Mojo, Fiio Q3 and so far, in limited listening, this is clearly my favorite. I get annoyed quickly with many digital components. Not happening here so far.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #113 of 314
Well I must say that the iFi is a gorgeous piece of equipment that, at least in photos, reeks build quality. I have owned a few FiiO product and while their DAPs are quality built with fairly good looks, their DAC/Amps are not nearly so good looking as this iFi unit. As I have said before, looks matter and the iFi has that going for it.

Which is nice...

But MQA is still for frAudiophiles and I ain't one of them.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #114 of 314
Well I must say that the iFi is a gorgeous piece of equipment that, at least in photos, reeks build quality. I have owned a few FiiO product and while their DAPs are quality built with fairly good looks, their DAC/Amps are not nearly so good looking as this iFi unit. As I have said before, looks matter and the iFi has that going for it.

Which is nice...

But MQA is still for frAudiophiles and I ain't one of them.

Not sold on MQA at all but did a best quality Tidal vs best quality Spotify a-b test on this device and it really points out how much better Tidal is MQA track or not.

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #115 of 314
As someone who used to "borrow" a lot of ISOs from the Interwebs about 10 or 15 years ago, this is a terrific description of an ISO. :)
Still is. I downloaded the latest Ubuntu just yesterday.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #116 of 314
I got mine this morning and have been listening all day. Non fatiguing for sure, that's the first thing I'll say.

I listen exclusively to vinyl at home, so that's where my ears are on the sound spectrum. I had the original Hip Dac and I didn't really like it. This new version has been a different experience. It's really well balanced and smooth. I like the soundstage. It's plenty sparkly on top but not edgy so far. The bass is really nice with my Oppo PM-3s. I'm listening to the Heartworn Highways soundtrack now and it's just lovely.

I've had 6 or 7 portable dac amps to use with my iPad and iPhone and MacBook Pro including the iDSD, Mojo, Fiio Q3 and so far, in limited listening, this is clearly my favorite. I get annoyed quickly with many digital components. Not happening here so far.
I've been on the Q3 for quiet some time now and wanted to try something different. Was using the M11 Pro before that but I never felt that spark with Fiio products. This one gorgeous to look at and has that nice gentle warmth around some of the harshest frequencies

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #117 of 314

Lovely stuff and hip-dac 2 fits there like a glove with your IEMs! Which Pelican case is it btw.? 1040?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #119 of 314
Handled my HD660s and Ananda with ease during some quiet listening time yesterday

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #120 of 314
Lovely stuff and hip-dac 2 fits there like a glove with your IEMs! Which Pelican case is it btw.? 1040?
Yes, the 1040 is pretty much the perfect size for this little ensemble!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back