iFi audio hip-dac 2: just the tonic for headphone fans
Mar 31, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #272 of 314
Apr 15, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #273 of 314
Hello,

I ordered the Ifi Hip Dac 2 for the road.
I had been thinking about Dap, Hip 2 and Gryphon for a long time.
In the end I thought the Gryphon was actually too expensive as long as Apple castrate their Bluetooth to SBC I didn’t see any added value in it.
I still prefer to use Apple devices in my private life.
Since I still have the Nuprime Dac dongle in use, I didn’t think the changeover would be too big.
Even if Bluetooth would have been nice.

I still have a few questions that have not yet been fully clarified.

Charging: 5 V was clear, can I charge it with the normal smartphone charger?

Imatch:
Certainly a matter of taste but what about the Aeon R/T? With or without Imatch?

Apple:
I found the cable included cool for the money.
Thanks Ifi.
Still a bit irritated by the connection but logical for a better hold in the socket.
Why not another direct to Lightning?
If I saw it right I can use the Apple charging cable as an extension if I want to be lazy when connecting it to the Ifi cable?

Cable:
Would better cables make a difference sonically on the Hip2 or can I leave it alone?

Burn in: Does the Hip 2 need a burn in?
If so, how long?

Firmware: I looked on the website and it is only released with the serial number, how can I tell which one is installed? Should I upgrade if I still have an older one?

I’ll be surprised what I can expect in terms of sound, I’ve never heard Mqa before.
I’m looking forward to the Xbass and the rest.
And how it will do the small Hip Dac 2.
I also found it cool that all Ifi devices have no problems with Apple in terms of connectivity, I wanted to praise that.
I’ve been looking for a long time to find something that is compatible with Android and Apple.

Apr 18, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #274 of 314
Charging: 5 V was clear, can I charge it with the normal smartphone charger?

You can as long as that charger outputs 5V.

Certainly a matter of taste but what about the Aeon R/T? With or without Imatch?

It's up to one's needs really. If you lack headroom (volume steps go too loud too quickly), then iEMatch should be engaged.

Would better cables make a difference sonically on the Hip2 or can I leave it alone?

Some folks say that cables matter and report their impact on performance, while others don't detect any changes. Trying a nice cable for yourself would be thus the best way to know for sure :)

Burn in: Does the Hip 2 need a burn in?

After about 100 hours or so you should be good, but the biggest changes occur early on, within first 20 hours or so.

Firmware: I looked on the website and it is only released with the serial number, how can I tell which one is installed? Should I upgrade if I still have an older one?

Please install our USB driver and within its app you should see what firmware version is currently installed on your iFi device. Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 6, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #275 of 314
Do I need to turn on the Hip DAC to charge it? Sorry if this is a silly question.

May 7, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #277 of 314
Which LED do I need to look at, the one above the power plug or around the volume knob when charging?

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #280 of 314
Comparing the hip dac 2 to the idsd signature, the main thing i notice is the dac 2 has more background noise. But the signature might have one of the lowest noise floors ive ever heard when compared to other high end daps.

Signature has less noise by a considerable margin than fiio m17 with my iems even with iematch off.

Hip dac 2 is still very impressive imho especially for only $199

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #281 of 314
Hello,
What do you mean by noise floor?

Mine is dead silent in that respect when I use it with the tablets.
I haven't used it on the PC yet.

For the money, you really can't go wrong with the Hip 2.
I agree that it is really impressive.
It was one of those purchases where I don't look back.
Has everything you need.
It's always a pleasure to enjoy music with it when you're on the road or just at home and don't feel like going to your desk.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #282 of 314
Hello,
What do you mean by noise floor?

Mine is dead silent in that respect when I use it with the tablets.
I haven't used it on the PC yet.

For the money, you really can't go wrong with the Hip 2.
I agree that it is really impressive.
It was one of those purchases where I don't look back.
Has everything you need.
It's always a pleasure to enjoy music with it when you're on the road or just at home and don't feel like going to your desk.

I'm specifically referring to in ear monitors not headphones. I don't listen to headphones.

On certain songs especially mp3 or YouTube music you can hear noise with certain iems like legend x.

On campfire audio iems like Solaris 2020 that noise would be louder.

Comparing to idsd signature, the signature is always dead silent black background with no noise.

You might not notice the difference if you've never heard the idsd signature to compare.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #283 of 314
I'm specifically referring to in ear monitors not headphones. I don't listen to headphones.

On certain songs especially mp3 or YouTube music you can hear noise with certain iems like legend x.

On campfire audio iems like Solaris 2020 that noise would be louder.

Comparing to idsd signature, the signature is always dead silent black background with no noise.

You might not notice the difference if you've never heard the idsd signature to compare.

Are you using the PowerMatch off when listening to your iems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back